Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Winches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Winches?

I known I know do a servo winch, maybe. I like the looks of a good function winch though. I know the rc4wd 9.5 winch is junk unless you upgrade the motor in it. I was check out the rc4wd warn zeon and 8274 models. From what I've gathered the 8274 has much more to offer, better pulling power, better quality. Either of theses will fit for my intended purpose in the truck. General crawling and some comps here and there.

Any thoughts or comments on either of theses two winches would be great help, thanks guys.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Winches?

U know. I have two Warn 9.5 winches. Never had a problem with them.......But. I just recently got a Integy winch. I have to say. I think they are a better quality and stronger. Plus. They have really nice braided cables that function well. I dont think I will get another RC4WD winch again. You pay way too much for the Warn name on the winch. The same winches unbranded without the "Warn" logos are half the cost easily. They even have the Warn "W" logo embossed in the metal casting. So what does that tell you. More then likely RC4WD is getting product from the exact same factories as the unbranded winches and slapping Warn stickers on it and charging 100% mark up. But RC4WD is paying Warn the for the right to use the name. I love RC4WD and Warn. But how much are you willing to pay for that logo...So there it is. Lol.But I like the Integy winches. Good bang for the buck. But thats just my opinion. Has anyone else had good luck with Integy Winches??????

Last edited by Ctrain57; 02-01-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Ctrain57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

From a performance perspective a servo winch is your best bet. They're super simple to build and will out perform any winch on the market.

The 8274 is a solid value and is very scale. It's built off servo components (gearset and motor), but it does take up some real-estate on the front of your truck.

As you pointed out the smaller gear motor winches are usually the weakest option. You can run them on 3S to speed them up, but they aren't as nice as a winch based off a servo.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

And your right. I think the scale winches look better versus the servo winches. I like my winch on a big Ol bumper out in the front of the grill. Here is what my SCX10 ii looks like with the Integy winch.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrain57 View Post
So what does that tell you. More then likely RC4WD is getting product from the exact same factories as the unbranded winches and slapping Warn stickers on it and charging 100% mark up. But RC4WD is paying Warn the for the right to use the name.
Damn near every gear-motor is built in China (except Maxons or other high quality precision gear motors), but it's silly to say that they all come from the same factory or that they're created equal. I've seen similar comments in 5 or 6 threads lately and it just shows how little people know / understand about sourcing parts from China.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Well. All I can tell you is just through experience. I do have an unbranded and looking side by side with the Warn. There is no difference in casting. Unscrewing them and comparing motors and componants inside. Identical. compared to my Warns. There is not a million of these huge factories that make them just like all RC cars. RC4WD had a booth at at Axialfest 2017 and they told me they come from China. Its not a secret. Believe me I am not telling anyone to go get an unbranded. If your a hardcore scaler. That trademark logo might mean something. So to each his own. But its a good chance they do come from the same poduction line. Not here to argue or ruffle feathers, but you would be surprised how many names like Traxxas, Axial, Redcat, and etc. share the same factories for production. Not saying these 3 share one. But I do believe Traxxas and Axial could possibly share the same Taiwan factory. Thats what 1 of my lhs's tell me anyway. I cant find that info. for sure. But a lhs would be able to find out more then me. Its not easy info. to find out on the internet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ctrain57; 02-01-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrain57 View Post
Well. All I can tell you is just through experience. I do have an unbranded and looking side by side with the Warn. There is no difference in casting. Unscrewing them and comparing motors and componants inside. Identical. compared to my Warns. There is not a million of these huge factories that make them just like all RC cars. RC4WD had a booth at at Axialfest 2017 and they told me they come from China. Its not a secret. Believe me I am not telling anyone to go get an unbranded. If your a hardcore scaler. That trademark logo might mean something. So to each his own. But its a good chance they do come from the same poduction line. Not here to argue or ruffle feathers, but yiu would be surprised how many names like Traxxas, Axial, Redcat, and etc. share the same factories for production. Not saying these 3 share one. But I do believe 2 of these Giants do. Thats what 2 of my lhs's tell me anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Second Economic Census of China (performed 10 years ago in 200 estimated that there were 1,903,380 factories in China. You can't tell me that every gear motor in our hobby all built in the same place.

Another consideration is that there IP is not protected in China, you might see one gear motor (or product) that looks the same as the other because it's design came from the same place built at two different shops with different materials, tolerances and manufacturing techniques.

Also, people perpetuate the whole everything comes from the same place thing a lot around here, but I've never once seen anything to support that beyond 'I heard from a friend who heard from a friend', ect. It might make sense for a company like hobbico to use the same manufacturers across it's brands, but there is more than one injection molding shop out there.

I wouldn't put much stock in what some guy at a hobby shop says. Anyway, not trying to be a jerk, just want to throw in some knowledge I have from sourcing stuff from over seas.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
The Second Economic Census of China (performed 10 years ago in 200 estimated that there were 1,903,380 factories in China. You can't tell me that every gear motor in our hobby all built in the same place.

Another consideration is that there IP is not protected in China, you might see one gear motor (or product) that looks the same as the other because it's design came from the same place built at two different shops with different materials, tolerances and manufacturing techniques.

Also, people perpetuate the whole everything comes from the same place thing a lot around here, but I've never once seen anything to support that beyond 'I heard from a friend who heard from a friend', ect. It might make sense for a company like hobbico to use the same manufacturers across it's brands, but there is more than one injection molding shop out there.

I wouldn't put much stock in what some guy at a hobby shop says. Anyway, not trying to be a jerk, just want to throw in some knowledge I have from sourcing stuff from over seas.
Wait, you're trying to tell me that despite what all the self-proclaimed "experts" on the internet are wrong when they say all LiPo batteries are the same because they all come from the same factory in China?!

98% of the winches use the same spec motor and gearbox inside. You can upgrade it as needed. It really comes down to your preference on looks. There is a robotics store that offers an upgraded motor/gearbox for those that use that motor/gearbox "cassette".
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

No I get u. I didnt take it as you being rude. Out of all those factories there not all rigged to make rc car product though. The info. didnt come from just some dude at a hobby shop. It was from the owner of RC Evolution in Fresno. He is an electrical and mechanical engineer who has had some of his own designs outsourced overseas. I mean. It wouldnt be hard to believe. The designs, composite formulas, r&d, etc. are still done by the RC Companies we all love. Just not the majority of the tooling and machining. Wouldnt that be the day. Developed and made in the U.S.A.

Last edited by Ctrain57; 02-01-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

If you can get your hands on a Tzi winch, it's an incredible strong little bugger. It could probably tear a finger off of your hand !
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Some good info guys thanks. I can believe that some of this stuff can get rebranded. You winch Uh? Interesting. I haven't heard of it either but found some info on them and might have to take a look. Always learning something new, thanks
Old 02-08-2018, 04:29 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I don't have a dog in this fight - wasn't planning on getting any winches for my vehicles... then, the other day - I saw a TFL-branded winch on eBay. I thought it was one of the the best-looking winches I'd ever seen. So, I Googled "TFL Winch" and there are a few different designs, and they are all really sweet-looking. Gotta say, I have no idea how well they will work, but I ordered a cheaper one of the various models because it was the only one that would arrive quickly - every other one was coming on the slow boat from somewhere in Asia. The one I got is coming from Australia, was priced in Australian dollars - and will be here surprisingly quickly... I'll be installing it on my K10 Ascender. I'm getting the single-motor of the two shown here:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I may be a crawler newb, but I'm learning quickly. For those of you debating whether to get a scale winch, or an internally-mounted servo winch, someone in another thread pointed out a great solution, which I will doing modify. His suggestion was to get the scale winch, and use it until the motor burns out. Then, get the servo winch you should have gotten in the first place, and run the line through the front of the scale winch. You end up with the scale look of a scale winch, but with the power & reliability of a servo winch.

My "modification" to his suggestion is to ignore the "wait until the scale winch's motor burns out" part...just get both from the get-go. Instead of going with one of the more powerful/expensive scale winches, get a smaller & cheaper one, as the scale winch will ONLY be for appearance. To save weight (as minimal as it might be), you could even go so far as to remove the motor & gears from the scale winch. Lastly, as pointed out by someone else, the bumpers designed to hold the bigger scale winches tend to be deep, thus they impede travel angle...so, by going with a smaller scale winch, you should also be able to go with a bumper that isn't as deep, thus improving the travel angle.

In prepping to build my TF2, it's this last point that had me debating which winch type to go with...at least until I came across the "scale winch, motor burn-out, then servo winch through scale winch" suggestion. From there, it seemed logical to ignore the expensive (and large) scale winches, go for one of the cheaper scale winches, and "cannibalize" it for immediate use. Besides, I'm not about to drop $100 on a scale winch that I'm going to disassemble the moment I receive it...but, for a $25 scale winch, I'm ok with the "disassemble" (sorry, Johnny-5).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I may be a crawler newb, but I'm learning quickly. For those of you debating whether to get a scale winch, or an internally-mounted servo winch, someone in another thread pointed out a great solution, which I will doing modify. His suggestion was to get the scale winch, and use it until the motor burns out. Then, get the servo winch you should have gotten in the first place, and run the line through the front of the scale winch. You end up with the scale look of a scale winch, but with the power & reliability of a servo winch.

My "modification" to his suggestion is to ignore the "wait until the scale winch's motor burns out" part...just get both from the get-go. Instead of going with one of the more powerful/expensive scale winches, get a smaller & cheaper one, as the scale winch will ONLY be for appearance. To save weight (as minimal as it might be), you could even go so far as to remove the motor & gears from the scale winch. Lastly, as pointed out by someone else, the bumpers designed to hold the bigger scale winches tend to be deep, thus they impede travel angle...so, by going with a smaller scale winch, you should also be able to go with a bumper that isn't as deep, thus improving the travel angle.

In prepping to build my TF2, it's this last point that had me debating which winch type to go with...at least until I came across the "scale winch, motor burn-out, then servo winch through scale winch" suggestion. From there, it seemed logical to ignore the expensive (and large) scale winches, go for one of the cheaper scale winches, and "cannibalize" it for immediate use. Besides, I'm not about to drop $100 on a scale winch that I'm going to disassemble the moment I receive it...but, for a $25 scale winch, I'm ok with the "disassemble" (sorry, Johnny-5).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Some good ideas for sure. Thought about using a scale winch as a dummy back than. I ended up getting this rc4wd warn 8274 model on my trailfinder and my boys trx4. It's been great so far. My boy uses his winch all the time. Seems to take the abuse pretty good. So far very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have the RC4WD 8274, do not use it much but it is 3 years old and still works great.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Winches? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winches Hondarider94 Electronics 12 01-10-2018 01:44 PM
Winches rcman219 Electronics 9 03-28-2014 04:26 PM
winches MaxxRunner 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 11-18-2011 04:48 PM
winches rckjeep General Crawlers 26 08-07-2006 07:57 PM