Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Arrow I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey

How's that for a thread title?

I am looking to get into rock racing on a mid-size track that used to hold buggy races. The track is being set up with some rocks and rough terrain, along with the jumps that are already present.

I'm overwhelmed with choices and have been reading through many threads. My general question is what everyone recommends. I also have some other questions.

Do I need something with a two speed transmission?

Is the Bomber not an option because it is not a rock racer?

Is the Twin Hammers just too small to be competitive?

Thanks for any input! I would be buying the kit version and adding a sensored motor and ESC.
TIME MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey

Yeti or bomber. Bomber will jump better as its not so nose heavy. Yeti can work, be prepared to put lots of parts in though.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey

I love the Twin Hammers, and would choose it. However if it is too small for your needs then I would look into the R.Rey. The Yeti is clumsy pig.

If you need a solid front axle I would be all over the Bomber
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I say get the bomber
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the input so far.

You all have me really thinking about which would better suit my needs in a racing environment, the IFS or the solid front axle.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I love my little monster so i vote yeti

any of the listed vehicles could be used for rock racing, to be competitive all has to be modified and setup for each course you race. for some you need to do more other less.
For ex. If reading the bomber section some convert it to ifs front for racing other convert yeti to solid axle.....

just get the one you like and make it competitive as you want. all will cost you money and work

the yeti is the go fast less crawl
the bomber is less go fast more crawl
the rock ray is like the yeti but has center diff, what is not allowed at some rules
the twin hammer is nice but very small compared to the others

Last edited by magic_yeti; 11-06-2017 at 09:17 AM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

In the 1:1 world, solid axles are better for articulation when crawling and IFS is better for handling at speed. This seems to bear itself out when scaled down as well. Take this with a big grain of salt because this is only based on my own personal observations.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
In the 1:1 world, solid axles are better for articulation when crawling and IFS is better for handling at speed. This seems to bear itself out when scaled down as well. Take this with a big grain of salt because this is only based on my own personal observations.
That is very good info, thank you.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
I the yeti is the go fast less crawl
the bomber is less go fast more crawl
the rock ray is like the yeti but has center diff, what is not allowed at some rules
the twin hammer is nice but very small compared to the others

Very interesting! I had not realized that the Rock Rey had a center diff. I completely missed that while comparing the specs. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #10

Rock Rey or Bomber. TH is too small. GOM is unproven. Yeti needs work out of the box.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i have a yeti that goes fast and breaks. but i also drive it like I'm 10years old again with my blackfoot lol
yeti is capable as a racer. but like other said it needs some work to get it like you want.
but i think that's what is so great about yeti. its a good starting point for anyone, modify it to your needs.

i think I'm actually going to make a RWD "retro" trophy truck out of mine (70's or 80's era truck body). if i don't sell it? depends how fast my 2 speed ascender is when its done.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post
How's that for a thread title?

I am looking to get into rock racing on a mid-size track that used to hold buggy races. The track is being set up with some rocks and rough terrain, along with the jumps that are already present.

I'm overwhelmed with choices and have been reading through many threads. My general question is what everyone recommends. I also have some other questions.

Do I need something with a two speed transmission?
It depends on how you intend to use it. The 2-speed adds versatility to the truck; a sensored motor/esc will give you the smooth startup but is not a substitute for proper gearing; it allows for my yeti to be geared for both crawling and 35 mph speed runs, but for racing you may be better off simply gearing for the track your are on for that day.
Quote:
Is the Bomber not an option because it is not a rock racer?
Sure. The Bomber carries its weight higher and on solid axles, so it flips easier, but again it depends; if you are racing against other bombers, great; against 4wd buggies, not so great.
Quote:
Is the Twin Hammers just too small to be competitive?
That's what I have been told.
Quote:
Thanks for any input! I would be buying the kit version and adding a sensored motor and ESC.
I don't see the yeti as a race or stunt truck, and I would expect to have to spend some money on it if I were to use it as such. I haven't had any breakage on my yeti, but then I don't drive it like that, staying mostly to the rocks and trails.

I'd wait for the GOM to see if it has a lot of teething problems like the baja/rock rey platform did. My son and I nearly bought a pair of baja reys when they first came out, and I still follow the facebook page, and I see a lot of driveline issues (bearings, diffs) that have not gone away. While still nose-heavy, the RRey does carry its weight lower than the yeti.

Having said buggy track, if you are not married to the looks of the solid axle I would expand your search to include the Losi SCBE that will out handle/jump the solid-rear-axle yeti/rock rey, and is built on a proven platform with lots of aftermarket support. It does have plastic shocks as part of the cost savings over the losi SCTs, but it seems to fit the bill in your case.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Rock rey. You can lock the center diff.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone. This decision has been so tough, I figured I would do it the right way.

I bought a Yeti today and will pick up the Rock Rey kit as soon as it's released. Two isn't a bad thing, right?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks everyone. This decision has been so tough, I figured I would do it the right way.

I bought a Yeti today and will pick up the Rock Rey kit as soon as it's released. Two isn't a bad thing, right?
No, not a bad thing.

I started with a Yeti (and I still really like it), then I veered off to Sawback,Ascender,CFX-W,SCX10.2 land, and then came back and just recently picked up the GOM Kit (in progress) and Bomber Kit (next in line). Keeping an eye on the Rock Rey kit as well.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Not necessarily, but I think there is enough overlap in the handling/jumping characteristics in those two vehicles that I would wait to get some track time with the first before buying the second.

Depends on how much you have to spend. The yeti is quite versatile, but you may want your next vehicle to be more capable on the rocks (bomber) or go for speed and handling (SCBE).

In my case I already have 2WD and 4WD buggies and no nearby track to run them on, so I went with the bomber.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I love the Twin Hammers, and would choose it. However if it is too small for your needs then I would look into the R.Rey. The Yeti is clumsy pig.

If you need a solid front axle I would be all over the Bomber
You're the first person I've heard say the Yeti is a "clumsy pig"
I'd prob choose the Bomber out of these choices myself, but I'm still curious why you don't like the Yeti? We live near some locally famous rock crawling areas (Lucia Falls), but I've been eyeing the Yeti or something similar for some gravel pit bashing fun.

Currently running a Wraith w Castle Brushless setup, a Bomber with 21 turn TItan (I know.....but they're cheap!), an OG Rustler, Gravedigger, and Slash w Castle setup. Out of the box, the Bomber is the most impressive rock crawler I've ever ran. Even w my mods on the Wraith, the Bomber will get me on the slow crawling. Of course I still haven't relocated the battery in the Wraith......
Newbie to the forum, apologies if etiquette is off. I'm a forum virgin, ya'll are my first time so let's make this special ad be gentle
Jer's Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer's Crawlers View Post
You're the first person I've heard say the Yeti is a "clumsy pig"
I'd prob choose the Bomber out of these choices myself, but I'm still curious why you don't like the Yeti? We live near some locally famous rock crawling areas (Lucia Falls), but I've been eyeing the Yeti or something similar for some gravel pit bashing fun.

Currently running a Wraith w Castle Brushless setup, a Bomber with 21 turn TItan (I know.....but they're cheap!), an OG Rustler, Gravedigger, and Slash w Castle setup. Out of the box, the Bomber is the most impressive rock crawler I've ever ran. Even w my mods on the Wraith, the Bomber will get me on the slow crawling. Of course I still haven't relocated the battery in the Wraith......
Newbie to the forum, apologies if etiquette is off. I'm a forum virgin, ya'll are my first time so let's make this special ad be gentle
I haven't driven a Rock Rey yet, but after just completing a Yeti kit build, I'd have a hard time describing it as a "clumsy pig" for sure. It handles WAY better than I was expecting. I expected it to handle better than my Bomber, but I didn't expect it to handle nearly as well as it did. I suppose with the stock tire foams the handling would have been substantially worse, but overall, the Yeti platform is very capable as long as you set up the suspension and the tire foams appropriately.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

You have to realy learn to drive the yeti its more than just pulling a trigger and turning a wheel but once you get the hang of it you can make it do what you want the bomber is alot easyer to drive and the fully independent suspention will out handle any of them on a smoother surface and is alot easyer to drive than the yeti but the cool factor of the yeti far outways its shortcomings the bomber is a true rock racer its a scale copy of a race winning ultra 4 buggy and its beat out a few ifs rigs in th3 1:1 rockracing world i dont realy think it matter though i feel its all about the set up and how you drive it tha5 counts your driving style migh5 lean more twards a solid axle rig or a independent suspention type rig or somewere in between i say buy them all lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #20
RCC Addict

B1B bomber ifs conversion kit !
The best of both the yeti & Bomber rig’s in one !
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote

I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Badger's Vaterra Twin Hammers 1.9 Rock Racer badger Vaterra Twin Hammers 713 08-23-2017 04:42 AM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
RR10 Bomber Vs. Yeti Rock Racer 1/10 davemass Newbie General 16 05-10-2016 09:39 AM
Vaterra Twin Hammers 1.9 Rock Racer video badger Scale Videos! 3 02-25-2013 03:57 PM