Notices

Thread: Axial News - Bad News?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I couldn't find anything on this - what is your source?

Arrma survives lawsuits file by Traxxas and continues on with success under Horizon. (or are they still pending?)
Tower hobbies looks to survive - not sure how.
Everything gets discounted to move product - never thought I would see that.
Axial raw builders kit introduced instead of it being from Vaterra. Vaterra should fall in under Axial. Maybe we would get some better plastic parts.

This hobby shop owner has some interesting comments...
https://rogershobbycenter.com/from-b...bbico-now-what

Just threw in a impossible scenario.... no source, no actual thought it would or could happen, Just stirring the pot...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #102
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprudic0404 View Post

might you know why axial stopped the MAX D version of the smt10, but kept grave digger?
(ive been picking up as much MAX D stuff only because its such a hit with friends and family- everyone loves gravedigger, but max-d takes top place when compared side by side, with these folks)
(rip max-d)

I have a feeling the Axial Grave Digger has been put out to pasture now too. Most sites show it to be Unavailable or Discontinued.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK40 View Post
I have a feeling the Axial Grave Digger has been put out to pasture now too. Most sites show it to be Unavailable or Discontinued.
Ugh! I think you are correct, sadly. It is listed as "Unavailable" on Axial's website.

Axial Racing - SMT10
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Glad I bought my SMT10 already in that case!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

I've stocked up on SMT10 chassis' off fleabay so i can build a few Monster or Mega trucks in the future. The rest is readily available parts off other axial vehicles or hobby shops anyway.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

I just got my son an SMT10 last week. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I just got my son an SMT10 last week. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did.

Dont you need one for yourself??
Old 12-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have never bought a new rig. Not a kit nor rtr, everything I get is used and usually ends up with nothing stock in a short amount of time so basically as long as good designs keep coming from the factories for the aftermarket to build from, I don't care what happens.

The assender wouldn't suck so bad if it wasn't geared to the moon and the links weren't 3" apart. That thing is the epitome of torque twist straight out the box. Maybe it needs portals to gear it down and the lower links spaced out to get things under control? That would make it usable but as is those axles can suck it.
the axles may suck, but im trying to prove they aren't so bad with the right setup. my "gayler" project taz uses 3 tcases and it is 3 linked with panhard front and rear. im going to use a sub 1000kv outrunner on it. should work just fine. if it don't, im going back to worm gears on that rig.

but, in one of your previous comments... the og ax10 axles had compatible parts with the wk?

I agree, used rigs for cheap are the only way to go, or a pile of aftermarket parts with a few new plastics here and there from the company of choice.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
the axles may suck, but im trying to prove they aren't so bad with the right setup. my "gayler" project taz uses 3 tcases and it is 3 linked with panhard front and rear. im going to use a sub 1000kv outrunner on it. should work just fine. if it don't, im going back to worm gears on that rig.

but, in one of your previous comments... the og ax10 axles had compatible parts with the wk?

I agree, used rigs for cheap are the only way to go, or a pile of aftermarket parts with a few new plastics here and there from the company of choice.

You could run 39 t cases and it would still tend to torque twist due to lack of gear reduction in the axles themselves.

Ring & pinions are compatible, back in the day it was normal to use rs4mt ring & pinions in ax10 axles which are what WK axles use.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Sooooo on the good side, via Axial's instagram, it looks like they're scouting for a temporary location for Axialfest 2019 and will announce that when the time comes.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Maybe they'll let Vaterras in now.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK40 View Post
Dont you need one for yourself??
I unboxed it today because I need to solder on XC60 battery connectors and was thinking it looked like it might be fun to have one for myself.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Ugh! I think you are correct, sadly. It is listed as "Unavailable" on Axial's website.
Out of curiosity, I looked and also listed as "unavailable" are:

-SMT10 Grave Digger
-Yeti XL RTR
-Yeti XL kit
-Yeti Jr
-Wraith Spawn kit

If all of those are discontinued, the Axial line up is down to:

1. SCX10II - 5 RTR versions and 2 kits
2. Bomber - RTR and kit
3. Wraith - 2 RTR versions (including the original RTR Wraith version?)
4. Yeti - RTR

I'll bet the Yeti RTR and the SCXII Cherokee kit will be gone in the not too distant future as well.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #114

Quote:
Maybe they'll let Vaterras in now.

They already said no which is a stupid company move IMO. They should look to expand it by changing the name to Horizon Fest or something and including all of their brands. But, what do I know? I'm not a marketing "expert".

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked and also listed as "unavailable" are:

-SMT10 Grave Digger
-Yeti XL RTR
-Yeti XL kit
-Yeti Jr
-Wraith Spawn kit

If all of those are discontinued, the Axial line up is down to:

1. SCX10II - 5 RTR versions and 2 kits
2. Bomber - RTR and kit
3. Wraith - 2 RTR versions (including the original RTR Wraith version?)
4. Yeti - RTR

I'll bet the Yeti RTR and the SCXII Cherokee kit will be gone in the not too distant future as well.
It makes sense that they are consolidating the product line after Horizon bought Axial. It happens often after company mergers.

The SMT10, sadly, never got the love it deserved IMO and that's probably because it was extremely overpriced and really under built.

The Yeti seemed to get some love, but not a ton.

The Wraith is just an ancient platform.

What worries me is that Horizon is killing all of the Vaterra kits. So how long will the Axial kits stick around?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Raw builder's kits might be all that's left as kits now.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I'd be OK with that. I don't need AFJB - Another F(you guess the rest) Jeep Body!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #117
RCC Addict

Traxxas needs to jump in there with a similar kit, no electronics just chassis, axles and transmission.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
They already said no which is a stupid company move IMO. They should look to expand it by changing the name to Horizon Fest or something and including all of their brands. But, what do I know? I'm not a marketing "expert".

>snip

What worries me is that Horizon is killing all of the Vaterra kits. So how long will the Axial kits stick around?

Vaterra at AxialFest: I agree, it's dumb. But I have a couple of Axials now so I'm golden. LOL It's just so far to drive up to Donner Summit. Still not even sure I'd make the effort. Can't figure out why they would put it so far away for everybody. Proline has the right idea - their 'By The Fire' event is terrific at an easy to get to location.

On kits...
Evidently the vast majority of 'modelers' these days don't care to build. IMO it's a failure of the hobby, and youth. Oh well.

Personally I prefer to build - it's like fixing your own car, if something isn't quite right, or breaks, you generally know exactly what it is. And there's satisfaction of accomplishment. My Bomber kit was one of the more fun things I've done in this hobby/sport. Just complicated enough to be entertaining.

I agree on the raw builders kit - I'll bet that's all there will be. And Traxxas is never gonna do that - their kit is the whole shebang. Vaterra really needs to step to the plate. I still like that platform the best, even with the sucky axles.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I mean, they have released 6 versions of the SCXII and none have used the same transmission as the Cherokee kit. It wouldn't be surprising if the new trans design has been declared a failure and whatever stock is out there will be the end of that kit.

Losing the Bomber kit would be a huge disappointment though, it is probably their best equipped vehicle version ever.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Traxxas needs to jump in there with a similar kit, no electronics just chassis, axles and transmission.
It would be nice, but let's not get greedy. We got a KIT FROM TRAXXAS! That's still hard to believe IMO. It's been, what, 20 years since they last had a kit.

Quote:
Vaterra at AxialFest: I agree, it's dumb. But I have a couple of Axials now so I'm golden. LOL It's just so far to drive up to Donner Summit. Still not even sure I'd make the effort. Can't figure out why they would put it so far away for everybody. Proline has the right idea - their 'By The Fire' event is terrific at an easy to get to location.

On kits...
Evidently the vast majority of 'modelers' these days don't care to build. IMO it's a failure of the hobby, and youth. Oh well.

Personally I prefer to build - it's like fixing your own car, if something isn't quite right, or breaks, you generally know exactly what it is. And there's satisfaction of accomplishment. My Bomber kit was one of the more fun things I've done in this hobby/sport. Just complicated enough to be entertaining.

I agree on the raw builders kit - I'll bet that's all there will be. And Traxxas is never gonna do that - their kit is the whole shebang. Vaterra really needs to step to the plate. I still like that platform the best, even with the sucky axles.
I beg to differe about Proline having their event where it's easy to reach. But I'm in PA.

I think most of us on this site prefer kits. But we are, literally, one out of 100 or one out of 1,000 RC buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I mean, they have released 6 versions of the SCXII and none have used the same transmission as the Cherokee kit. It wouldn't be surprising if the new trans design has been declared a failure and whatever stock is out there will be the end of that kit.

Losing the Bomber kit would be a huge disappointment though, it is probably their best equipped vehicle version ever.
I'm still confused about this whole thing. I thought they changed the trans and axle designs because the molds were being held captive by the company that produced the parts because Axial didn't pay their bills. But they are still producing the old transmissions.

Axial is an odd company right now. Lots of variations of axles and transmissions in order to try to cut costs, but, at least for the trans, none of those versions are great IMO. I don't care what people say and no matter how much they try to convince me, a plastic motor plate is garbage.

Axial News - Bad News? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News/Bad News Duuuuuuuude Vendors Market 0 04-11-2016 02:53 PM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 02:45 PM
Good News, Bad News thumper68 Chit Chat 12 06-02-2010 12:56 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 12:42 PM