Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 or SCX10ii 69 Blazer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Question TRX4 or SCX10ii 69 Blazer?

Hey guys. I need some input and advice on what one to buy tomorrow. I'm looking for a good base to build a Scale crawler. Torn between the two as a good base to start.
Thanks in advance.
Pete
pkfab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX4 or SCX10ii 69 Blazer?

Can’t go wrong with either one. The TRX4 has more stuff with the 2 speed and locking diffs if that’s your cup of tea. I’ve made good scalers with both.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

If you want to trail run mostly the trx-4 might be more fun, but when I trail ride my scx10.2 I rarely find that I need it to go faster. Maybe if you run trails I could see that being an issue. I think its pretty unanimous that the 10.2 is the better crawler and for now still has better parts support.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

I was thinking the same. Now here's another newb question. I'm pretty sure its just a body difference but is there a better SCX10 ii chassis platform to start with? I've noticed different body's and price differences. What's your take on that? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions.

Last edited by pkfab1; 08-12-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
KMS
Rock Crawler

I really like my 69 Blazer ,,But the long rear and lower front bumper make it more challenging that the scx10 II CRC 2017 JK or Deadbolt ..

Last edited by KMS; 08-12-2018 at 10:41 PM.
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

different models have different transmissions and wheel bases.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfab1 View Post
Hey guys. I need some input and advice on what one to buy tomorrow. I'm looking for a good base to build a Scale crawler. Torn between the two as a good base to start.
Thanks in advance.
Pete
This will sound crazy, but just plan on getting both, no joke. I only say that because you can't just have one, I for instance have all 3 (scx, ascender, TRX) ok so I have 3 of each, but I digress. You will be happy with either one, and both will need some tweaking and personal tuning to be badass crawlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
I think its pretty unanimous that the 10.2 is the better crawler and for now still has better parts support.
I did not get that memo. Both platforms have amazing potential. I am not hating on one brand over the other, but i can honestly say that my TRX has cost me less over my period of ownership than any axial product I have owned (AX-10's - SCX-10's ((plural)) - and yeti XL). For example, I unboxed my trx- removed and sold all electrics without ever putting power to them, and the money from that sale allowed me to add in worthy electrics to both TRX's (one radio - hacked flysky) and still buy lunch on Monday. As with any rtr, I went through a dissemble Johnny 5 process to lube and check the factory assembly. It's been over a year with no maintenance and no problems. The two major mods I did was chop up the battery mount to cradle the battery flush with the frame rails, and chop the back off making a pickup, oh, and steel wheels from RC4wd with MFR portal covers (because he is the original, and they honestly are the correct weight). My TRX goes beyond scale in the lines it can do and never stops amazing me when I'm out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfab1 View Post
I was thinking the same. Now here's another newb question. I'm pretty sure its just a body difference but is there a better SCX10 ii chassis platform to start with? I've noticed different body's and price differences. What's your take on that? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions.
They are all the same chassis with different bodies. The kit comes with the more complex 2 speed optional transmission, whereas the rtr comes with a re cosmetically designed old style trans, as in the same style since 2006. good question.

Last edited by rockhugger; 08-13-2018 at 01:52 AM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The axles vary between models as well. For instance the Honcho comes with one-piece housings, sintered ring/pinion gears with a one piece locker/ring gear, and dogbone axles. The kit for example comes with universal front axles, machined gears. The other trucks vary from what I understand, so just pay attention to what you're getting. Tires, transmissions and links are different between them as well. And the Blazer/Deadbolt have a shorter wheelbase.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #9

Pulled the trigger on a SCX10ii Blazer. And a 30c 5000mAh 2s reaction battery. D0nt know how to post pics yet but I did want to thank you guys for helping. I've been into this hobby since the early 80s then got really into 1/8 nitro. Its been a good 10 years or so since, so this Lipo stuff is very new to me. I'm also an avid model builder so I'm totally into this Scale and crawler thing. So here I am feeling like a total newb so your advice is great!!! Thank you again. Ill keep you guys posted on the build and some driving videos.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #10

Congrats on the Blazer. I just bought my first crawler, the Blazer, Friday. I love it. I don’t have any prior knowledge to it other than my break every run short course truck. I got the blazer too one because I am a big Chevy fan and it’s different from all the Jeeps out there. I also figured it’s the most expensive so it should have all the best parts and RTR will come with but the axle housing are the solid one piece like the Honcho and Deadbolt but I believe with the better ring and pinion. The 2017 JK had more option like the multi piece axle housing and LEDs front and back but no interior or driver. I really don’t care because you can get tail lights from the Chevy truck body they have and if you can figure out how to mount the chrome bumpers you can clear up some over hang issues. But they would be more cosmetic than anything. Have fun man.
SloJoeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 or SCX10ii 69 Blazer? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
Trx4 blazer build trex4Owner Traxxas TRX-4 10 11-20-2018 09:42 AM
Trx4 fender flares for blazer body rag6 Vaterra Ascender 40 06-25-2017 10:02 AM