Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Counter rotating axle for scx10 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 04:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Counter rotating axle for scx10 II

I'm wondering if there is an axle for scx10 II which can counter rotate. I mean the ar60 axle of the Wraith can rotate both direction changing the bevel gear side and nothing else. In the Ar44 axle the position of the spur bevel gear is fixed relative to the pinion, so there is no easy way to drive it with a counter rotating shaft. A solution which was adopted with old scx10 axle was to flip it bottom up. Doing the same with an Ar44 axle the upper link mount would go down, so it should be cut and rebuilt some way.

Thanks
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Counter rotating axle for scx10 II

Just a heads up: because of the hypoid design the pinion will end up sitting low if you flip the ring gear. You are right, the whole ring/pinion assembly needs to be flipped. It is not as simple as just flipping the ring gear. The only housing that I know of that looks like it would work is the new Diamond Pro from SSD because it has clearance for the ring gear in left or right position, the third member is a separate piece from everything else, and it looks like it could be mounted upside down with no problems.
Diamond Pro Axle Case for SCX10 II

There may be others out there as well, but this is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Last edited by RCMFMaxxMan; 11-06-2017 at 01:33 PM.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
Just a heads up: because of the hypoid design the pinion will end up sitting low if you flip the ring gear. You are right, the whole ring/pinion assembly needs to be flipped. It is not as simple as just flipping the ring gear. The only housing that I know of that looks like it would work is the new Diamond Pro from SSD because it has clearance for the ring gear in left or right position, the third member is a separate piece from everything else, and it looks like it could be mounted upside down with no problems.
Diamond Pro Axle Case for SCX10 II

There may be others out there as well, but this is the only one that immediately comes to mind.
I can confirm that the Diamond Pro SCX10 II axle can have the ring and pinion flipped in the housing for reverse rotation. It may be a first batch issue however mine are not as smooth reversed as they are in standard orientation.

Deadloc sells and at least one other company I know of is currently working on a truss that allows you to flip the stock 10 II axle and cut the original upper link mounts off of the axle.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Flipping the ar44 reduces clearance below the driveshaft, and due to the design of the gears they only go together one way. The two easiest solutions are flipping the ring gear in the front axle, which is not possible on some axles, or a special transfer case that makes each driveshaft counter-rotate (usually advertised as torque twist reducers/eliminators or something like that for bombers and wraiths).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
You can flip the gear in the SSD Diamond Pro but then the third member needs to be flipped giving you a very low pinion. Not a good idea.

So you have two options now:
Use an SCX10 II front axle

Or
Use as SSD D60 for SCX10 on the front as the ring gear is on the opposite side.
We no longer have the XR width option but the Pro Steering kit superseeds that anyway.

I quoted the above posts from another related thread.
I thought it was sufficient to put the ring gear on the other side as I can do with Axial Ar60 axles. The only difficulty was to find an axle case where ring gear can be put on both sides and SSD Diamond could be a valid one.

Unfortunately it seems that if the hypoid pinion stays up it meshes the ring gear only on one side.

So the only possibility to have a counter rotating ar44 axle is to use the Reversed Helical Spiral Gear from extra speed for XS-SCX-2XE #XS-SCX230100, ,(XS-SCX230100) by Xtra Speed #45 Steel Reversed Helical Spiral Gear & Pinion Gear Set 30T / 8T

I'm going to search for reviews of this product.

Last edited by setecastronomy; 02-21-2019 at 09:06 AM.
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You can also get a lower geared rear axial or higher geared front axle and have overdrive. The toyzuki V2.5 runs 45% overdrive but I would shoot for around 30% myself. The Google sheets in my sig has gear ratios for some common crawler axles.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-02-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

But why?
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:18 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Why counter rotating axle? People believe it will help to reduce torque twist. Personally I would go for trx-4 axles as their extra gear reduction would cut the torque twist in half on most cars. But to each their own.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Very simple just buy these PASS axles. Must use counter rotating trans. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/D1RC...917329190.html
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

Counter rotating axle for scx10 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 problem...motor rotating slowmo on it's own rovot Newbie General 12 01-21-2014 10:12 AM
Rotating c hubs? boulder Axial Wraith 9 08-15-2011 07:33 PM
I need a counter rotating gearbox for a shafty project. Espeefan General Crawlers 5 05-09-2010 07:45 PM
Counter-rotating DSs =< twist? ekd General Crawlers 16 04-04-2010 01:31 PM