Notices

Thread: Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Why is that bizarre all my traxxass products break in 5 min my redcats dont break they just dont axial takes a few runs to break but traxxass just smokes as soon as i touch them even if some one else runs it first and runs almost a hole pack through it as soon as i touch the controler poof smoke or snap it breaks just setting it down thats just how its been for me weather i build it or its a rtr even the traxxass wheels striped out in a few minutes maybe 1 or 2 laps.on the track so i strongly dislike traxass they make and sell junk they also make and sell some good stuff like the trx4 frame i like that

I have high hopes for the traxxass extra raw builders kit though mostly cause i get to pick and choose what i want on it and from what i have already i think im liking it but i would never buy a rtr traxxass or axial for that matter
So you slate traxxas as a whole as they allegedly break after the first use, and in the same breath you say you have high hopes for the kit ? PMSL have you actually ever used a traxxas model ? I certainly don't believe you have one
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

The Gen 8 seems like a sweet truck, especially for $170 for the kit. I don't know if its TRX4 level but traxxas doesn't make a builders kit for whatever reason.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
The Gen 8 seems like a sweet truck, especially for $170 for the kit. I don't know if its TRX4 level but traxxas doesn't make a builders kit for whatever reason.
Traxxas does make a TRX-4 kit. The only downfall is that it comes with electronics.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/trx-4-kit
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Traxxas does make a TRX-4 kit. The only downfall is that it comes with electronics.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/trx-4-kit
Thats what I mean. If I could get the kit for $225 or something, with just the locker servos, and then throw in the HH Puller Pro I just bought in it, I would probably snag one.

Instead I've been looking at used ones on Craigslist and people are asking new prices or more since they put some $30 bumpers on it and a nifty looking roof basket.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

So I got a chance to take both the red cat and the defender out together with the kids....... I was shocked at how well the redcat did. The defender was ok but the gen8 went up everything I tried. Some of the stuff my bomber wouldn’t go up. The defender has the Hobbywing esc with Pitbull growlers on some beadlocks. The gen8 is all stock other then I put the stock TRX4 tires on some black beadlocks. I am very impressed with the redcat. My sons scx10 (has a Hobbywing and Holmes 21T Motor with RC4WD tires on beadlocks) did as good as the defender but no where near what the Redcat did. I think the defenders issue is the heavy body it is just so too heavy. The redcat definitely needs a better steering servo and might be a good idea to try a 3s for a little wheel speed if you need it. Just figured I’d share.
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Thats what I mean. If I could get the kit for $225 or something, with just the locker servos, and then throw in the HH Puller Pro I just bought in it, I would probably snag one.

Instead I've been looking at used ones on Craigslist and people are asking new prices or more since they put some $30 bumpers on it and a nifty looking roof basket.
Looks like we're getting a TRX-4 Sport kit without electronics!

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tra82010-4.htm
Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Looks like we're getting a TRX-4 Sport kit without electronics!

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tra82010-4.htm

Says 'out of stock' so I put my email in for a notice when it arrives. Maybe just not quite out yet?

So I'm looking at the GEN8 kit for $170, or the TRX4 Sport kit for $280. Consensus is the TRX is that much better?

How hard is it to make the TRX sport a 12.9 WB? I want to use the new Proline FJ body - it's the longer WB.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #48
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Says 'out of stock' so I put my email in for a notice when it arrives. Maybe just not quite out yet?

So I'm looking at the GEN8 kit for $170, or the TRX4 Sport kit for $280. Consensus is the TRX is that much better?

How hard is it to make the TRX sport a 12.9 WB? I want to use the new Proline FJ body - it's the longer WB.

The FJ is 12.8” iirc and traxxas has a handy kit to convert it quite easily

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra8057/p770892
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #49

Quote:

It says out of stock because they sold out. I ordered my Sport Kit from RPP and it should be delivered this week.

Yes, by almost all accounts the TRX-4 is worth the price premium over the Redcat. If you want to research that checkout people on this forum like soze and svt923 that own both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
The FJ is 12.8” iirc and traxxas has a handy kit to convert it quite easily

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra8057/p770892
Wow $20 for that kit is a steal! Nice find!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #50
RCC Addict

RC Super has them....ORDERED.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

The Gen8 kit comes pre-assembled without body.

The TRX4 Sport kit comes with body and accessories, while being unassembled.

TRX4 Sport kit for sure. If you don't like body & accessories, you could always sell them off, and the rest of the chassis is solid. Also doesn't have some of the annoying design issues that the RedCat has.

Don't get me wrong though, the Gen8 is still a decent runner, but I'd pick up the TRX4 sport kit over the Gen8. Pick up a Gen8 if you want variety and you've already got the TRX4 in sport form.

Quote:
RC Super has them....ORDERED.
Nice!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #52

I have all three and love all three. They are all great and are all upgradable. My favorite one depends on what I am doing and what mood I am in!
thecookiethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
So you slate traxxas as a whole as they allegedly break after the first use, and in the same breath you say you have high hopes for the kit ? PMSL have you actually ever used a traxxas model ? I certainly don't believe you have one
traxxasssssasss electrinics are junk
the kit is nice cause you pick your parts

personaly i started with the frame about the only part of the trx4 i like toss some ar44s under it and a wraith 2 speed trans you cant go wrong

or ar60s just sayin
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #54

Definitely trx4. Toppled with ur own choice of electronics, nothing can beat it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by yp.sebastian; 09-04-2019 at 07:16 AM.
yp.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:06 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

As much as I don't care for traxxassssss. I would suggest it over the Gen8. Better plastic then what the cat has. But I would do a hard pass on both trucks.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Trx4 all day, every day and twice on Saturday.

Trx4 is a rock solid rig other than electronics but that's the same as all of the rtrs.
that is very true though

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Crawler craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #57

I've got a pair of TRX4s... Sport and Defender. Love 'em. Fun rigs for sure. I've heard good things about the Gen8. If you've got a local shop for parts (not that you'll need 'em) I'd throw in with what they've got available. If they've got both... I'd buy TRX4s.
falcon_az is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM