Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: sand crawler!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
tdc
Rock Stacker

Default Re: sand crawler!

i have a few different ideas for how the forklift could work, i could even have it go in a full 90 deg arc potentially, especially if i have the arms pivot from the center of the vehicle. i really should draw you guys some pictures to help illustrate what i'm thinking.

even if i could only get a few inches of lift, that may be enough if i also drive into the flipped vehicle. and if we're on the side of a dune at the time, i can always drive up past it and approach it from the top and roll the thing down the dune haha.

something along these lines might work

the blue bits would be the lift with an A frame on either side of the cab, sorted on some kind of pivot block in the middle of the chassis behind the cab. behind that (red) could sit one or two servo winches with a pulley (or two) at the back of the frame, with a (pink) cable pulling the A frame down to the chassis.

obviously this would need more thinking through and probably some prototyping, but it might work pretty good!
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Hmm, maybe angle the tines of the forklift down? Just thinking about the designs of all the battle bots that are designed to flip opponents.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Interesting! So, before, my forklift ideas were pretty "primitive" or basic, I like the idea of a "commercial dumpster dump truck" style forklift, and your design looks like it would have loads of travel from the ground to above the cab.
Your ideas of pivoting them could also be an interesting build plan, it'll be cool to see what you come up with there!

Sounds like you have a good grasp on this. Ill shut up(lol) and grab my popcorn to follow along and see where you take your build!!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
tdc
Rock Stacker

apparently ar60s are hard to come by on the cheap. i have most of a set of stock ar44s thanks to upgrading my 10.2, maybe i'll use this as an excuse to upgrade them further and have a complete set of stock ar44s to run on this truck for now. i could always swap them out for ar60s if i ever get my hands on some.

does anyone have any experience doing front/rear steer off one steering servo? to keep things cheap, i'm thinking about doing a cms, but mounting the servo somewhere in the middle of the chassis and just running links to either axles, like this -

seems like a quality, hi torque servo could probably handle that, right?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #25
tdc
Rock Stacker

i got the aluminum c channel for the frame today! i guess i'm going to roll with my stock ar44 axle housings from my 10.2 for now, i wanna get going on this thing. since i last posted i have picked myself up a 3d printer and have been popping out parts for all the crawlers around the house, i'm looking forward to getting into this thing now that i have the frame rails!

oh, and i found this article on instructables for printing out some mattracks, so i think i'm going to go that route
3D Printed MatTracks for RC Car in 1/10 Scale: 17 Steps (with Pictures)

does anyone know of any blueprinted transfer cases for 1/10 scale crawlers? i'm thinking if i can get some good dimensions between the gears in, say, an scx10 transmission i could possibly print out my own transfer case housing, that way i can make it flat and low in the frame and mount the motor up under the cab.

sand crawler! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD 1.9 Sand Paddles and Front sand tires in stock RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 05-20-2013 01:11 PM
sand buggy/rock crawler PineapplAssasin Newbie General 8 06-30-2009 11:09 AM
Starwar Jawas Sand Crawler inspired AX10 dabiddo Axial AX-10 Scorpion 50 05-13-2009 07:26 AM
next gen 1:1 rock crawler/mudder/sand drag.. Face The Karma Chit Chat 7 11-01-2006 10:27 PM