Notices

Thread: Never fear... Tower Hobbies AxFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Never fear... Tower Hobbies AxFest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
There are many reasons to avoid the left coast. I'm surprised you stay in that liberal nest. Although they are trying to take over the East Coast as well...

SoCal, Portland and Seattle are the only really liberal areas. There are pockets of them here & there but over all the west coast is very middle/right but the population centers rule the vote. Check out electoral maps and you'll find far more red than you expect. The west is very different than the east. We have huge vast areas without much of a population, to smaller towns (sub 100k) are the norm, most are 50k or less.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have a buddy that lives in New Jersey that flys put this way for big comps. He is actually looking to move this way for lots of reasons including the weather and killer terrain.

I'm truly sorry for your buddy! The wife and I were stuck in NJ for 2 1/2 years due to her job. Once the job ended we could not get out of that septic tank of a state fast enough.

Last edited by Inspector86; 12-17-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Wouldn't Rausch Creek be a good spot for Axialfest East? Just speculating but if we assume that people drive 7 hrs from LA to Cisco then 7 hours in the NE puts you within range of just about every state except Maine. Now whether the scenery is as nice as it is in Cali can be contested, I suppose...
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
There are many reasons to avoid the left coast. I'm surprised you stay in that liberal nest. Although they are trying to take over the East Coast as well...

Lumping again Tim???? That's kind of like my thinking that everyone in PA thinks the same way you do! Which I know isn't true.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

(thread devolves into ripping on various parts of the country)

No wonder they say screw it and have it the same place every year...

For example, saying Texas is a bad place to hold it - just how big and covered with varied terrain does a state have to be to have a decent crawling locale?

(Not that I'm biased or anything, living here for basically 40 of my near 55 years - I'm pretty damn far from the stereotype of a "Texan")

Frankly, though - I wouldn't be able to make any event more than an easy day's drive away.

Just not realistic considering work.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #46
RCC Addict

I see Axial is in Sacramento. Obviously they have it near there for logistics reasons - Donner Pass is just up the hiway from them.
But gee, an 8-hour drive in any direction from there covers at least 5 states. [shrug]
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Why even bring politics into this???
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
That is such an incorrect stereo type. When you get away from the major cities you run into normal people, be it republican or democrat.

No different then here in PA.

Fair enough. The squeaky wheels in the big cities ruin it for all of us.

Quote:
SoCal, Portland and Seattle are the only really liberal areas. There are pockets of them here & there but over all the west coast is very middle/right but the population centers rule the vote. Check out electoral maps and you'll find far more red than you expect. The west is very different than the east. We have huge vast areas without much of a population, to smaller towns (sub 100k) are the norm, most are 50k or less.

There's a ton of red in this country. The big cities are what's turning states blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Wouldn't Rausch Creek be a good spot for Axialfest East? Just speculating but if we assume that people drive 7 hrs from LA to Cisco then 7 hours in the NE puts you within range of just about every state except Maine. Now whether the scenery is as nice as it is in Cali can be contested, I suppose...

A local crawling club holds theirs at Rausch and I believe it's alongside a 1:1 off road event. Awesome park. I've only been there to ride my four wheeler.

Does Axial or another big manufacturer sponsor Motorama?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Well, I think it’s pretty safe to say that an event in the Midwest or East would be fairly well attended. I do get Axial’s take on doing it in their “backyard” though. I agree with durok, with Traxxas really coming in to the scene, they could easily hold an event in Texas and as he stated, plenty of topography and varying terrain. Still a bit of a poke from the MidWest and East, but I’m all over that state at least a half dozen times a year for work so i’m in!

I also like the idea of a mixed manufacturer event as well, not a brand specific deal. Get Axial, Traxxas, Vaterra, HPI rigs all involved for one big throw down.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post

I also like the idea of a mixed manufacturer event as well, not a brand specific deal. Get Axial, Traxxas, Vaterra, HPI rigs all involved for one big throw down.

That's The PROLINE by the fire event ! All rigs are there crawlin around.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post

The Horse Park near Apple Valley is one of the coolest places I have crawled at! Plenty of room for AxialFest!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
I know - but it’s also West Coast
Old 12-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Boohoo. Just because an event isn't in your back yard you can't attend? Last year I drove 18 hours to one event and 12 hours to another. My friend from Jersey flew out to both events.

I might do pro lines event but axialfest doesn't do anything for me. I can only see so many of the same rig before I want to kick puppies.

Traxxas event? Holy crap that word be fun to walk around watching. A whole event of noobies driving into everything in the area at 20mph.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Boohoo. Just because an event isn't in your back yard you can't attend? Last year I drove 18 hours to one event and 12 hours to another. My friend from Jersey flew out to both events.

I might do pro lines event but axialfest doesn't do anything for me. I can only see so many of the same rig before I want to kick puppies.

Traxxas event? Holy crap that word be fun to walk around watching. A whole event of noobies driving into everything in the area at 20mph.
"I won't drive 2 hours to play on rock that sucks so why would I cross the country for it?"

You literally just saud that in this thread

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ah, ferchrissakes...

Traxxas-sponsored, not Traxxas-exclusive chassis.

That would be completely pointless, and wouldn't pull enough people to make it worthwhile for Traxxas to have the event.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
"I won't drive 2 hours to play on rock that sucks so why would I cross the country for it?"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Presumably the rocks wouldn't suck.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
The BEST COAST......Oh , and i went there ...lol
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I think you’re missing my point. I’m not necessarily opposed to making a trip, but it would be cool to have some events closer to home, that’s all.

As far as a Traxxas event and newbs driving into ankles and everything else? Everyone has to start somewhere. No one sprang forth from the womb Comp Crawling. That’s kind of the point of these types of events - to get people interested in the hobby and provide enough different terrain and challenges to allow newbs to progress and more seasoned drivers to challenge themselves.

At the end of the day, we’re driving toy trucks around so....
Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Presumably the rocks wouldn't suck.
Bingo. I'm fully willing to drive to AZ or NV if the rocks are good. Why would I drive across town to rock that is terrible?

Besides, that statement was pertaining to comp crawling which just had worlds in Australia on slick rock with no traction. I'd never go there either unless the rock was next level.

Quote:
I think you’re missing my point. I’m not necessarily opposed to making a trip, but it would be cool to have some events closer to home, that’s all.

As far as a Traxxas event and newbs driving into ankles and everything else? Everyone has to start somewhere. No one sprang forth from the womb Comp Crawling. That’s kind of the point of these types of events - to get people interested in the hobby and provide enough different terrain and challenges to allow newbs to progress and more seasoned drivers to challenge themselves.

At the end of the day, we’re driving toy trucks around so....

I'd wager to say that 80% of traxxas sales are for go fast bashers and not trx4's. Noobies with slower rigs are fine, noobies with high speed ankle height missiles are a whole 'nother level of not gonna go there for me.

I take several rigs out to events and hand them off to noobs to have fun with. I build my rigs crazy tough so they don't break at the hands of an inexperienced driver.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #60
RCC Addict

I dunno why, but I'm always nodding at what the white trash guy says....it's a funny thing.

I would do a cross-country if it was worth attending. You can always wrap a road trip into a whole vacation if'n ya got the time and $$.

I've only been to one big event - the proline one, and it was really fun. Wouldn't miss it.

Something more than 4 or 5 hundred miles? Would have to be epic.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Never fear... Tower Hobbies AxFest - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Tower Hobbies Done? NFA Fabrication General Crawlers 20 01-17-2018 11:56 PM
tower hobbies dkchance74 Newbie General 18 09-08-2014 11:33 PM
Tower Hobbies jhtoy Chit Chat 34 03-06-2012 06:28 AM
tower hobbies again rockmahala Chit Chat 6 11-29-2009 06:26 PM
Tower Hobbies plyr2k Chit Chat 16 06-09-2006 11:01 PM