Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy

Spool the front, leave the rear selectable. Once you figure out how to capitalize on it you'll never want to go back.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Well I printed out a bunch of different rc cars and figured I’d let the family pick which one they like most. And 4 of the kids picked the defender and my wife picked the bronco and said she also likes the gray defender.......so we have narrowed it down to the red and black bronco or gray defender. No one liked the red cat which is what all started this. My girls both run a slash but the boys have crawlers and when we go crawling they feel left out because they can’t go on the rocks. So dang it we have to buy another RC. I’m leaning toward the defender I think they will get a kick out of putting stuff on the rack to Carry around.
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Kit - no body, 2-speed, remote locking diffs, 12.3" wheelbase
Bronco - 2-speed, remote locking diffs, 12.3" wheelbase
Defender - 2-speed, remote locking diffs, 12.8" wheelbase
TRX-4 Sport - single speed, locked diffs, 12.3" wheelbase

Tactical - 2-speed, remote locking diffs, 12.8" wheelbase

BTW, I would also point out that the TRX4 enjoys a MUCH larger after maket parts support than the Gen8 will ever likely see.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #24

Newb question: Are there other bodies that can fit the TRX4 kit? If so, where would I find them? I am not in love with any of the bodies offered for the rtr's......
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Yota View Post
Newb question: Are there other bodies that can fit the TRX4 kit? If so, where would I find them? I am not in love with any of the bodies offered for the rtr's......
Pretty much any body with a 12.3 inch wheelbase will fit however the inner fenders may need to be trimmed, Traxxas also has optional narrow inner fenders if you don't want to trim the stock ones.

Proline, Jconcepts, Axial, and others all make bodies with the right wheelbase.

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...show=60&page=1
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Pretty much any body with a 12.3 inch wheelbase will fit however the inner fenders may need to be trimmed, Traxxas also has optional narrow inner fenders if you don't want to trim the stock ones.

Proline, Jconcepts, Axial, and others all make bodies with the right wheelbase.

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...show=60&page=1
Awesome! Thanks for the info and the link. I think the TRX4 may be the way I go then.....
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #27

If you don't like the bodies, recommend you buy the kit and then get the body you want - I did and went with the ProLine '66 Chevy. The kit has a very good manual and by the time you're done, you'll know the truck very well.
TRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

As it stands now, I own a gen8. Have it in my possession. Id say the real benefit the trx4 sport has is aftermarket. That may change if the gen8 takes off. It may not and we'll be left to modify things to our using. It would be nice if I had some bolt on knuckle weights right about now, I will say that.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Yota View Post

Basically, find a body you like and make it fit. Check ebay, also check the picture threads located in each model section here on RCC, also view youtube videos of RC Crawlers. There are literally 1/10 scale bodies all over the place just keep your eyes open and look for them as you move around the internet. The TRX4 wheelbase is adjustable from 300mm to 336mm with minor changes. For example here is my #3 TRX4 with an Axial SCX10ii Cherokee body.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-09-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I very much dislike traxxass products and like redcat so i bought my gen 8 however i dont want to be left out of the trx4 game ether so i got the trx4 extra raw builders kit and will be building it with as many aftermarket parts as posable and ill probably run a scout body on the traxass also
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr429 View Post
Well I printed out a bunch of different rc cars and figured I’d let the family pick which one they like most. And 4 of the kids picked the defender and my wife picked the bronco and said she also likes the gray defender.......so we have narrowed it down to the red and black bronco or gray defender. No one liked the red cat which is what all started this. My girls both run a slash but the boys have crawlers and when we go crawling they feel left out because they can’t go on the rocks. So dang it we have to buy another RC. I’m leaning toward the defender I think they will get a kick out of putting stuff on the rack to Carry around.
I think you all will ne happy with the trx4, it's a very good choice. We love ours, a defender and bronco. It's not fun when someone gets left out and there's no such thing as to many rc's. Good luck.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I very much dislike traxxass products and like redcat so i bought my gen 8 however i dont want to be left out of the trx4 game ether so i got the trx4 extra raw builders kit and will be building it with as many aftermarket parts as posable and ill probably run a scout body on the traxass also
I dislike traxxas in general is well but the TRX4 is their exception. It's better designed and much higher quality than what I'm used to from Traxxas.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr429 View Post
Hope I'm not too late with this reply but I just saw this thread. I have the Defender and would really recommend the Bronco (though I've never driven it) instead. The Defender's body and bumpers really hinder it's performance (the body is extremely heavy making it tip over side to side long before it reaches any other limitations and the bumpers hang very low catching on obstacles long before it reaches any other front to back limitations), the bronco doesn't appear to have either issue. I use the proline wrangler and proline C10 bodies to eliminate the first issue but am not in love with the way either looks on the truck in person and don't like that I can't use the fenders with either, I don't have recommendations for bumpers to fix the second, I frequently run without them.

Given how expensive the bronco body is, I'm likely going to buy a bronco, and either convert the defender to a monster truck or swap the links, fenders and body, and sell the defender with a barely used body and unused chassis.

Last edited by crashtestdummy; 02-13-2019 at 12:06 PM.
crashtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Defender with SSD bumpers front and rear, easy fix for approach & departure angles... (just sayin')

Sure, it has a longer wheelbase, but that can help in some situations - my crawlin' pal has the Bronco - if you stick with stock bumpers on either rig you will foul them on all sorts of obstacles.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Defender with SSD bumpers front and rear, easy fix for approach & departure angles... (just sayin')

Sure, it has a longer wheelbase, but that can help in some situations - my crawlin' pal has the Bronco - if you stick with stock bumpers on either rig you will foul them on all sorts of obstacles.

Thanks, did you trim the body to get it to fit around the rear bumper? Do you have any pics of those bumpers with other bodies? I tried the injora bumper but it doesn't fit well with even the factory body, at this point after 2 bodies and a bumper not really curing the cog and approach and departure angles on the defender without ruining the looks I don't want to spend more money on things without knowing they'll work and look good.
Is it the trailer hitch that hangs with the stock bronco? From pics the approach and departure angles seem much better on the bronco than the stock defender.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Zero trimming required, body fits perfectly over the bumpers - no pics of those bumpers with other bodies because it's a SSD Defender TRXX-4 bumper - designed specifically for it.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...212_202005.jpg

PARTS FOR TRX-4D110 Aluminum Rear Bumper for TRX4

...and yes, the trailer hitch is the first thing to touch down on the Bronco.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I have a TRX4 Defender, a TRX4 Sport and just added a Redcat Gen 8 to my collection. Since I've only had the Gen 8 for 2 weeks it's still too early to say how it compares to the TRX4 over the long haul.

One other option you can pursue with the TRX4 Defender is remove the heavy body and mount something like the Proline Rubicon body to it. That's what I've done and it really is giving the truck a new lease on life.

colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
What a bizarre statement.

I can see the Axial fanboys disliking Traxxas, but a Redcat fanboy???

Why is that bizarre all my traxxass products break in 5 min my redcats dont break they just dont axial takes a few runs to break but traxxass just smokes as soon as i touch them even if some one else runs it first and runs almost a hole pack through it as soon as i touch the controler poof smoke or snap it breaks just setting it down thats just how its been for me weather i build it or its a rtr even the traxxass wheels striped out in a few minutes maybe 1 or 2 laps.on the track so i strongly dislike traxass they make and sell junk they also make and sell some good stuff like the trx4 frame i like that

I have high hopes for the traxxass extra raw builders kit though mostly cause i get to pick and choose what i want on it and from what i have already i think im liking it but i would never buy a rtr traxxass or axial for that matter

Last edited by ferp420; 02-14-2019 at 09:08 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Real stroke of business is to lose the bumpers and slider extensions completely and put a body that doesn't suck in its place. The defender looks nice but simply cannot climb a whole lot without 4lbs of brass on the axles to try counter acting that huge body as it tries to go rubber side up on even slight off camber climbs or from the sliders & bumpers from stopping it dead in its tracks.

Build it light, keep the bumpers & sliders tight, build it right.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Real stroke of business is to lose the bumpers and slider extensions completely and put a body that doesn't suck in its place. The defender looks nice but simply cannot climb a whole lot without 4lbs of brass on the axles to try counter acting that huge body as it tries to go rubber side up on even slight off camber climbs or from the sliders & bumpers from stopping it dead in its tracks.

Build it light, keep the bumpers & sliders tight, build it right.
Yep,that's why I suggested the bronco over the defender. The defender body looks great on the shelf but really holds it back on the trail. The Rubicon body works well on the trail but (compared to the bronco body) doesn't look that good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM