Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Aluminium skid plate or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Aluminium skid plate or not

This is about my SCX10, but I guess it's relevant to all like rigs. I'm considering to change the plastic skid plate with an aluminium one. Simple question, is it a good idea? Heavier, stronger OK - but does it slide over rocks, or will I get stuck more often?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Aluminium skid plate or not

It won’t be considerably heavier, but it will not slide over rocks nearly as well as the plastic.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
It won’t be considerably heavier, but it will not slide over rocks nearly as well as the plastic.
Would you say it's a stupid upgrade all in all?

Old 12-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Depends on what your goals are. It will no doubt be stronger but it will not slide on rock as good as plastic. I'm not sure I have ever heard of anyone complaining about how weak the stock skid is, mostly only about getting hung up on it. The decision is yours.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The stock skid is just fine, and a aluminum skid is a waste of money imo...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If it were a decent grade of aluminium that is actually fairly hard & was anodised (adds surface hardness) & was machined so it was smooth underneath it Might be worth doing.

But most are the softest, cheapest, easiest machining cheesium they can find & to bling them up they pocket mill all sorts of nice catch points out of the underside.
Things like this for any extra strength or mass they have will just hang up so much as to be more irritating than benefit

Something in smooth easy sliding Delrin would be much nicer (assuming you can find anything in stock anywhere that is)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/vader-p...rscx10/p698753

https://thescaleshop.webs.com/chassis.htm

Last edited by altd896; 12-03-2018 at 08:11 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I would say it is not an upgrade. I would put that money towards something that enhances performance. Say, some good tire foams if you have not done that yet.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #8

You could consider using a trans skid that has a higher flush profile even with the chassis rails. One made out of Delrin which would offer less friction then plastic or alum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howlkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

People make all kids of claims about the sliding ability of plastic vs aluminum and I've never found a noticeable difference. The most important thing is that it's smooth on the bottom and doesn't have any spots to hangup like on that Integy skid above. Avoid that thing - too many snagging spots.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
People make all kids of claims about the sliding ability of plastic vs aluminum and I've never found a noticeable difference. The most important thing is that it's smooth on the bottom and doesn't have any spots to hangup like on that Integy skid above. Avoid that thing - too many snagging spots.
I would agree with your statement when crawling smooth, rounded rocks Jato. However, when crawling in more geometric, sharp edged stuff, there is indeed a noticeable difference. I’ve had plastic and aluminum skids on my old AX-10 and my Wraith. The aluminum skids were both smooth with none of the hanging and snag points like the one pictured above. They definitely hang more in the sharp edged stuff. To me, it just comes down to the fact that an aluminum skid yields no benefit, and potentially limits ability to slide n glide over rocks in certain environments. Bottom line for me, there are much better places to spend the $30-$45. Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I would agree with your statement when crawling smooth, rounded rocks Jato. However, when crawling in more geometric, sharp edged stuff, there is indeed a noticeable difference. I’ve had plastic and aluminum skids on my old AX-10 and my Wraith. The aluminum skids were both smooth with none of the hanging and snag points like the one pictured above. They definitely hang more in the sharp edged stuff. To me, it just comes down to the fact that an aluminum skid yields no benefit, and potentially limits ability to slide n glide over rocks in certain environments. Bottom line for me, there are much better places to spend the $30-$45. Just my .02 cents.
I'll continue to disagree.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
If it were a decent grade of aluminium that is actually fairly hard & was anodised (adds surface hardness) & was machined so it was smooth underneath it Might be worth doing.

But most are the softest, cheapest, easiest machining cheesium they can find & to bling them up they pocket mill all sorts of nice catch points out of the underside.
Things like this for any extra strength or mass they have will just hang up so much as to be more irritating than benefit

Something in smooth easy sliding Delrin would be much nicer (assuming you can find anything in stock anywhere that is)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/vader-p...rscx10/p698753

https://thescaleshop.webs.com/chassis.htm
Thanks I have already installed one of them on another rig, but has yet to try it!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the input, guys! I see all your points. I already got a delrin one mentioned above and look forward to try it. I have some aluminium axles on a rig and noticed that they will both slide over rocks, and also suddenly hang up completely on certain rocks (an upside to that is they look very cool when they are worn over time )

One of the reasons I considered an aluminium skid plate is that my old Axial one looks horrible and I don't know if it will suddenly crack in half one day, and maybe aluminium would also provide a more stable base for the transmission case.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
Thanks for all the input, guys! I see all your points. I already got a delrin one mentioned above and look forward to try it. I have some aluminium axles on a rig and noticed that they will both slide over rocks, and also suddenly hang up completely on certain rocks (an upside to that is they look very cool when they are worn over time )

One of the reasons I considered an aluminium skid plate is that my old Axial one looks horrible and I don't know if it will suddenly crack in half one day, and maybe aluminium would also provide a more stable base for the transmission case.

Aluminum axles definitely look the part, and I agree they begin to look cool with "battle scars". I also agree about how they can hang on certain rocks - primarily the sharper edged stuff I mentioned earlier - not unlike aluminum versus plastic skid in my experience on 2 different rigs. I do run aluminum axles on all of my rigs, primarily for the durability. I got sick and tired of knuckles and lock-outs constantly loosening up, and the holes in the axle housings for them stripping out. Plus, aluminum axles definitely bring the scale factor up.

Having said all that, I'm not a Comp guy, but there's a reason 90+ percent of them run plastic, and it's not because they enjoy constantly tightening things and dealing with stripped out holes. It slides over rocks better and is typically a good bit lighter than the aluminum equivalent.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 12-05-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Aluminium skid plate or not - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Measurements for stock AX10 Transmission mounting plate/skid plate Apoch Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 04-09-2012 07:53 AM
Steel or aluminium axil skid plate Skier Venom Creeper 9 06-07-2011 01:07 PM
Aluminium skid plate Tom94offroaduk General Crawlers 2 01-20-2011 11:48 AM
Skid plate minor_threat Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 03-06-2009 07:16 PM