Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: what to get? what to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default what to get? what to get?

Well, it's that time of the year when the wife starts asking me for ideas about what I'd like for Christmas. I know I want another rig, and looking forward to building one up, but which one?

Traxxas TRX-4 Sport
I've heard a lot of good things about the TRX-4 at this point. And the little Sport version with locked diffs and single speed trans is right up my alley. The body kinda blows, but that's really no biggie.

G-Made GS02 BOM
I've been lurking in the threads here on this little truck, and it's really starting to intrigue me. It's got a different enough look right outta the box, and I like the idea of the cantilever rear suspension. (jury seems to be out a bit on getting that dialed in tho). A little concerned about after market support on this one.

Axial SCX10ii Honcho
I like this rig overall. Seems to perform fairly well. Possibly a bit bland though?

I'm not one to leave a rig stock, and any one of these I decide to go with will certainly undergo the inevitable upgrades. The TRX appeals to me for the portals, the G-Made appeals to me just for the fact that it's a bit different with the rear suspension set up, and I like the rock jocks. The Axial, well, it's an Axial and there's a lot of familiarity for me there.

They all fall in to about the same price range, so I'm left scratching my head. Any opinions out there?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: what to get? what to get?

TRX is a great platform, many aftermarket parts available.
I don't have much experience with the others.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quick easy question to narrow it down:

Do you want to build a kit?

Yes = BOM

The BOM is the only kit of the 3 so it is the only choice. No experience with it other than I have been told I need to get one.

No = TRX4

The Honcho is a fine truck for a RTR but if you already have (or previously had) a SCX10II, there isn't much that the Honcho will offer. The TRX4 is a better truck out of the box (in every significant respect, I do think the Honcho looks better though) which makes it the choice for a RTR.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

I'd get the BOM or TRX-4, personally. Remember, the BOM is a lot like an SCX10 II, but probably made with better materials. The TRX-4 is an awesome truck though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The TRX4 and Honcho are great RCs, you really can't go wrong with either one. G-Made has some interesting RCs, but none are known for performance or reliability.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Quick easy question to narrow it down:

Do you want to build a kit?

Yes = BOM

The BOM is the only kit of the 3 so it is the only choice. No experience with it other than I have been told I need to get one.

No = TRX4

The Honcho is a fine truck for a RTR but if you already have (or previously had) a SCX10II, there isn't much that the Honcho will offer. The TRX4 is a better truck out of the box (in every significant respect, I do think the Honcho looks better though) which makes it the choice for a RTR.

Honestly, anyone of them will basically become a "kit" for me because I'll go right at the mods and upgrades. I'd prefer a kit, but as you said, the GS02 is the only true kit option offered.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'd get the BOM or TRX-4, personally. Remember, the BOM is a lot like an SCX10 II, but probably made with better materials. The TRX-4 is an awesome truck though.

Definitely leaning towards the TRX-4 Sport Jato. If for no other reason, Portals.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Definitely leaning towards the TRX-4 Sport Jato. If for no other reason, Portals.
I think it's a great choice. The TRX-4 aftermarket has already exploded and I wouldn't be surprised if it passes that of Axial's in the future.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, Traxxas has that effect on the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think it's a great choice. The TRX-4 aftermarket has already exploded and I wouldn't be surprised if it passes that of Axial's in the future.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I think the BOM is the coolest rig out there right now. I would love to build a comp rig outta one. Down side gmade not known for reliability and not a lot of parts available yet.

Can't go wrong buying a TRX-4. Hell of a truck out of the box, very reliable and with very few upgrades can be an amazing rig. If I was shopping for a new rig I'd probably end up with another TRX-4.

Honcho doesn't impress me at all nothing against Axial, but man the plastics are extremely cheap and weak. Would spend a lot of $ just to get it to a reliable not breaking point.

TRX-4 has my vote all day! Good luck brotha! Can't wait to see what you end up with and what you end up doing to it
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I think the BOM is the coolest rig out there right now. I would love to build a comp rig outta one.

Why?
To point it out you literally have to toss almost everything and get something custom made to replace it.

To the OP, are you a noob? If not don't buy any, build yourself something from parts, take the best and create something unique. If you know what you are doing then you should be able to find the right balance of parts to have a great performing rig.

Traxxas axles, or xtra speed portals
your favorite wheel and tires
scx10ii chassis
forward mount transmission or scx10 transmission forward mounted
some transfer case, skids are easy to get for a variety of cases, on on thingiverse will mount up 4 different style cases.
cantiliver shock kit.

your imagination is the limit.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 10-03-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I havent had any issues with the plastics on my Axials---I do have a gripe with screws mounting into plastic as opposed to a bolt/nut type.

Im sure the TRX4 is great truck but with Traxxas' Frivolous lawsuits I just cant bring myself to support that type of behavior--Thats a whole topic in itself-Legitimate or not i think it hurt the hobby but I do appreciate they offer a kit version

The original honcho has been a very tough truck for me. I would recommend the new RTR.

Of the Kits I think the best value is the Bomber kit. Has all the basic upgrades in the box, the wraith unfortunately does not have the upper aluminum links, the steering, metal trans gears, or hd ring and pinions

Id vote for the Bomber kit or SCX10.2 kit if you dont mind putting them together.

After that the Honcho if it is strictly of the 3 you listed
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I just think they look cool that's all. Never seen one in person.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Why?
To point it out you literally have to toss almost everything and get something custom made to replace it.

To the OP, are you a noob? If not don't buy any, build yourself something from parts, take the best and create something unique. If you know what you are doing then you should be able to find the right balance of parts to have a great performing rig.

Traxxas axles, or xtra speed portals
your favorite wheel and tires
scx10ii chassis
forward mount transmission or scx10 transmission forward mounted
some transfer case, skids are easy to get for a variety of cases, on on thingiverse will mount up 4 different style cases.
cantiliver shock kit.

your imagination is the limit.
aside from the borderline condescending tone of parts of this statement, hes right. Of them, parts would be ripped off and replaced with others regardless. I think the honcho has to be eliminated because of all the junk plastic parts, shocks, links, etc. You'd really only be using the axles, trans, and chassis if we're being honest, maybe the body and cage, but so many out there, takes a lot to personalize that. At least with the trx sport and BOM you have metal links and decent shocks to go along with the axles, trans, and chassis. I think the trx4 sport you have to rip the body and electronics out, the BOM body and cage isn't too keen for me, but some may like it, doesn't come with any electronics. It would be a toss up between the sport and the BOM for me if I had to choose, but as he suggested, I think I'd pony up for a nice pimpinrocks custom chassis or something along those lines before any of the options, maybe a toyzuki setup. Then you can pick your poison from the ground up.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
RCC Addict

You could always pick up something like this off ebay. Lock the diffs, then add electronics, wheels and body of your choice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS...AAAOSwWMNbr968

Last edited by Inspector86; 10-03-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Me personally I would stay away from the Axial based trucks. I recently received a SCX10.2 as a birthday gift. All I can say is what a pile of garbage. All 4 tires wobble to the point of when Clark pulls out of the gas station after jumping the cruiser. Then there's the gears in the axle. After 1/2 rotation of the wheel the front locks up going forward. Now spin it in reverse and it is smooth as silk. Rear axle wheels spin fine going forward but in reverse 1/2 turn again and lock up. Next to the actual transmission gears that are so out of round that they get tight and stick. Then we have the wet noddles plastics that flex like crazy. You can almost flex the front bumper back to body with slight pressure. If it weren't a gift it would have gone back but I now need to spend money on making something right that should have been right to start with.
Traxxas makes a nice truck but the electronics in it are horrible (servo and ESC). Servo went after 15 minutes of use and ESC only made 10 minutes and it never left the bench. Needed new ESC and never seen the outside. After replacing both the truck has been solid.
I wouldn't mind a BOM as it's something different it's and it's a kit ( yes I know Traxxas and Axial both have kits) and odds are you going to replace the electronics so why not start with want you want instead of waiting for it to go poof.
These are just my thoughts.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Personally, I would get the TRX kit. That way you get it in pieces and can just build it up how you want it and top it off with a shell of your choosing
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Ok, so I've given her the link to the TRX-4 Sport at RPP so she knows what I want. In the end, it came down to the TRX and the BOM. I really like the unique looks of the BOM and the rear shock mounting options. But, in the end, the Portal axles sealed the deal for me.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Another option for you that was just announced was the SCX10ii raw builders kit. No wheels/tires, no body, no electronics. I think I heard it'll be $199
Asuckaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #20
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I don't get why everybody is down on Axial. I have a couple XR10s and they are very dependable. I only replaced all the axle gears, chubs, knuckles, chassis, links, body, electronics, steering linkage, tires and rims, most of the gearboxes and cvs and axles. But the plastic axle housings are dependable. I would look at the Demon also it is madeby Cross. I have seen a box stock one at a comp, and was very impressed. JMHO.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote