LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default axle gears

So last night my front end decided it wasnt going to work anymore
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F_...vELMz-_5x9einV

Pinion gear stripped out
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CI...SuSIJWLYq7ZkCh

Any particular brands to stay away from?

Current set up is 38/13T front and rear

i have read about over under gears but i do alot of trail riding and rock stuff more then climbing sand hills so would they be worth it

Thanks guys!
Alexg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Default Re: axle gears

The Axial HD gears are nice and that's usually what I go for. I'm not sure if they are available anymore. LockedUp RC makes them as well and they are probably cheaper. LURC does have overdrive (OD) and underdrive (UD).

OD/UD help a lot while climbing up. It can also make the truck have a tighter turning radius since the front wheels spin faster than the rears. There really isn't a drawback to them on a scaler IMO. The only way you should avoid them is if you have a really fast rig.

SCX10
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

From personal experience, I would stay away from the RC4WD gears. They're made of "dried cheese". I hate to say it because I do like some of their stuff, but their ring and pinions, NO.

I second Jato on OD/UD, or at a minimum UD out back. It's one of those mods that in my opinion, probably yields the most bang for the buck. Go 43/13 in back - you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 10-29-2018 at 11:23 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I did buy 2 sets of the 13/43s so ill stick a set in the rear and keep the stocks in the front and see how it handles .. worse case ill stick the other set up front and change my pinion gear from a 16 back to a 20 and get some wheel speed back
Old 11-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Little update,

Did the Over under and it seams to be working out pretty well .. i really gotta figure out suspension stuff so i ordered up some soft springs for the rear.. Truck really has no weight outback so it doesn't like to flex or do anything really

but other then that everything so far has come together !
Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I just installed Axial green-coded springs - 1.7lb/in: AX31443 - in all four corners on my RTR Blazer. The ones they come with are 1.13 (white) on rear and 2.63 (yellow) front - too soft and too hard. Even swapping them front to rear, was better, but now too soft in front once you put the battery in. It was like they installed what was left over in the bin. Why not put the green ones all around in the first place??

The new ones are juuuuuust right.

Then updated all the links to SSD alloys with metal balls, and it really crawls nice now. In fact, it keeps right up with my specially built-for-comp Ascender. Even with 4.4" tires.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have found that the housing has alot to do with gear life i used to blow my gears regularly even axial hd gears but after switching to metal housings i havent had any issues not once even the dirt cheap gears i got to just get the rig running are holding up good just slight signs of ware in a rig that waighs 20lbs and runs big power other rig 14lbs bigger power same gears for years and they still look good
The plastic housings have to much flex especialy as the temp rises inside the axle and any time it gets over 100° outside the plastic is useless in my opinion the gears just glide past each other with out messing up the gears too bad but it sounds horable
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I bought the 1.04s for the rear and what a difference..
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hj...bqIMyvrCxfzE2E

and the over unders do well
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zu...U9etYUpREBQqIr

axle gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hd gears for axle Mitchell72 Axial Wraith 5 04-07-2016 10:23 AM
axle gears Jeffd Axial XR10 11 12-20-2011 03:33 PM
How to remove inner axle gears without pressing axle pins! revo-4tec-mike XTM Crawler 2 03-07-2009 07:11 PM