Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I know about the "silly putty LSD" but has anyone tried dental wax??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #1

Question I know about the "silly putty LSD" but has anyone tried dental wax??

Just getting back into RC after almost 10 years off!! Relearning everything I used to know and learning new things every time I read a post or watch a video!

I got back into things with a YETI Score but quickly turned it into a regular YETI.

Then I bought another YETI!!

I put 1mil wt fluid in the Score's front diff but it barely helps act as a LSD....I have read about the silly putty method and that got me thinking....way back when I had braces, I used to buy dental wax all the time! It is usually a very soft, low melting point parrafin wax. Has anyone tried it in their diff? I am 70% sure it will work amazing BUT that 30% of doubt got me worried about it becoming a gluey near solid mess after some runs....

Maybe you could atleast point me towards a 3-7mil wt diff fluid?
BNTaxleBRUZDknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: I know about the "silly putty LSD" but has anyone tried dental wax??

I think the wax could cause some serious binding below a certain temp.
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: I know about the "silly putty LSD" but has anyone tried dental wax??

Title throw me off I was thinking about a different LSD. Ok back on topic.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #4

@hillbillyRC everyone knows drips on PEZ is the best way to go on that route! LOL
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I knew my Hunter S. Thompson Pez dispenser had a deeper purpose... I gotta go tune my sitar.
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

bad horsies diff lock. found here ----> Bad Horsie Diff Locking Grease - For all RC open-differential designs
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Not sure what 1mil wt you tried but I use this stuff in 1mil CST, https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-s...53219?v=410171
This is like silicone window sealant & stays that way, you don't pour it, you scoop it!
A spider gear diff packed with this when you grab a wheel & turn it & it'll drive all 4 wheels back through the trans rather than drive the offside through the diff.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

I got Team Ass....1mil wt fluid...
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #9

just ordered some of the no Bueno horsies stuff! Thanks a mil CM9000
Old 06-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

What about silicone ear plugs? Read that works good. I plan on doing it in my 2wd basher at some point. Currently it has marine grease, which kinda helped, but not as well as I wanted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #11

no idea how the tooth wax or the silicone ear wax works, but I put silly putty into the front diff of my Clone Hammers and it works great. It's a 100% functional locker, but if I get into a major bind, it'll give instead of snapping parts. I think. In the one major bind I got the vehicle into, I stripped the spur before the front slipped.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

That one guy on here thats in to the yeti xls sead.th3 wax works great when its cold but after a few min it acts like a open diff cause the diffs.get hot under normal use hot.enuff to melt wax and soften the plastic axle housings i did the silly putty trick and it dident work at all in my yeti xl but then again the aluminum locker wasent holding up ether
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I use Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Putty Earplugs in the front diff of my Twin Hammers and it works great.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

I know about the "silly putty LSD" but has anyone tried dental wax?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
silly putty open rear diff maxPOWAAA Axial Yeti 11 02-18-2018 11:26 AM
The 'ol silly putty in the diff trick CoolRunning Axial Yeti 15 06-27-2017 12:44 PM
"lsd" Dropbear12 Axial Yeti 2 01-16-2017 12:41 AM
50 pounds of Silly Putty TMXONR Chit Chat 15 08-29-2006 10:00 PM