Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HPI Venture SBK Scale Builders Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: HPI Venture SBK Scale Builders Kit

Well I guess the Trx 4 fans (Nno offense intended), will tell you how good they drive, but all the extra diff locking and all just adds to many complications for me. Everything is fine until it breaks. I dont even run 2 speed except on my Twin Hammers and that's only because it came with it.

I think the Venture, just got overlooked as it came out after a long wait and the TRX4 was the new kid on the block. Owners and reviews all say how good it drives and a kit was the best option for me as I can add what I want without ending up with a pile of parts if I had bought a RTR.

I'm hoping it's at least as good as my Ascenders. I won't ever part with them as they are just so good.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Well I guess the Trx 4 fans (Nno offense intended), will tell you how good they drive, but all the extra diff locking and all just adds to many complications for me. Everything is fine until it breaks. I dont even run 2 speed except on my Twin Hammers and that's only because it came with it.

I think the Venture, just got overlooked as it came out after a long wait and the TRX4 was the new kid on the block. Owners and reviews all say how good it drives and a kit was the best option for me as I can add what I want without ending up with a pile of parts if I had bought a RTR.

I'm hoping it's at least as good as my Ascenders. I won't ever part with them as they are just so good.
I do wish there was more of a builder kit for the TRX4 that got the price down lower.

The two speed tranmission is one thing, however, the lockers don't seem like as big of a deal. Sure, if a servo fails then it wont function, but it doesn't render the truck useless either.

Last edited by mass-hole; 02-21-2019 at 12:04 PM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Not that they are in the same price range, but how does this truck compare to the TRX4 "kit"? portal axles, 2 speed, and remote lockers aside

Its tough being a noob in this arena because it seems like a lot of these trucks have the same features, so knowing which offers an advantage can be hard to work out over the interwebz.
The only people I've seen hate the TRX-4 also hate Traxxas. Overlook those people. There's a reason the TRX-4 is taking over the market - it's awesome.

Do you want all-out performance or do you want more scale driving on tamer trails? Out of the box the HPI will be the better performance, but the TRX-4's 2-speed and remote locking diffs add an element of fun that no other truck has matched. And the TRX-4 is surprisingly capable even with unlocked diffs. But, the Venture is going to out crawl a stock TRX-4. With a smaller body (like the Sport) you will really improve performance and then each truck would have its pros and cons as a performance rig.

The TRX-4 is always going to have the bigger aftermarket even if HPI didn't screw up the release of the Venture.

Get the truck you like. I know you'll enjoy either one.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #24

Redcat reduced the price of their chassis - from $199.99 to $169.99. I guess a dose of reality slapped them in the face!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Where are you seeing that price at Jato?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Where are you seeing that price at Jato?
It's on their website.

GEN8-PACK| Redcat Racing
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #27
RCC Addict

They had a Facebook post as well. I really like that they’re listening to what their customers are telling them.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
They had a Facebook post as well. I really like that they’re listening to what their customers are telling them.
That does seem to be the case which is a huge step, IMO, to redirect the path of Redcat to success.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #29
RCC Addict

I think if you've got some spare parts sitting around $169 is a heck of a deal for that. If I didn't have stuff I need to complete I'd pick one up.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

At the end of the day it's still a Redcat I had to come home and work on my Axial just to try and get the smell of Redcat off my hands

Although I don't have one I feel the Venture is the better then the Redcat. I tried one out at the LHS and wasn't impressed by it.

I have the feeling once the SBK is out there is going to be more upgrades from other companies coming. Seems like lots are waiting and others are going to take notice
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
At the end of the day it's still a Redcat I had to come home and work on my Axial just to try and get the smell of Redcat off my hands

Although I don't have one I feel the Venture is the better then the Redcat. I tried one out at the LHS and wasn't impressed by it.

I have the feeling once the SBK is out there is going to be more upgrades from other companies coming. Seems like lots are waiting and others are going to take notice
I'll remember that, someday when we get to do a trail run and you wanna run my stinky Redcat LMAO

Last edited by kincer; 02-22-2019 at 09:38 AM.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Between the 2 kits, I'll take the Venture over the Redcat any day. The Redcat does pack value for the price with the RTR (especially with coupon discounts), but I can't see why I would want the kit.

There are a few design choices on the Redcat that just prevent this from being one of my favorites. I'm actually not as bothered by the hump (yet) as much as I am bothered by the way the whole front-end of the chassis is setup. The front-bumper bracket and steering servo mount just sucks. I wish I had a 3D printer just so I can go design something to replace it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I'll remember that, someday when we get to do a trail run and you wanna run my stinky Redcat LMAO
Maybe someday I don't know I will have to think about

Don't worry I will have a winch on my Venture to pull you along

I have been gathering parts for a Venture. Just waiting for the kit to be released
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I emailed Amian to see if they had an updated ETA and they responded saying they didn't know, Bummer... but really the last thing I need right now is a new truck (I did order the SBK though) as I'm currently pretty deep into another project but I cant help but to keep checking into it.

Three trucks in 3 months isn't too much is it? I mean I can stop at any time
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I emailed Amian to see if they had an updated ETA and they responded saying they didn't know, Bummer... but really the last thing I need right now is a new truck (I did order the SBK though) as I'm currently pretty deep into another project but I cant help but to keep checking into it.

Three trucks in 3 months isn't too much is it? I mean I can stop at any time
Um... yeah... I'm right there with you! LOL.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Got an email yesterday to say mine is dispatched. Unusual for UK to get something before USA as the market here is so much smalller.

As for the TRX4 and Redcat Gen 8. I don't have a particular dislike, but the TRX4 comes with electrics I don't want, is still a highish price, and is a 'slider' more than a kit, and the Gen8 is a bit new and i'm tending to prefer something that has history as Redcat stuff seems hard to find in the UK.

Last edited by M1tch; 02-25-2019 at 11:29 PM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I just noticed that Red Cat's preassembled chassis kit, which is an odd choice, is also $200. Red Cat must be crazy pricing their chassis the same as Axial and HPI!

It was announced for € 270 (305 US$) here in Europe, which has now been lowered to € 250 (285 US$), still a bummer:
https://www.absima.shop/pp/modellaut...=19053&p=19053

No one will buy it for this price, especially because we do also have the (very, very good) Reely Freemen here in Europe, which sells as RTR for (170 special offer) - 199 € and is also announced to be released as Reely Freemen Kit for 170 € (192 US$).

No one will probably ever buy the RedCat stuff here in EU (because of the price).

Anyway, I still love the HPI Venture Scale Builders Kit most of all of those options and will probably wait for a "10% off day" to buy it for about ca. € 240 (270 US$).

Still do not get, why Horizon (Traxxas, Vaterra, Eflite, Blade, Spektrum, ECX, etc.) can sell their products for "ok prices" here in Europe, while for Redcat, HPI, RC4WD etc. products European customers have to pay 50 % more than US Customers.

Something to do with the 20% import duties now, resulting from this Trump - EU econmoy fight? Maybe Horizon is someway also a "EU company" and therefore the Horizon products are not charged those 20%?

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline   Reply With Quote

HPI Venture SBK Scale Builders Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit 4RunnerKid HPI Venture 155 08-05-2021 03:23 AM
Open for Pre-Order the NEW HPI Racing Scale Builders Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-11-2018 11:43 AM