Notices

Thread: Axial News - Bad News?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

VS4-10 Origin seems like a natural progression for me. [shrug]
I think I'll save my pennies. Oh, in this case....hundreds. LOL

I've seen at least one of these at a recent comp or two - neither was doing anything special. Also a [shrug] Obviously you still have to be able to drive, right???

Wasn't there another one like this that was more like $1800?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

I've seen at least one of these at a recent comp or two - neither was doing anything special. Also a [shrug] Obviously you still have to be able to drive, right???

The ripper is what you're thinking of. (I think)

And it's even less of a complete truck. Don't get me wrong, I've seen one in person and it's amazing, but out of my league and still needs a bunch of pieces to be complete (axles, trans, rails, skid, driveshafts, and a bunch of fiddly bits).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by JSterrett; 12-07-2018 at 01:07 PM.
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Try converting the vanquish rig to canadian lmao

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Vanquish offered both? Ripper and Origin?
Kinda rich...
Old 12-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Vanquish offered both? Ripper and Origin?

Kinda rich...

Ripper is not a truck.
It’s a CNC billet cage to be used with your truck. It starts life as a huge chunk, and is machined. It was more of a challenge to what can VP do rather than a prized seller.

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/pre...ipper-project/

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Ripper is not a truck.
It’s a CNC billet cage to be used with your truck. It starts life as a huge chunk, and is machined. It was more of a challenge to what can VP do rather than a prized seller.

Yes & no. They were only going to do 50 of them so they came with a number so they were sort of special beyond starting from a solid chunk (75 lbs if I remember right) of aluminum. Those sold out so fast they've continued to make them without numbers ever since. I'm guessing the people willing to fork over the cash has slowed down since I haven't seen any ripper based attention whore threads in a while.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Who is 'Rich' at The RCNetwork - RC Cars - Remote Control - Radio Control ??
Found the site looking at images. Lots of content, but with what qualification, and why a separate website? Anybody seen this one?

Vanquish Origin looks interesting...Ripper not so much.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Stop buying rtr junk. No manufacturers make anything I personally like out of the box so I don't waste my time and money. I buy parts and build what I want and I'm satisfied.
Rtr shouldn't be junk though and if it is and keeps being junk, you will soon have fewer and fewer manufacturers for this hobby because it won't grow and people won't get into it. Rtr should then offer versions that have the good parts already because trying to sell a rig that needs all kinds of assembly to someone who just wants to drive it and it costs $900 is a near impossible sell. I am newish to the hobby and all kinds of people here (even Harley himself) told me to buy a bomber but then you click a thread like this and you hear its junk. Its all over the place here. I mean this as a toy in the end and a toy car shouldn't cost you $1200-$1500 to have one that isn't "junk". Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Who is 'Rich' at The RCNetwork - RC Cars - Remote Control - Radio Control ??
Found the site looking at images. Lots of content, but with what qualification, and why a separate website? Anybody seen this one?

Vanquish Origin looks interesting...Ripper not so much.
I don't know what he does for a living normally, but I do know that he's local to us. A lot of his videos are taken at OCRC and Regency Park in Lake Forest.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #70
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:

The Origin will take you for over a grand and some tenth scale anxiety north of the 49th.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
Rtr shouldn't be junk though and if it is and keeps being junk, you will soon have fewer and fewer manufacturers for this hobby because it won't grow and people won't get into it. Rtr should then offer versions that have the good parts already because trying to sell a rig that needs all kinds of assembly to someone who just wants to drive it and it costs $900 is a near impossible sell. I am newish to the hobby and all kinds of people here (even Harley himself) told me to buy a bomber but then you click a thread like this and you hear its junk. Its all over the place here. I mean this as a toy in the end and a toy car shouldn't cost you $1200-$1500 to have one that isn't "junk". Just my thoughts.

Rtr has been pretty much the same since it was popularized by tower offering their combo deals in the 90's. A plastic rig that's put together with enough craptastic electronics to get it running good enough for you to realize you need to spend some real money to keep it going for more than a battery at a time.

The rtr bomber is meh on it's best day. The electronics package is garbage, hence why the servo, then motor and then esc (usually in that order) fail pretty quickly. If they included electronics that were really up to bomber standards it would cost $650 and youd be out ramming into things at 20 mph and their warranty department would need expanding.

As it is the bomber kit with decent electronics is a good deal but it isn't the easy road for a noobie to navigate. If you're new to rc it is easy to get completely lost in the sea of parts availability. Buying an rtr and learning what good upgrades to make as you go is better in the long run. When the electronics die it is very tempting to slap some ebay chinesium in it. But you gotta realize that the junk that just died was probably made by the same level of company so its going to be crap too.

Rcc is a solid resource to find information, so incredibly much better than bookface. You're going to be fine searching for upgrades and knowledge.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #72
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Rtr has been pretty much the same since it was popularized by tower offering their combo deals in the 90's. A plastic rig that's put together with enough craptastic electronics to get it running good enough for you to realize you need to spend some real money to keep it going for more than a battery at a time.

The rtr bomber is meh on it's best day. The electronics package is garbage, hence why the servo, then motor and then esc (usually in that order) fail pretty quickly. If they included electronics that were really up to bomber standards it would cost $650 and youd be out ramming into things at 20 mph and their warranty department would need expanding.

As it is the bomber kit with decent electronics is a good deal but it isn't the easy road for a noobie to navigate. If you're new to rc it is easy to get completely lost in the sea of parts availability. Buying an rtr and learning what good upgrades to make as you go is better in the long run. When the electronics die it is very tempting to slap some ebay chinesium in it. But you gotta realize that the junk that just died was probably made by the same level of company so its going to be crap too.

Rcc is a solid resource to find information, so incredibly much better than bookface. You're going to be fine searching for upgrades and knowledge.
I appreciate your response and thoughts. The warranty part of what you are saying seems to be the contradictory part of the companies though as I read it. (They put cheap crap in it so it breaks fast) doesn't that mean the warranty dept should be blowing up and sending out tons of parts for free? I researched enough to get my masters before I made a purchase and reached out to Harley as well for his opinion on my situation. The rtr bomber was my choice because I wasn't sure if i would still be interested after a couple times because I have 38284838 hobbies and am always moving to the next journey but rc cars were my fav thing as a kid so I am late 30's now and living up the childhood I think I should have had lol. I do like the bomber and will upgrade not replace things as they fail and I only will use good stuff as in all my hobbies to upgrade them, not put me back in a spot for it to break again quick. Got a buddy getting back into it with a ton of knowledge so I think I'll be good. Got a senton brushless 3s on the way because this bomber is slow and will just be a crawler for me and I'll get my sliding, speed and jumps with the senton.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Go find my "I don't fawk around" thread in the bomber section if you want to see how to make a fast & durable bomber. Using most of the same parts as I used but scaling back to 2s or 3s and lower kv brushless will reward you with long service.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Yeah, IMO a Bomber isn't a beginner rig. I guess for a RTR it's fine, but building one is really the way to go to get the most out of it, and it can be very expensive that way. These guys were a big help in directing my build and choices and so far I'm really happy with it. About a grand so far. But it's my 5th RC truck. Some of us are addicted to building and running them all. LOL

All of the RTR's are designed to be entry level as built. For a cheap price point. If you want some upgrades to come with it you need to choose a trx or a CRC Rubicon or the like - then you get some better stuff. They cost more too.

Vaterra gives a lot of bang for the buck, entry level, and are pretty much bulletproof. I have 3 of those and they're all different.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I don't know what he does for a living normally, but I do know that he's local to us. A lot of his videos are taken at OCRC and Regency Park in Lake Forest.
Were is regency park in lake forest ive never herd of it i grew up there back when it was still called el toro i went to el toro high school lol but there werent alot of parks around in those days
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Now I realize I was wrong.
Sig worthy quote right here
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #77
20K Club

Quote:
Yes & no. They were only going to do 50 of them so they came with a number so they were sort of special beyond starting from a solid chunk (75 lbs if I remember right) of aluminum. Those sold out so fast they've continued to make them without numbers ever since. I'm guessing the people willing to fork over the cash has slowed down since I haven't seen any ripper based attention whore threads in a while.
Well, no...

We were making a total of 9. Because thats how many could be made out of the material that was initially bought. They were all just going to be given to our brand partners (Currie, KMC, Method, Rigid). It takes about 100 lbs to build each one and over 40 hours of machine time. None were ever going to be sold. We got bugged enough that we came up with a number, expecting to sell maybe 10-20. We have sold over 100 now, each one is still serialized. I have a waiting list still of about 30 cars, the wait time is around 120 days. The price is way low for the machine time in comparison to any other product we offer.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Well, no...

We were making a total of 9. Because thats how many could be made out of the material that was initially bought. They were all just going to be given to our brand partners (Currie, KMC, Method, Rigid). It takes about 100 lbs to build each one and over 40 hours of machine time. None were ever going to be sold. We got bugged enough that we came up with a number, expecting to sell maybe 10-20. We have sold over 100 now, each one is still serialized. I have a waiting list still of about 30 cars, the wait time is around 120 days. The price is way low for the machine time in comparison to any other product we offer.
So they still have serial numbers, groovy.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #79
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Is this the reason there is no longer an Ascender kit? While I can appreciate that a product need be profitable to justify its production, at what point does taking away kits begin to erode what is the 'hobby' in all of this?

I recently purchased an SCX10ii kit because I couldn't buy a Vaterra equivalent. There really isnt much to the kit and yet I still found it missing a few parts. An issue I never had with any of my Vaterra kits, all of which were discontinued. Again, while I understand the need for profit, I must say, as a consumer I am baffled by Horizons business decisions.
We did not renew our license on the K5 Blazer, thus the reason the Kit went away.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You will get just as much fun out of it as the more expensive trucks, no doubt!
We so often we forget this...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial News - Bad News? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News/Bad News Duuuuuuuude Vendors Market 0 04-11-2016 02:53 PM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 02:45 PM
Good News, Bad News thumper68 Chit Chat 12 06-02-2010 12:56 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 12:42 PM