Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Losi Night Crawler SE (Pseudo-Scaler)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Night Crawler SE (Pseudo-Scaler)

I still think they should have ditched the tvp setup..
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

First impression on seeing this thing was ewww, gross, so weird, looks too toy-like, not scale. But the more that I look at it, the more that I like it somehow. It's not trying at all to be like a scale vehicle we all know and love (jeep, toyota, land rover, ford, chevy, etc) or a clone of another crawler - it's doing its own thing and I give credit to Losi for taking the risk of putting something unique looking out there. But, $300 is unfortunately too high for me. I'd be really interested in a kit at $200-250.
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #23

Looks to me like I will invest in some other vechicle for now. I really have no idea what a good. well setup rock crawler isn like. I hope to go to some events and find out more.
GWTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #24
RCC Addict

What this car does do for me is get the idea of running losi/worm gear axles back in my head. I considered buying a LNC some time back, but quickly decided to pass since Horizon appeared to be phasing them out. Maybe this ugly little thing (which my 4 and 7 year old think looks awesome, maybe that's their market?) will get the worm axles a little more attention? Yep, MOA type chassis but with front mounted motor/trans and a flex shaft to the rear, scale be damned!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

As someone who has been running an LNC based comp crawler for nearly a decade I have to say worm gears are probably the worse setup for a scaler. Will they work ? Yes but there’s so many drawbacks to putting them on a semi fast rig that runs long times and distances that I wouldn’t want one.

I typed this almost auto correctly free
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #26
RCC Addict

What I seen was an updated FTX mauler, some kind of team model edition ,lol .
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoolHandLukex View Post
As someone who has been running an LNC based comp crawler for nearly a decade I have to say worm gears are probably the worse setup for a scaler. Will they work ? Yes but there’s so many drawbacks to putting them on a semi fast rig that runs long times and distances that I wouldn’t want one.

What are the draw backs to worm gears?
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre View Post
What are the draw backs to worm gears?
You can't coast with worm gears, and it makes for a lot of gear reduction. basically the worm gear can rotate the ring gear, but not the other way around.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

yall are lost on losi axle based crawlers. if im not mistaken.. a losi based scaler took 1st in a g6 event not to long ago in the Midwest.

its easy to make a losi axle based scaler decent. lnc trans modifications is where you start. then go to electronics and doing the grease mod for the axles. its not rocket science. but to some its seems to be.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

My 65 degree axles narrowed to scale width might change some peoples mind on that idea.

Compared to stock axle width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
yall are lost on losi axle based crawlers. if im not mistaken.. a losi based scaler took 1st in a g6 event not to long ago in the Midwest.

its easy to make a losi axle based scaler decent. lnc trans modifications is where you start. then go to electronics and doing the grease mod for the axles. its not rocket science. but to some its seems to be.
Improve steering will do that for a rig and good driver!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 02-12-2018 at 11:58 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #31
RCC Addict

i have two losi scalers. both great performers. since i dont compete anymore i cant say how they do competitively, but they pull lines my other rigs cant.

i wish they could make worm gears with a 7-10:1 ratio. those would be awesome! i love the losi axles. so much diff clearance, great stock steering, etc. only down fall ive experienced was the axles cases can twist,but ive never broke one (knock on wood)
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:

I wouldn't want to run them on a long trail run, but as a dedicated class 2 they can do pretty well. The first place guy in our local series is running them in his comp truck and 2 years running now he has had a pretty large lead on everyone else.

I briefly had a LNC and as capable as it was with a few mods, that noise drove me crazy
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #33

I think maybe the body shown is turning everyone off, first impression is that cheap looking body and that finishes it. What I don't really understand is metal driveshaft to the front axle and plastic to the rear axle. Do they really save that much money per unit to do that?
jcburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #34
Sr. Product Developer

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't work on this project but being that the original Comp Crawler and Night Crawler were my babies, I figured i'd hop in on this one.

This platform has been a solid seller for us and the dealers love it. It really wasn't aimed at the "hard core" guys like ourselves. It was really aimed at the entry level/something for my kids to run consumer.

Adding the cage work really appeals to the younger groups and it has massive articulation with lots of lights too. Though the crew here isn't fond of the styling, it is bringing in new users.

As for bringing back the old hops up, at this point there is no plan too..again this consumer base seems to just want to run it as is but if the demand gets high enough, we could bring them back again.

Good or bad, we appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Night Crawler SE (Pseudo-Scaler) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here! Mad Dawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 355 05-14-2023 06:43 PM
Want to make my losi night crawler a scaler! shaunleger1 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 12-15-2009 03:15 PM