Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial News - Bad News?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #1

Default Axial News - Bad News?

Ramblings on the Book of Faces about changes at Axial? I've read ramblings of the Jeff Johns (President/founder of Axial) walked away. Other rumors, as they always do, indicate worse.

Does anybody have the real story?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial News - Bad News?

I don't know sh!t but from social media I have picked up that Shultz and Coonce left Axial throughout 2018.

Edit: Also Rodney left in late 2017 -ish...
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
I don't know sh!t but from social media I have picked up that Shultz and Coonce left Axial throughout 2018.

Isn't Coonce at Vanquish?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yep
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Interesting... I hope they're able to turn the Axial brand around. I'd like to see it rebound and I'd hate to see it go away.

Maybe start designing some new trucks with Vaterra plastic.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #6

Just found this by searching "Axial" on Facebook.

Is there something else I should know about this guy? Even if he is one of the founders which is what I read, companies flourish without them. So it looks like everybody is claiming Axial is done because of one guy leaving. If so, typical jumping off of a bridge by Facebook type peoples.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those buyout after staying on for a transition period type deals from the Horizon Hobby purchase.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Axial will live forever in the aftermarket no matter what the brand dose im sure i would hope they would regroup under a new brand if axial goes by the way side
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I haven't had an Axial rig in the the last four years but I've had 5 or 6 first gen SCX10's and liked them alot, I have no experience with the 2nd gen but from what I'm hearing from some different people is that the quality just isn't what it once was, is this the case? It would be a shame to see a company that was a leader go by the wayside due to lower quality.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post

Yeah I left in Q2 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yup.

Axial will be fine. I wish the best to Jeff in his future, it was quite the ride being a part of the Axial team for 8 years. I do hate to see the original team splitting up.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I haven't had an Axial rig in the the last four years but I've had 5 or 6 first gen SCX10's and liked them alot, I have no experience with the 2nd gen but from what I'm hearing from some different people is that the quality just isn't what it once was, is this the case? It would be a shame to see a company that was a leader go by the wayside due to lower quality.
I personally would not purchase another Axial. I've owned first gen scx10's, scx10.2's, Yeti's, Bombers, Yeti JR :(, and the illusive exo-terra.

While I would hate the thought of axial going away, their product started out mediocre and have went downhill quickly over the years.. (no pun intended). Between their quality issues, lack of new designs, and the other big names getting into the scene, it has got to be killing Axial in terms of turning any type of profit.

To me, the only thing that kept the brand alive as long as it has is the aftermarket support. The aftermarket parts market for axial trucks is one of the best in the business. My favorite part of getting a new axial was removing the stock poor quality parts and replacing it with the endless options on the market.

I also feel that RC enthusiasts in general are tired of dropping 3, 4, 500$ for a new rig, only to just turn around and spend another few hundred fixing all the weak spots. This is especially problematic for newcomers into the hobby... Drop 350$ on a new RTR, electronics fizzle out in a week, spend another hundred getting it running again, and then the next weak spot quits...

My 2 cents.... I don't like to see companies go under, but it honestly would not surprise me.

Last edited by flat6extreme; 12-06-2018 at 02:11 PM.
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6extreme View Post
I personally would not purchase another Axial. I've owned first gen scx10's, scx10.2's, Yeti's, Bombers, Yeti JR :(, and the illusive exo-terra.

While I would hate the thought of axial going away, their product started out mediocre and have went downhill quickly over the years.. (no pun intended). Between their quality issues, lack of new designs, and the other big names getting into the scene, it has got to be killing Axial in terms of turning any type of profit.

To me, the only thing that kept the brand alive as long as it has is the aftermarket support. The aftermarket parts market for axial trucks is one of the best in the business. My favorite part of getting a new axial was removing the stock poor quality parts and replacing it with the endless options on the market.

I also feel that RC enthusiasts in general are tired of dropping 3, 4, 500$ for a new rig, only to just turn around and spend another few hundred fixing all the weak spots. This is especially problematic for newcomers into the hobby... Drop 350$ on a new RTR, electronics fizzle out in a week, spend another hundred getting it running again, and then the next weak spot quits...

My 2 cents.... I don't like to see companies go under, but it honestly would not surprise me.

Stop buying rtr junk. No manufacturers make anything I personally like out of the box so I don't waste my time and money. I buy parts and build what I want and I'm satisfied.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Stop buying rtr junk. No manufacturers make anything I personally like out of the box so I don't waste my time and money. I buy parts and build what I want and I'm satisfied.
"RTR Junk" is what keeps companies in business....

I upgrade every vehicle I get with aftermarket parts, but that wont keep the lights on and doors open at the original manufacturer...
Old 12-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6extreme View Post
"RTR Junk" is what keeps companies in business....

I upgrade every vehicle I get with aftermarket parts, but that wont keep the lights on and doors open at the original manufacturer...
You're more benevolent than I. 90% of my stuff is aftermarket, never bought a single rtr or new rig ever.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You're more benevolent than I. 90% of my stuff is aftermarket, never bought a single rtr or new rig ever.
I rarely ever buy "Brand New", especially full RTR vehicles... That's just silly. The only new items I buy are electronics, tires/wheels, and lipo's.

Last edited by flat6extreme; 12-09-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I read this and now my VS4 makes more sense than ever. Only upgrade I’ve added is a dig ant put shock limiting straps on as I run it in droop.
No extras needed, it was a kit so I guess that’s why it is so good. Not one Axial part, but most are direct copy’s with improvements

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I read this and now my VS4 makes more sense than ever. Only upgrade I’ve added is a dig ant put shock limiting straps on as I run it in droop.
No extras needed, it was a kit so I guess that’s why it is so good. Not one Axial part, but most are direct copy’s with improvements

Hang up and Drive

Am I reading this right? The kit is 900 bucks!!!!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
Am I reading this right? The kit is 900 bucks!!!!!?
Look at the truck before you get too excited about the price, you get lot of aluminum and good parts in it.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Default Axial News - Bad News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Look at the truck before you get too excited about the price, you get lot of aluminum and good parts in it.

To each their own. No doubt.

But 900 dollars just for a 1/10 kit? I’m dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mattyice; 12-06-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I was pretty happy when my new Axial Blazer came in the mail until I noticed the body alignment looked... off. Took off the body and saw this lol. Wow. Brutal materials!

LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial News - Bad News? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News/Bad News Duuuuuuuude Vendors Market 0 04-11-2016 02:53 PM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 02:45 PM
Good News, Bad News thumper68 Chit Chat 12 06-02-2010 12:56 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 12:42 PM