Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #21

Default Re: Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is a great idea. I personally hate the feel of the FlySky radios and I am a big fan of Spektrum radios. I would personally keep the receiver and splurge for a good radio like the DX5C. $110 for a high quality transmitter that is backed by the best company in RC is cheap IMHO.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM5100

That's just my opinion because I'm not a fan of the current FlySky radios. It's a more expensive route in the end for sure and I don't blame you for going with the cheaper FlySky radio. Lots of people love theirs.

Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the new FlySky, but that has been delayed for a long time now so it's anybody's guess when it will be available.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the new FlySky. I've had nothing but Spektrums in the past, but with a new rc comes a new transmitter, why not?
PounceTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra??

I just know that when I got my K10 Ascender, my only real disappointment was the DX2e Spektrum tx. Not even foam rubber on the wheel? Yeesh...

I had previously picked up a Futaba 3PV for my Bomber, but instead of getting another receiver for it at $37.99, I decided to try out what I'd been reading about all over this forum - the FlySky GTC-3.

Having 2 decent radios would be handy if I can ever get my brother to try out running one of my crawlers. When I got it, I was very pleasantly surprised - comes with 2 sizes of soft-touch handle grips and a USB cable to charge the included LiPo.

Considering that it feels great in my hand (after swapping to the larger grip size), comes by default with the LiPo upgrade (at a price of under $50), and has a hole for a lanyard (I really like that), and looks quite nice after peeling off the fake brushed aluminum trim - I feel like I made a real score. And that's without getting it hacked from 3ch to 8!
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #23
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
YouTube?
Should be on the Holmes Hobbies YouTube page. Let’s see if I can link it. I am pretty clumsy on this iPad

https://youtu.be/l1Iva4zEhiQ

That is a great comparative of platforms^^

Last edited by smog; 12-17-2017 at 05:53 PM.
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I can't believe no one has put it this simple. New axial honcho has plastic links, plastic transmission gears, and dogbone front axle shafts. The vaterras have metal everything and cv joint front axle shafts.

Even if the op is a noob, (don't mean that badly) he will soon find out that plastic transmission gears are no good with a heavy finger. Dogbones won't steer nearly as sharp as the cv's and last as long. A noob may not notice the plastic links for lack of knowing better but should be told that's what they are getting. I'll admit I'm a vaterra guy through and through but the facts are black and white on this one.

I don't own one but run with guys with the flysky radios. All of them like them. Ive only Had spektrum radios so I know no different. But I also came from
Radio shack rc's from 20 years ago so anything new feels good.

Just had to put my 2 cents in and stir the axial cool aid pot.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

If you really want an opinion, id say they are both china made junk
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawback View Post
90% of all "things" are china made, welcome to 10 years ago...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #27
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I can't believe no one has put it this simple. New axial honcho has plastic links, plastic transmission gears, and dogbone front axle shafts. The vaterras have metal everything and cv joint front axle shafts.

Even if the op is a noob, (don't mean that badly) he will soon find out that plastic transmission gears are no good with a heavy finger. Dogbones won't steer nearly as sharp as the cv's and last as long. A noob may not notice the plastic links for lack of knowing better but should be told that's what they are getting. I'll admit I'm a vaterra guy through and through but the facts are black and white on this one.

I don't own one but run with guys with the flysky radios. All of them like them. Ive only Had spektrum radios so I know no different. But I also came from

Ben
It really is pretty unforgivable that a company like Axial put plastic gears in their transmissions at this point. How much extra does it really cost them to put the metal in that they already manufacture en masse.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #28
RCC Addict

The Scx10 ii Cherokee kit/RTR has metal links and CVDs that can do 50-60+ degree steering, as opposed to the Ascender's 45. Furthermore the Ascender's low pinion angle lends itself to hung up driveshafts, and the low 2:1 gear ratio in the axles means more torque twist, although it's not nearly as noticeable as some other models (Redcat *cough* Everest).

Why Axial went backwards to plastic links and dogbone axle shafts in the newer Scx10 ii Honcho is beyond me. I'll never buy it, nor would I recommend it to anyone; doing so would likely encourage them to make more junk.

If it were me, I'd go with the Cherokee kit version, sell the body here or on eBay, and then use the money to help fund the body and electronics you want.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawback View Post
We know... we know... you hate Traxxas, Axial, and Vaterra, and can't wait for Kyosho and Gmade to GTG and make beautiful babies. You make that clear with most of your posts. At least you're passionate; I'll give you that!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #30
RCC Addict

My buddy got Axial, the kit. My hobby shop crawler aficionados like Vaterra - told and showed me the differences, so I got the K10 RTR. I liked it so well I went for another Ascender, only the kit this time so I can install the bits I want - radio gear, drivetrain, and choose the body I want. I almost went for a SCX10ii kit, but it costs $30 more plus metal link ends, so I decided to stick with Vaterra.

I like that you can build 4 wheelbase lengths - I chose #3 to fit a Proline Wrangler body to build a replica of a 1:1 full size. And I got a really nice 5ch Spektrum radio for $100 that I can use for any and all cars I own by simply changing out the receiver. It's a really nice radio.

I chose electronics to go with 3S power for some more speed, and I got a heavier duty steering servo for better response.

Sure, you can do all this with a SCX10, so it came down to what I was familiar with. I simply like the way the Ascender is put together - I like the floating battery tray, and the components are very nicely finished - I got to see everything first hand in the gearbox and axles now having built them up from parts.

If a guy is looking for a ready to run - buy it, drive it, park it, forget it, I recommend the TRX4 - it has a lot of cool features and is the latest kid on the block.
If you like to tinker and customize, then either Axial or Vaterra are a good choice.

The main thing is that you get something that is appealing to you personally, and go out and have some fun with it.

My other hobby is craft beer brewing, so it made sense to customize with some of that in mind...
My K10 cab matches an old truck my grandpa had, just makes it more fun building and running.

Last edited by Browneye; 12-18-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

That looks great!

In my case, I just like variety. I pick up one from each main platform (usually the kit) as long as it's not complete and utter junk.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #32
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
My buddy got Axial, the kit. My hobby shop crawler aficionados like Vaterra - told and showed me the differences, so I got the K10 RTR. I liked it so well I went for another Ascender, only the kit this time so I can install the bits I want - radio gear, drivetrain, and choose the body I want. I almost went for a SCX10ii kit, but it costs $30 more plus metal link ends, so I decided to stick with Vaterra.

I like that you can build 4 wheelbase lengths - I chose #3 to fit a Proline Wrangler body to build a replica of a 1:1 full size. And I got a really nice 5ch Spektrum radio for $100 that I can use for any and all cars I own by simply changing out the receiver. It's a really nice radio.

I chose electronics to go with 3S power for some more speed, and I got a heavier duty steering servo for better response.

Sure, you can do all this with a SCX10, so it came down to what I was familiar with. I simply like the way the Ascender is put together - I like the floating battery tray, and the components are very nicely finished - I got to see everything first hand in the gearbox and axles now having built them up from parts.

If a guy is looking for a ready to run - buy it, drive it, park it, forget it, I recommend the TRX4 - it has a lot of cool features and is the latest kid on the block.
If you like to tinker and customize, then either Axial or Vaterra are a good choice.

The main thing is that you get something that is appealing to you personally, and go out and have some fun with it.

My other hobby is craft beer brewing, so it made sense to customize with some of that in mind...
My K10 cab matches an old truck my grandpa had, just makes it more fun building and running.

Your k10 looks great. Did you build the barrel?
Old 12-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Your k10 looks great. Did you build the barrel?
Ya, it's 1/16" balsa sheet cut to staves and glued on to then ends over a shaved down foam cylinder. Lots of CA and some stuck fingers, but I used to build RC aircraft so there's that. LOL
HobbyLobby had leather straps that look like rings and tie-downs. Everybody has the Gerry-cans. Had some old whipping line from my sailing days. Cut the top off the K10 cage and built the flatbed out of 1/8x 3/8 basswood and a sheet of 1/8th balsa, scored to look like planks, weather-look poly stain finish.

The flatbed is screwed down where the aluminum plates were with longer screws. It's pretty strong, have already rolled it a few times and broke all the stuff off, glued it back on. If it's gonna be hardcore I use the original body.

It was a lot of fun - wifey thought I was partially or fully nuts.

I got another cage and built up the stock body for hardcore wheeling instead of bashing my scale one here. You know, the yellow one that it came with. Cut up the old cage to make the flatbed and side bars.

I think I'm going to put the pitbull tires on my new jeep build.
They definitely crawl and grip better than the RTR TSL's.

Last edited by Browneye; 12-19-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
90% of all "things" are china made, welcome to 10 years ago...

Nice I prefer the other 10 %, would you fly in a all china made jet in a lightning storm

But truly I cant hardly wait to take my axial scx to the axial fest and axleiel my axlel buddies till my axle brakes like all the other axiles
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #35
RCC Addict

OK you don't like axial we get it.
If it can make you feel better, im going for an Arrma next and my friends own mostly traxxas and HPI.

I dont even know why Im wasting time answering...

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #36
RCC Addict

If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Leave church-state-money out of it.
I don't give a hoot where the parts come from - put it together and go play.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I don't think you can go wrong with the 10.2 (kit or Wrangler), Ascender, or the TRX-4.

Out of those 3, I think the 10.2 is a better performer. When compared to the Ascender, the front end geometry is better so less bump steer, the gear reduction in the axles means less torque twist, and the aftermarket is unlimited. The kit really is a good truck despite the transmission being backwards. The rod ends get a bit sloppy and Axial's shocks are notoriously leaky. If you're not fond of the XJ body or shovel bumpers, you can sell them to recoup some of the kit costs. The Wrangler looks good, but the links are ugly (big whoop) and again you will have the crappy shocks and rod ends but you get lights, a decent looking body, and steel trans gears. I think kits are on sale now at Tower?

The Ascender is good. The torque twist is pretty bad but it can be fixed with a sway bar and some tweaking. The truck is durable and comes with better quality parts than the 10.2 and the aftermarket has ramped up for it. There are a couple other minor things that I don't like about it like the driveshafts. The Bind and Drive is a great deal, especially if you already have a transmitter laying around.

The TRX-4 really is fun. Its tough and the parts are quality. The Defender body is pretty heavy and hinders performance, but the portals, two speed, and lockable diffs are great. Its a fun trail rig right out of the box but if you swap to a lightweight body, add a little weight down low, and get some bumpers with better clearance, it will do very well at serious crawling. It definitely has the nicest fit and finish of the 3. I have beat on one of mine pretty hard with a brushless setup and the only part failure I have had is a motor pinion.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post

Ben
Thanks for the reply. After all the I put I'm going to go with the F100. Im not a typical noob, just new to crawlers. I understand the issue with plastic gears. I had a HPI nitro ~20 years ago that had plastic. I had more in spare parts than the local hobby shop. Luckily my father was able to fab some metal A-arms and knuckles.

After the replies the ascender is looking better. Then after the scx10ii hype is down and see what other people do I may end up getting one for a project truck - they're fun to build and add nonsense scale accessories to.

I've also looked at the red cat ones, but for what I want to do out of the box the ascender price tag is much more appealing to me. Thanks everyone for their .02 cents. With all the .02 cents I can easily fund replacement plastic links for a future honcho ii build. Can't wait to learn more about this new area of the hobby and as I broaden my knowledge can give some input of my own. Thanks again everyone. Merry Christmas and happy crawling.

I need to look into the transmitter area a bit more. There was a lot of different options. A good bit to digest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #39
RCC Addict

I found a DX5c Spektrum for $105 at a local shop and snapped it up. Last radio I'll ever have to buy. ;)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #40

Quote:
I found a DX5c Spektrum for $105 at a local shop and snapped it up. Last radio I'll ever have to buy. ;)
Nice. I think that's the one I saw on their website last night for about the same price point. They had a little bit of a discount. I'll check the wondrous internet for some deals. 'Local' hobby shop is a 40 minute drive without traffic :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another opinion needed.... T4rscott Axial SCX-10 6 06-23-2017 04:13 PM
Vaterra ascender $400 good purchase or no GrapeNutz Vaterra Ascender 20 06-30-2016 09:42 AM
Your opinion needed! Duuuuuuuude 1.5 Scale Rigs 24 02-25-2015 11:52 AM
Opinion needed kincer Chit Chat 7 05-14-2013 05:45 AM