Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Default Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra??

Hey everyone. I can navigate through the forums pretty good, but I am not sure where to put this, so please, if it is in the wrong section, don't hesitate to move it where it needs to go.

With Christmas quickly approaching, I am looking to purchase a new RC for our family collection. I have some experience with RC's, but I need a bit of your input on the next purchase. I saw where Axial came out with a new SCX10ii Honcho - I love that style and missed out on the original. I've read a few things on here that have me second guessing buying one and now leaning a bit towards a Vaterra - these two in particular: Vaterra Ascender 1972 K10 pickup or Vaterra 1968 Ford F-100 Ascender. They are all very similar in style and price range. I am wanting something that has an abundance of aftermarket parts, whether it be from the manufacturer or a third party - I intend to fully beat the dog out of this thing, but at the same time spend time making it look as similar to a 1:1 as budgeting will allow.

I know the Axial comes out the 28th, so there really isn't much to say about it other than what we can assume the new version to be.

But I would like some input on what you guys think. Axial or Vaterra, and if Vaterra which version would buy - they seem to be the same, except the K10 is about $30 more.

Thanks for all of your input and help.
PounceTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra??

The Vaterra Ascender is great out of the box.

For the Axial... I'd get the more expensive CRC SCX10.2 and sell off the body. Pick up the Honcho cage and cab, or Pro-Line SR5 cab.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra??

The K10 is complete, RTR including a Nimh battery. The F100 is supplied with a Spektrum receiver but no transmitter (radio). A few other minor differences but lower price of the F100 is mostly related to the no transmitter. My wife has the K10 and I'm really leaning toward the F100 myself.

I started out with Axial for all my RCs but I'm finding Vaterra, Redcat, and a few others have some very appealing products right now.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Hmm, never thought about the doing that with the Axial. The CRC does have somethings I like more about it than the honcho. That's rare for them to come with a battery, but very nice that it does. Does theK10 and the F100 have pretty similar features? The F100 body does look better to me. I've had some issues with buying a transmitter that didn't come with the receiver before, but that was years ago. Is it a bit easier now? I'm also sure scouring the internet would provide some extra help. Would it be easy for a child to bind the two now a days?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

To run as is get the Ascender. If you love to throw money at your truck with upgrades go Axial...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
To run as is get the Ascender. If you love to throw money at your truck with upgrades go Axial...
Awe come on, I run with several of the scx10ii Cherokee rtr's and they are very capable and don't seem to need any upgrades.

However the Ascender recover truck body looks much better the the honcho.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Awe come on, I run with several of the scx10ii Cherokee rtr's and they are very capable and don't seem to need any upgrades.

However the Ascender recover truck body looks much better the the honcho.
I stand behind my statement. I own more Axials than any other brand. Time and time again they require the most upgrades and repairs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I stand behind my statement. I own more Axials than any other brand. Time and time again they require the most upgrades and repairs.
BUT axial is better in the end after the upgrades which there aren't an abundance of for vaterra. Yea I know, "Vaterra doesn't need upgrades" to which I call bs. Pretty much everything this side of an 1/8 scale buggy is going to need a bit of money thrown at it at the minimum.

You must live in an absolute hell if most of your rigs are from axial and you apparently hate axial. Their is some very real Freudian stuff going on with you isn't there?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I’m in the same boat. I think a CRC is going to come home with me tonight...after groceries.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
BUT axial is better in the end after the upgrades which there aren't an abundance of for vaterra. Yea I know, "Vaterra doesn't need upgrades" to which I call bs. Pretty much everything this side of an 1/8 scale buggy is going to need a bit of money thrown at it at the minimum.

You must live in an absolute hell if most of your rigs are from axial and you apparently hate axial. Their is some very real Freudian stuff going on with you isn't there?
It's true. The Ascender doesn't need much in terms of upgrades. It's the better built truck. Nobody in their right mind can argue that.

I don't hate Axial. Anytime anybody mentions 2.2 I recommend the Bomber. That's my favorite trail rig of all time.

Axials need upgrades. That's another fact. You could say I was Axial hating if I was the only one that felt that way. I'm not alone at all. There's a reason most SCX10s are upgraded.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's true. The Ascender doesn't need much in terms of upgrades. It's the better built truck. Nobody in their right mind can argue that.

I don't hate Axial. Anytime anybody mentions 2.2 I recommend the Bomber. That's my favorite trail rig of all time.

Axials need upgrades. That's another fact. You could say I was Axial hating if I was the only one that felt that way. I'm not alone at all. There's a reason most SCX10s are upgraded.
I must not be in my right mind then because the ascender doesn't rustle my jimmy now and it didn't when it was introduced either.

Axial doesn't need upgrades, they are available, stock anything sucks and people like to have shiny crap. At most people pop a knuckle or dog bone and grab a shiny fancy looking chinesium kit and slap it on there. Believe it or don't but I have owned OG ax10's and scx10's over the years and so long as I didn't drive like normal they held up.

Bottom line is if you just want to play then buy whatever, if you know you want to add aftermarket bits the axial is absolutely the king of the aftermarket. Everyone and their cousins dog makes parts for it. Like 9 places make vaterra parts.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
I must not be in my right mind then because the ascender doesn't rustle my jimmy now and it didn't when it was introduced either.

Axial doesn't need upgrades, they are available, stock anything sucks and people like to have shiny crap. At most people pop a knuckle or dog bone and grab a shiny fancy looking chinesium kit and slap it on there. Believe it or don't but I have owned OG ax10's and scx10's over the years and so long as I didn't drive like normal they held up.

Bottom line is if you just want to play then buy whatever, if you know you want to add aftermarket bits the axial is absolutely the king of the aftermarket. Everyone and their cousins dog makes parts for it. Like 9 places make vaterra parts.
We all know you're not in your right mind!

How many Ascenders have you owned?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Never owned an ascender, worked on a couple but none that I owned.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks. Straight to the point. That was very helpful. I think I will go with the vaterra F100 model. I like that it comes with lights already. When I feel like upgrading and adding the 'chinesium' parts then i will head on over to Axial. I had a Bomber and that was a tank of a rig - if all of their kits are like that, I am sure they will be plenty strong for what I will put it through. Either way, it's going to be a lot of fun and I will prob end up with vaterra and eventually axial. Thanks everybody for the input!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

If you are getting the Ford F100 Vaterra Ascender, which is a great choice (they added LED lights that the K10 doesn't have)- here's my recommendation - blow off buying the Spektrum transmitter and sell the receiver that it comes with - and buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a seriously nice radio, I just got one for my Chevy K10 Vaterra Ascender. Comes with a in-transmitter USB charge port for the included LiPo battery and is easily hacked from the standard 3 channels to 8(!)...

It's also available here a bit cheaper, but in orange:

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...id=61595&pid=1

You'd end up spending just a bit less than the K10 Chevy and having a better radio and working LED lights, to boot... I'm actually kinda jealous of your opportunity, here!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
If you are getting the Ford F100 Vaterra Ascender, which is a great choice (they added LED lights that the K10 doesn't have)- here's my recommendation - blow off buying the Spektrum transmitter and sell the receiver that it comes with - and buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a seriously nice radio, I just got one for my Chevy K10 Vaterra Ascender. Comes with a in-transmitter USB charge port for the included LiPo battery and is easily hacked from the standard 3 channels to 8(!)...

It's also available here a bit cheaper, but in orange:

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...id=61595&pid=1

You'd end up spending just a bit less than the K10 Chevy and having a better radio and working LED lights, to boot... I'm actually kinda jealous of your opportunity, here!
This is a great idea. I personally hate the feel of the FlySky radios and I am a big fan of Spektrum radios. I would personally keep the receiver and splurge for a good radio like the DX5C. $110 for a high quality transmitter that is backed by the best company in RC is cheap IMHO.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM5100

That's just my opinion because I'm not a fan of the current FlySky radios. It's a more expensive route in the end for sure and I don't blame you for going with the cheaper FlySky radio. Lots of people love theirs.

Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the new FlySky, but that has been delayed for a long time now so it's anybody's guess when it will be available.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have Vaterra's, I have Axial's, and everything in between.

At the end of the day, none of the top manufacturers are going to disappoint you in stock form. Will there be upgrades? Most definitely. Are there options for all? Absolutely.

Get what makes you happy and enjoy it. If you're really concerned about about modifying, upgrading and taking advantage of aftermarket, then you need to decide what option has the most support.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

One thing I noticed is that a stock SCX10 II turns tighter than my K5 ascender.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #19
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
One thing I noticed is that a stock SCX10 II turns tighter than my K5 ascender.
Holmes the Man, does a great comparative video of the platforms. I think he notes roughly a 5 degree increase in turning radius.

Pretty amazing actually as I am already pretty amazed at the turning radius on my Ascender.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Holmes the Man, does a great comparative video of the platforms. I think he notes roughly a 5 degree increase in turning radius.

Pretty amazing actually as I am already pretty amazed at the turning radius on my Ascender.
YouTube?

Your opinion is needed - Input for next purchase - Axial or Vaterra?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another opinion needed.... T4rscott Axial SCX-10 6 06-23-2017 04:13 PM
Vaterra ascender $400 good purchase or no GrapeNutz Vaterra Ascender 20 06-30-2016 09:42 AM
Your opinion needed! Duuuuuuuude 1.5 Scale Rigs 24 02-25-2015 11:52 AM
Opinion needed kincer Chit Chat 7 05-14-2013 05:45 AM