Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thoughts On Redcat Racings Everest Gen7 Sport?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Thoughts On Redcat Racings Everest Gen7 Sport?

I own plenty of trucks, and have never owned anything made by Redcat Racing. I saw this Everest Gen7 Sport RTR for $200 and was a bit surprised to see what all you get for it's $199 price tag. I just went ahead and ordered one through Tower Hobbies today. Anyone here played with one of these much? Thoughts? I was tempted to step up to the Pro, but then I thought that kind of defeated the purpose of buying such an inexpensive basic truck. I don't see how you can go too wrong at that price, and have seen quite a few happy customer vids on Youtube!

Everest-Gen7
Attached Images

NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thoughts On Redcat Racings Everest Gen7 Sport?

Had a localish event this past weekend where we did a Gen7 spec class.
These trucks are very capable out of the box.
Needs a few upgrades in the steering dept but there are some free mods to do.
Also beware the trans gears and diffs are all plastic on the sport.
And the trans gears are not the same as the Axial ones like they used to be.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-14-2017 at 05:42 PM.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I was surprised how fairly durable it is. for 200 bucks its worth the price. with some upgrades it can be a tough scaler
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

From everything I have been reading, You guys are pretty much hitting on the points I expected. Upgrades may be needed in the future, but at this price, I think this will be able to give some people a good start that they otherwise couldn't afford. Add it convinced me to buy my first Redcat vehicle as I assume it will do for others as well. I haven't heard enough about them for them to really be on my radar, but a complete RTR for $199? Yeah, that caught my eye!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

I'm enjoying mine. I have a series of videos planned to show a few low cost upgrades that should help significantly. For a total investment below $300 including upgrades, it should end up taking it from a good rig to a great one.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
I have sold a few of these.
Had a localish event this past weekend where we did a Gen7 spec class.
These trucks are very capable out of the box.
Needs a few upgrades in the steering dept but there are some free mods to do.
Also beware the trans gears and diffs are all plastic on the sport.
And the trans gears are not the same as the Axial ones like they used to be.
So the pro has the metal gears... I hope they sell the metal gears as an upgrade/replacement part eventually. Not a deal breaker for me, but its a good reason why I'd pick up a pro over the sport.
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren.dnb View Post
So the pro has the metal gears... I hope they sell the metal gears as an upgrade/replacement part eventually. Not a deal breaker for me, but its a good reason why I'd pick up a pro over the sport.
They're already available. They've been around for a while because they're an upgrade part for the Everest 10 axles. part number 180009. I bought a pair on Ebay cheap, but they're coming via slow boat from China. If you want to pay more, you can get them stateside and have them in a couple days.

Here's where I bought mine from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18009-Alumi...72.m2749.l2649
Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren.dnb View Post
The Pro has metal diff gears
The trans gears are still plastic
Those are not available yet.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Also, Are the driveshafts pin through, or set screw mounted? And thanks for the link on the metal locker pieces! I see that being a must! Mine is supposed to show up monday. Better get my testing done on my home brew LED controller so I can finish installing LEDs in my TRX-4, RC4WD Cruiser, and this Gen7!
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
The Pro has metal diff gears
The trans gears are still plastic
Those are not available yet.
Ah good to know! I'm sure they'll come out with them as everyone starts tinkering with the Gen7. Sure is a great looking truck! My son is counting down the days till Christmas lol.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

between the gears, cvd's and nice aluminum shocks that work well, the Pro is worth more than the $100 extra it costs, IMO.

disclaimer: I have the Pro.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
between the gears, cvd's and nice aluminum shocks that work well, the Pro is worth more than the $100 extra it costs, IMO.

disclaimer: I have the Pro.
I agree with the thought behind this, but the appeal to me was the $200 price tag. Once you get into the price range of the pro, I tend to start looking at other options. But nothing is competing on a $200 level right now. I think I'd hit up the HPI Venture before the pro at that price range, even though the Venture is running that terrible FJ Cruiser body...
Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 AM   #13

The $200 price point appealed to me too. I don’t care about aluminum bodied shocks. The plastic bodied shocks on the Sport work fine. As long as the insides are smooth and round, plastic bodies work just as well. The CVAs and metal lockers are both worthwhile components on the Pro, but I got them for my Sport for under $40.

That said, the Pro is still no doubt worth the money between the upgrades and the extra cosmetics if you want that stuff. In my case, I didn't want all the weight up high, so if I bought the Pro, I would have removed the roof rack and the body cage anyway.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #14

Yeah, the weight with the Pro is a small concern but its all good. It will be a good lesson for him in tuning and modding which he wants to do. Although he did say that Pro or Sport he'd be happy, so we'll see. He likes things that are "complete" coming out of the box for now, but I see him starting to tinker more and more so. By November he could say "Dad just get the sport, and I can pick out what I want for the accessories.."

Of course if he says that, it'll be music to my ears haha... He approaches his RC's "top down" if you will... likes them complete and makes small changes.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well, I got it, and I have to say, I am pretty impressed. I will add the metal lockers at least, but this is a great little truck. This is well worth the money IMO. I already added led's and metal d shackles. And have only really driven it on in house obstacles so far.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
They're already available. They've been around for a while because they're an upgrade part for the Everest 10 axles. part number 180009. I bought a pair on Ebay cheap, but they're coming via slow boat from China. If you want to pay more, you can get them stateside and have them in a couple days.

Here's where I bought mine from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18009-Alumi...72.m2749.l2649
And thanks for that link man! I went ahead and ordered 2 from it!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

i have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the work Redcat put into this rig. the inner fenders, aluminum shocks, and other scale accessories are pretty cool. Also the collaborated with BPC Chassis for the steel chassis, and i own bpc stuff and the quality is pretty good so hats off to Redcat
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
And thanks for that link man! I went ahead and ordered 2 from it!
Glad I could help. One thing to be aware of: When you get them, remove the screws and add Loctite. On both of my units, all 4 screws were loose... not just hand tight, but loose enough for the ring gear to rock.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

If I was in the market for a new budget truck, I'd get the sport for the $200 entry fee.

I'm a good example of the need for capable budget class crawlers. I'm 44yr old and never had an intrest in anything RC. Always been big into off-roading, dirtbikes, karting, etc. I've got 3 kids (boys 10,11 and girl 6). My boys ran across some RC rock crawling vids on YouTube, while watching a dirtbike video. They got interested in RC trucks and started learning about truck models and things. They wanted to get Redcat E10's. Initially I was against it because the Walmart RC cars / helicopters they've had in the past always end up broken in short order. There was no way I was going to spend $150 (x2) on another RC truck. They begged me for jobs they could do to earn money, so I put them to work and they earned the $150 each to order an E10. Their nonstop talking about them got me interested and they begged me to get one for myself to play with them. So we ended up ordering 3 E10's.

We've had them a few months and all three of us have gotten hooked. It's went from free tweaks to get the truck to perform better, to tires /wheels, servos, shocks, SCX10 chassis, making custom links, bodies, etc. We spend lots of time tweaking and driving the trucks, having fun and making memories. We have a house build going on and we literally spent from the time we woke up until dusk last Saturday on the huge piles of dirt from the basement dig, building roads and driving the trucks. I'm actually taking the left over parts and cruising the classifieds to put an E10 back together for my daughter to have her own truck.

We've probably spent enough to have bought 3 RTR SCX10's by now, but would've never gotten into the hobby at all if $300+ was the price of entry for 1 truck.

IMO, Redcat owns the entry level RC crawler space, and has to be bringing a lot of people like me into the hobby, that otherwise would've not seriously considered it.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:27 AM   #20
MWRCA'er

Seen a few at local events they seem like the best way in for the $$. It's bringing in new people to the crawler meets like crazy. It's old axle tech but it's cost effective and fun. The motor and electrics seem bang on what you want for my area, good rip but not to fast. I feel its different than the SCX10/TRX4 it has more of a basis on performance and less on the appearance factor. Big tires, fair chassis clearance and wheelbase. It's decent out of the box without having to tell new guys to remove heavy roof racks/spare tires/ bumpers. It allows a new guy to hang with the crew the first day. It really needs additional weight installed low but so does every truck out of the box.

A few have been taken apart at my local hobby shop. The axles look mostly compatible with AX10/Scx10 parts. The ring gear dropped right in, even the C hubs looked to mount the same but with slightly off centered holes that could be easily fixed with a rotary tool.

Last edited by Mnster; 10-31-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thoughts On Redcat Racings Everest Gen7 Sport? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Gen7 Sport project Jim85IROC General Scale Talk 31 01-16-2018 02:13 PM
New Everest Gen7 Pro Issues and Comments nightcrawler48 Redcat Crawlers 45 01-10-2018 05:53 PM
Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 1/10th scale 1.9 603Hobby Redcat Crawlers 34 12-10-2017 08:17 AM
Anybody taken delivery on a Redcat Gen7 yet? attaboy General Crawlers 8 10-20-2017 09:49 AM
Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat jeepgeek2002 General Scale Talk 19 10-10-2017 06:02 AM