Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Opinions on "warped" Traxxas Bronco body.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Opinions on "warped" Traxxas Bronco body.

So... It's bugging me. It didn't bother me too much at first but that was when it had the OEM rails. Now that I've changed the rails out to HR aluminum sliders with diamond-plate that reflects and "magnifies" the flaw... How bad do you think this is? Would you:

> live with it?

> try to fix it ( although I can't think of how)?

> or take it up with Traxxas?

Anyone dealt with Traxxas over this kind of issue before? Wondering if they'd likely tell me to pound sand, or have me send everything back in the original box, or ask me to send just the body back for a replacement? Are they the kind of company that will probably say that I caused this to happen by peeling off the red-panel decal? Fwiw... It was exactly like this since I un-boxed it. Anyway... I've never dealt with Traxxas before so I'm just wondering what to expect.

Like I said, I know it's on me for not sending everything back immediately after initial inspection assuming I wasn't happy, but it just didn't bother me much at that time.

Advice/ opinions? Thanks very much for any assistance.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Opinions on "warped" Traxxas Bronco body.

I don't have anything useful about Traxxas. But if the tell you to pound sand, you could attempt to straighten it with a heat gun/hair dryer. It'll never be perfect but it might be better... or it'll go to sh*t like when I try to do stuff like that.....
EZCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

lol... I like how honest you are, EZ-C. I too, wondered if some heat might help. Also considered using some E6000 to adhere a stiff/ straight piece of aluminum or plastic down along that edge ( inside of course). Dunno.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I notice the same problem when I removed my sidebars but it's not as bad as yours. I replaced mine sidebars with RC4WD Rook Rock Sliders from AMain and they have the channel like the stock sidebars so the body fits into the channel and stays straight as seen in both pics.
Attached Images

Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks, Adama. My buddy has the Rook sliders on his TRX4 ( D110) and I really like that they have taken a beating on his rig although I instead bought the Hot Racing alum rock-rails. They also have a body-channel and are adjustable height so I'll raise them up and see if that helps. As they sit right now, the bottom edge of the body isn't in the channels on either side of the vehicle. Btw... I considered all of this already but I guess that I'm just aggravated that I have a scale-body with this kind of issue.

Fwiw- drivers-side is fine.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

If I remember right, I added 3mm spacers to raise the bars so the body sat down in the channel most of the way. I do like the idea of adding a thin strip of aluminum along the bottom to help stiffen the body.
Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #7

The stock sliders will hold the body in place and get rid of any warping. I'm as picky as they come, but I don't see an issue here except with your sliders.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Thank you, Jato. I sincerely value your input on these kinds of things.

After messing with this for quite a while and after looking around online, it seems that your suggestion is unfortunately about the only option. The after-market HR sliders ( even though they are channeled) are going to probably have to come off and oem sliders will go back on. It's taking way too much effort to get the body on and lined-up properly with the HR sliders, bumpers, and body-posts. It's like an irritating puzzle. I like the sliders so I'll probably install them onto my D110 chassis. but it's really a shame since they look perfect with the black & chrome-trimmed Bronco body. Looking online, I don't even see any pre-painted Bronco bodies available... not even through Traxxas. And at $160 I just can't justify buying another one anyway. Probably not going to contact Traxxas at this point... sigh.

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #9

I find my bronco body pops out of the stock sliders occasionally. Especially on one side. I’ve already beaten on my body quite a bit. So much for the pristine look but I can’t picture buying another show body at the price. I wonder if lexan has some memory and f it does, you can “train” it to bend the way you like.
Jonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbass View Post
I find my bronco body pops out of the stock sliders occasionally. Especially on one side. I’ve already beaten on my body quite a bit. So much for the pristine look but I can’t picture buying another show body at the price. I wonder if lexan has some memory and f it does, you can “train” it to bend the way you like.
Yea, man... Lotta money for these things finished. What I think I'm going to try to do is heat that area up ( hair dryer maybe) and then while still warm, lay a piece of aluminum or plastic "rail" along the inside and either use some 3M double side tape or some E6000 adhesive to permanently hold it in place. Will probably do a test run using painter's tape first.

Man... my first run with this one was a little unnerving... not knowing where or when she would go over on her side lol. I was for some reason much more comfortable when running the Defender for the first time. Idk... the shiny pristine black paint looks so sweet lol!

If anyone can let me know... Is E6000 safe to use on the inside of this Traxxas body?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

E6000 works fine with Lexan!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote