Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Dinky R/C DDK.2 reviews?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Default Dinky R/C DDK.2 reviews?

Has anyone tried out the new Dinky R/C DDK.2 trail or comp setup?
Looking for some reviews and real world experience with either setup.
Thanks,
MuskokaFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

Default Re: Dinky R/C DDK.2 reviews?

I doubt you'll find many personal reviews. The price is insane.

That's especially true when you consider that it's 3D printed and throw in the fact that you could piece it together with parts from China for about half the cost.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I doubt you'll find many personal reviews. The price is insane.

That's especially true when you consider that it's 3D printed and throw in the fact that you could piece it together with parts from China for about half the cost.
Performance isn't cheap. If you want to play around on the trails with the kids then this setup isnt for you.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Performance isn't cheap. If you want to play around on the trails with the kids then this setup isnt for you.

3D printed is cheap. It certainly isn't quality. If his setup was all metal it would be a different story.

You can piece this together from China like I said. It all depends on what you're looking for.

GRU (one of many options): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rcai...843836587.html

Transfer Case: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/INJO...900463205.html
Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

If it was just for fun I wouldn't consider it an option, but I am planning on a performance based scale build and for that it looks like it is worth the money for me.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

3D printed is cheap. It certainly isn't quality. If his setup was all metal it would be a different story.

You can piece this together from China like I said. It all depends on what you're looking for.

GRU (one of many options): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rcai...843836587.html

Transfer Case: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/INJO...900463205.html

Nobody in the comp world wants metal for the cases since it is unnecessary weight. Those chinesium parts are similar enough but the gru doesn't have a mount and you'll need a 1/8-5mm sleeve to adapt it to a driveline. I know people that have twisted the input off that t case too. There is an axial shaft to replace it but that's just an added cost, the knockoff stuff rarely actually saves money.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Nobody in the comp world wants metal for the cases since it is unnecessary weight. Those chinesium parts are similar enough but the gru doesn't have a mount and you'll need a 1/8-5mm sleeve to adapt it to a driveline. I know people that have twisted the input off that t case too. There is an axial shaft to replace it but that's just an added cost, the knockoff stuff rarely actually saves money.
Plus the overdrive and counter rotating ability is a must for a comp scaler.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Failures happens to every brand. As long as you're not running a 1kv motor with 19S and lacking throttle control you should be alright in most situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaFrank View Post
Plus the overdrive and counter rotating ability is a must for a comp scaler.
Yes, overdrive is a must. It is possible to do with the Chinese parts though. But if you are making a comp rig I understand why you want light weight.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm also curious about this kit, I see its no longer up on Dinky RC's website. Have they stopped making it already?

Oh and I can see it looks to be using SLS 3D printing which is pretty tough stuff.

Seems like the most common thing I hear about Dinky RC products is disappointment and buyers remorse but if anyone has some insight into the DDK.2 or whether this is still being supported or not I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Just realized that I dont have a way to flip my current front axle (narrowed SCX10.2 housing) to use the counter rotating transfer case. It might be possible to use a different output shaft to get the right rotation but it isnt very clear what the options are. EDIT 2: you can run it with normal rotation but will lose the overdrive.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-23-2018 at 12:20 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm not a fan of printed items yet with maybe the exception of well done garage accessories. What about the kit items being CNC machined from the proper plastic stock for the application. The reason I ask this is from the carpet oval world. Some parts are carbon fiber, some aluminum but some parts are CNC machined plastic. Good enough to be threaded in some front end parts

Last edited by sherbs; 11-23-2018 at 06:13 PM.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Just to update this a bit I sent an email to Dinky RC asking if this item was still in production, Its been a week and I havent heard back so I'll assume they're done making this kit.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Although I haven't ordered this transmission kit, I did order some other stuff more than a week ago and there's been no updates to my order. Not very impressed with their service so far as a 1st time buyer.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Dinky R/C DDK.2 reviews? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dinky ddk kit battery location 1320king Axial SCX-10 0 09-16-2014 09:51 PM
Dinky ddk Bogncrawl General Crawlers 3 11-13-2012 08:42 PM