Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10.2 Raw Builder's Kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #21

Default Re: Axial SCX10.2 Raw Builder's Kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Considering the Axial kit is already in the hands of a few people, I'd say that HPI merely got their press release out first. The kit transmission would have been nice, but the newer style axles are actually stronger than the kit ones. Metal trans gears, Universals, Aluminum kit-style links in three different wheelbase options. Deadbolt has none of those.
It's odd that Axial waited to announce the "Raw" kit then. But HPI announced it first and you can already pre-order their chassis at multiple outlets so I'm still going to say they were first. Whether or not they make it to market first is another story and we all know how that race will probably turnout.

I like the one-piece Deadbolt rear axle, but I'm not as much a fan of it for the front. But in the end it's a cost cutting design and that's why it's included.

I wasn't aware that the Raw kit includes multiple length links. That's cool, but also kind of a waste. I'd much prefer good shocks over links I'm not going to use.

You're right. The Deadbolt has a lot of plastic parts in inexcusable places. This Raw chassis is more inline with the competition. The Venture SBK has all of those "upgrades" as well sans the additional links, of course. In addition, the Venture SKB also includes much better shocks, much higher quality plastics and axle weights. Sounds like a draw to me if you factor in the price difference for the extra shocks. Most people are going to trash the Axial Raw shocks.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I like it - good job Axial. The only "miss" I see is they used the junk one-piece ring gear/locker which are sintered metal instead of the hardened steel gears used in the original kit. I like the plastic shock inclusion - doesn't force you to pay for junk aluminum Icons. I guarantee you if they had included those and the price was $225-$250, people would be saying "why not just include plastic shocks and lower the price to $199.99, since I would upgrade the shocks anyways?"

Solid platform for folks. I love the inclusion of links for three wheelbases, especially with the 12.3" wheelbase being so popular, but the Blazer is 12.0" and is a gorgeous body, especially with the new topper. So this way you can pick your wheelbase to suit your needs.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's odd that Axial waited to announce the "Raw" kit then. But HPI announced it first and you can already pre-order their chassis at multiple outlets so I'm still going to say they were first. Whether or not they make it to market first is another story and we all know how that race will probably turnout.

I like the one-piece Deadbolt rear axle, but I'm not as much a fan of it for the front. But in the end it's a cost cutting design and that's why it's included.

I wasn't aware that the Raw kit includes multiple length links. That's cool, but also kind of a waste. I'd much prefer good shocks over links I'm not going to use.

You're right. The Deadbolt has a lot of plastic parts in inexcusable places. This Raw chassis is more inline with the competition. The Venture SBK has all of those "upgrades" as well sans the additional links, of course. In addition, the Venture SKB also includes much better shocks, much higher quality plastics and axle weights. Sounds like a draw to me if you factor in the price difference for the extra shocks. Most people are going to trash the Axial Raw shocks.
I doubt Axial went and hurried this because of HPI, but weirder things have happened. Regardless, options in the marketplace are excellent for us. RPP has opened their pre-order for the Axial kit as I type this.

The revised one-piece front axle also eliminates the potential for spinning those lockouts - which has been known to happen. I still prefer them, despite that.

Waste? No, this gives people tons of options out of the box for all kinds of different bodies. That's a great thing, especially for the fickle (myself included) that like to build multiple things from the same chassis, or those incapable of making their own links.

I've yet to break anything other than an Axial rod end (and that was in a truck going 55 mph). I'll give you the shocks point, though, despite no first hand experience with the HPI ones.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I like the plastic shock inclusion - doesn't force you to pay for junk aluminum Icons. I guarantee you if they had included those and the price was $225-$250, people would be saying "why not just include plastic shocks and lower the price to $199.99, since I would upgrade the shocks anyways?"
"Yeah why dont they just include good shocks" Well....... maybe because they dont have any lol!

I'm not an Axial hater I just dont care for any of their shocks
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
"Yeah why dont they just include good shocks" Well....... maybe because they dont have any lol!

I'm not an Axial hater I just dont care for any of their shocks
I guess.... that's true.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #26
RCC Addict

:
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #27
RCC Addict

:
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I like it - good job Axial. The only "miss" I see is they used the junk one-piece ring gear/locker which are sintered metal instead of the hardened steel gears used in the original kit. I like the plastic shock inclusion - doesn't force you to pay for junk aluminum Icons. I guarantee you if they had included those and the price was $225-$250, people would be saying "why not just include plastic shocks and lower the price to $199.99, since I would upgrade the shocks anyways?"

Solid platform for folks. I love the inclusion of links for three wheelbases, especially with the 12.3" wheelbase being so popular, but the Blazer is 12.0" and is a gorgeous body, especially with the new topper. So this way you can pick your wheelbase to suit your needs.

Why can't they just develop good shocks? After all these years I'd say it's long overdue. At this point they could even package the plastic Ascender shocks and they'd be a big upgrade. But I agree that the aluminum Icon shocks are no better and it's good they omitted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
I doubt Axial went and hurried this because of HPI, but weirder things have happened. Regardless, options in the marketplace are excellent for us. RPP has opened their pre-order for the Axial kit as I type this.

The revised one-piece front axle also eliminates the potential for spinning those lockouts - which has been known to happen. I still prefer them, despite that.

Waste? No, this gives people tons of options out of the box for all kinds of different bodies. That's a great thing, especially for the fickle (myself included) that like to build multiple things from the same chassis, or those incapable of making their own links.

I've yet to break anything other than an Axial rod end (and that was in a truck going 55 mph). I'll give you the shocks point, though, despite no first hand experience with the HPI ones.

I don't think Axial hurried the development of this product because of HPI, but the Venture SBK announcement may have caused them to announce it sooner than planned. We'll probably never know.

Fair enough about the included links. I'd rather have better parts instead of extras, but to each their own.

I’ve broken lots of Axial plastic over the years and that’s not even mentioning their rod ends that stretch like rubber or their plastic hollow balls that should have died long ago. I think there's a reason most SCX10's are mostly made of aftermarket parts. I even twisted a couple of their metal Bomber links like they were Chinesium with mild driving in my back yard!

The good thing is they didn't include AFJB... Another Freaking Jeep Body or their wheels and tires that nobody uses. Hopefully this catches on since Axial seems to have the ability to set precedents. It's time more companies realize we don't need bodies and RTR grade tires and wheels in kits.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Since I've never had an SCX10 or a Jeep - I kinda want to slap a Pro-Line Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon body one one of these...

And I suppose I'd just install some Traxxas GTS shocks on it, since as per usual they did their shocks right!

And WertyMade bumpers...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Pricewise this brings them down into MST territory, so that's good.

I wanted to do an older Bronco next...the short WB should be good for that, maybe even justify an Origin body.

I have wheels and tires I haven't even opened yet!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #31
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Since I've never had an SCX10 or a Jeep - I kinda want to slap a Pro-Line Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon body one one of these...

And I suppose I'd just install some Traxxas GTS shocks on it, since as per usual they did their shocks right!

And WertyMade bumpers...
Ya can’t take the Jeep out of an Axial...

How is that flatbed BOM coming along?

(I almost put one under my arm at the hobby store the other day)
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

"The only thing holding you back is building your own"

I know but i have a small apartment and my only work table are my pallet sized living room table, which are often filled with RC.
Also when it come to tools i just have the basic hand tools and a drilling machine, dont even have a dremel yet.
Also the things i want to build are often in metal, and while i am skilled in all kinds of welding and even solder though that was not a part of the education description when i was a machine worker.
Then thats not something i can do here,even if i had the hardware to do it.

And yes there are a range of hard-bodies, have driven the Yota for a long time on the TF2 and i also have a assembled and painted K5 body that have seen little use.
At least the K5 i do not like how it have killed the handling of my car, but i could probably better that with other suspension setup and foams.
But money as a retired Dane are also small, so what little i can scrape together i have to spread out between a few things as scalers are not my only hobby.
ATM i an dumping money into a new computer, both my own money and the banks money as thats all i can do with such a large amount ( plenty money to buy several of these builders kits )

Perhaps it is just my insatiable urge to be different than the other boys, but its always the same cars i see + /- a little custom & scale parts.

At the comp last weekend i was happy to see i was the only one that drove with the power wagon body, but i know a few of the guys have that one too, just slab on the Jeep body as thats easier.
I was also the only guys there with a body not mounted in the conventional way ( rc4wd screw on hard body or clip on regular body )

Dont get me wrong i really dig the scale level on hard bodies, i wish they would make better lexan bodies in that regard, cuz that can be done too.

The winner of "the look" part of the comp last weekend, needless to say this rig was flattening gates left and right, and our rule set are not like the US one are for competitions, so he dident have any look points as spare.

Last edited by Peaker; 10-19-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #33
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I don't think Axial hurried the development of this product because of HPI, but the Venture SBK announcement may have caused them to announce it sooner than planned. We'll probably never know.
Just a coincidence...this had been planned for a while and these will ship on time...if not sooner.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #34
RCC Addict

it really bugs me that the skid doesn't capture the front links like the rear does.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Uhhhhg... Where to begin.

Ok I will just say it. THANK YOU AXIAL. You won me back with this.

Now before all the ascender family calls me a traitor... Rest assured I will always, ALWAYS reach for my ascender first. But this kit is just too awesome to deny.
Believe me I want to not like this but I can't lol
I always scoffed at axial and their exclusive "fest".
Yes I own a yeti and its what got me back into RC so I'm greatful for that. But now... They go and do this...

AND TOTALLY REDEEM THEMSELVES.

yeah for the price and decent equipment, I am going to get one of these.
I was literally about to start a new thread asking what rig I should get next with a yeti, 2 ascenders, and a barrage in my stable. This just made the choice a whole lot easier.

Looking forward to posting my first build thread in the scx10 section RIGHT after the holidays.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Ya can’t take the Jeep out of an Axial...

How is that flatbed BOM coming along?

(I almost put one under my arm at the hobby store the other day)
You, sir...

Have me confused with someone else!

No BOM purchase here, I may have made one of my usual "If I get one of these I'd..." comments regarding the BOM, but I don't have one.

I currently have 1.5 more Bombers to either build or sell off parts from, a new cab and cage for my Ascender, and a Nomad with a few upgrades to be installed so it can be broken in on the dirt.

(and half-a-dozen extra wheel and tire sets to try out for everything)

Unknown at this time as to what will be purchased next.

SO many choices...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Just a coincidence...this had been planned for a while and these will ship on time...if not sooner.
Oh I believe it's been planned for a while, but was yesterday the scheduled announcement day from the start? If so that is quite the coincidence. But I wouldn't be surprised if you said the announcement date was moved up.

Can you comment about the shocks? Will Axial ever get good shocks? And are there any new Ascenders on the horizon (no pun intended)? Or will it be relegated to your mid range truck between the Axial and ECX?

To another point, people have been offering new SCX10 "sliding" chassis from RTRs as well as chassis kits taken from SCX10 kits on eBay for a long, long time. If you wanted a builder's kit, similar to this, in the past there were options on eBay. The same goes for pretty much any other popular RC. They just aren't official products obviously. It's good to see companies move to make them official offerings.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Will there be a SCX10.2 + Ascender love child? (with the best genes passed on)
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #39
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
You, sir...

Have me confused with someone else!

No BOM purchase here, I may have made one of my usual "If I get one of these I'd..." comments regarding the BOM, but I don't have one.

I currently have 1.5 more Bombers to either build or sell off parts from, a new cab and cage for my Ascender, and a Nomad with a few upgrades to be installed so it can be broken in on the dirt.

(and half-a-dozen extra wheel and tire sets to try out for everything)

Unknown at this time as to what will be purchased next.

SO many choices...
See bold. I remember because it’s a good idea my friend

I might not be the sharpest tack in the cork board, but I remember things....occasionally
Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #40
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Will there be a SCX10.2 + Ascender love child? (with the best genes passed on)
The funny thing is, at least from what I see, is that since Horizon acquired Axial some marketing ideas have already been shuffled back and forth. The last Vaterra release was the equivalent of the typical axial with more plastic pieces. This Axial release contains the metal links allowing variable wheelbases and metal gears, Something Vaterra characteristically started doing awhile back.

Axial SCX10.2 Raw Builder's Kit. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10-II Raw Builder's Kit 4RunnerKid Axial SCX10 II 60 03-02-2019 11:29 PM
ECX Barrrage Builder's Kit Thread Mongol Pete 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 12-04-2017 11:07 AM
Axial SCX10 Dingo Builder's Kit Unboxing! Zealot RC Videos! 0 12-03-2015 04:58 PM
Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit darkghost92 Newbie General 26 05-05-2015 01:04 AM
New Guy Buying Scx-10 "Builder's Kit" Barzano.Racing Newbie General 10 11-15-2011 08:17 PM