Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy

Hey guys I’m looking for a new crawler for my daughter and was wondering if we should wait for the Gen 8 to be in stock or if you think the TRX4 would be better. I like the $300 price of the red cat but if the TRX4 is that much better $150 isn’t going to kill me. Just thought I’d get your opinion on the 2. I like the idea of having the 2 speed and locking diffs but do you really use them that much?
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy

The gen8 has some neat features but TRX4 is a better truck all around. Electronics are it’s weak point but the electronics in the red cat aren’t great either.

I’d go for the bronco or defender if your budget allows or consider a trx4 sport and maybe put that extra money towards a Hobbywing 1080 and a new servo. Either way it’s a great truck and mechanically will stand the test of time.

The two speed and the locking diffs are a lot of fun. The sport is a very capable truck out of the box too.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Trx4 all day, every day and twice on Saturday.

Trx4 is a rock solid rig other than electronics but that's the same as all of the rtrs.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Hi,

If you choose these 2 cars for portal axles, why don't you look at the mst cfx-w ?
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If you want to enjoy the fun of open diff then TRX4
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I don't use the 2 speed much. However, it's quite fun when you come across some loose gravel, dirt, or sand... donuts for days! Also if you need some wheel spin it's nice to be able to have that feature.

Locking diffs... I absolutely utilize that feature almost every time I have my TRX's on the rocks or on tougher trails/ obstacles.

This may not be a factor here at all but it's a lot of fun to add scale accessories to rigs as well... maybe something that would interest your daughter. Obviously you can outfit any rig with accessories but with the TRX4 the possibilities are endless. I wonder, say if you were to get a Defender ( since it has a cargo rack)... if she might like picking out some things to kind of "personalize" the vehicle. Would be cool if that was of interest to her and then you could have some additional fun installing the upgrades, parts, accessories, etc.

Hope that y'all have fun regardless what you choose!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The Trx-4 is a great rig. I absolutely love mine! The Gen 8 looks like it's going to be an awesome truck. I would wait till you can see some guys put some time on them before buying one tho. Trx has been tried and true and Can research to see what issues they have had. Not all that many. Servo and ESC are really the only big issues I've seen. With the brand new Gen 8 there's no telling what you might run into. As for locking diffs and 2 speed trans. I really like having those options. I have had allot of fun being able to use that stuff. First upgrades for it on a budget would be a hobby wing 1080 ESC and a power HD 20k steering servo. Good luck in your decision! Look forward to seeing what you decide!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys I guess I’ll have to take a closer look at the TRX4. If I do buy one I don’t think I’ll go with the sport. I’d rather have the extra features. I had my mind set on a gen 8 but after hearing that everyone thinks the trx4 is a better rig I’ll have to look at it more. They just seem so top heavy and didn’t know how easy it would be for her to learn on.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #9

You can get your daughter the TRX-4 Sport and that's only $40 more than the Redcat. It doesn't come with remote, locking diffs or two-speed though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr429 View Post
Thanks guys I guess I’ll have to take a closer look at the TRX4. If I do buy one I don’t think I’ll go with the sport. I’d rather have the extra features. I had my mind set on a gen 8 but after hearing that everyone thinks the trx4 is a better rig I’ll have to look at it more. They just seem so top heavy and didn’t know how easy it would be for her to learn on.
Could always switch bodies or buy some brass for some axle weight to counter the top heavy body. Lower battery tray makes a difference as well. We're a pretty tight family down in the Trx section. Come on down and join the fun! We'll help you out!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You can get your daughter the TRX-4 Sport and that's only $40 more than the Redcat. It doesn't come with remote, locking diffs or two-speed though.

Yup, it is important to note that the Sport lacks those two features that really set the TRX4 apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the sport doesn't come with remote?
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
the sport doesn't come with remote?
It comes with a transmitter, but you can't lock and unlock the diffs remotely (meaning from a distance via the transmitter).
Old 01-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It comes with a transmitter, but you can't lock and unlock the diffs remotely (meaning from a distance via the transmitter).
oh yeah, knew that. I just thought i somehow missed the sport was like the bind and drive models without a transmitter. Punctuation got me.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
oh yeah, knew that. I just thought i somehow missed the sport was like the bind and drive models without a transmitter. Punctuation got me.
Commas between adjectives, but I see how it could be confusing in this case!
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I love my bronco and it’s not nearly as top heavy as the land rovers. It’s actually not even noticeably top heavy. It’s a great truck and the locking diffs make trail running lots of fun. So does the 2 speed.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Ok if I do go with a TRX is there a difference between all of them other then the body. I thought about buying the kit and finding a body for it. But didn’t know if everything was the same.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Biggest difference is the Land Rover is a 12.8” wheelbase and the inner fenders are attached to the body. The bronco and the kit the fenders are attached to the chassis and integrated to the shock towers and it’s a more common 12.3” wheelbase. The bronco also has a front tray that can be used for a small battery or electronics.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 01-08-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr429 View Post
Ok if I do go with a TRX is there a difference between all of them other then the body. I thought about buying the kit and finding a body for it. But didn’t know if everything was the same.
Kit - no body, 2-speed, remote locking diffs, 12.3" wheelbase
Bronco - 2-speed, remote locking diffs, 12.3" wheelbase
Defender - 2-speed, remote locking diffs, 12.8" wheelbase
TRX-4 Sport - single speed, locked diffs, 12.3" wheelbase
Old 01-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Me and my 2 sons started out with Redcat Everest 10's. We now have 12 RC's between us, including SCX10, SCX10.2, TRX4 Kit and TRX4 Sport.

I was impressed with the Redcat build quality, IMO, on par with SCX10 and better than SCX10.2 (flimsy plastic). Having said that, I would recommend the TRX4 Sport over any of them, easily. I only use the 2-speed & unlocking the front axle only because it's there. I'd not miss it at all if it wasn't, and in fact have the Single Speed conversion and replacement spool for the rear axle to eliminate those features on hand. Are those features neat to play with, yea, are they *needed*, nope, not at all.

For a kid, getting exposed to an RC and learning to drive it (unless just zipping around bashing), I think they could lead to confusion and/or frustration. I'd just get her a TRX4 Sport and let her have a great time without trying to understand when the different switches need flipped, if she even used them at all.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 8 or TRX4 which one to buy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM