Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawler choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

Default Crawler choice?

If you had to pic, which of these two would you choose? These two only. The Acender Bronco (they're still out there) or the Carisma F150. Thanks.
Ranch Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Crawler choice?

Vaterra Ascender Bronco, a million times over...

It's a great rig outta the box, plus there's aftermarket support - unlike the Carisma.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

At one point in the past I owned both a Vaterra Ascender and a Carisma Coyote, so I'm familiar with both platforms. I do understand that the F 150 is not exactly the same as the Coyote since they've made some changes and improvements. Between the two, I drove the Ascender more.

I really liked the shocks on the Carisma and after I replaced the motor with a 55T it drove a lot better for crawling. In the end I got rid of it because of the lack of aftermarket support and the fear of stock parts possibly becoming scarce. I also wasn't that happy with the turning radius.

I eventually got rid of the Ascender because I just didn't like how it looked when the torque twist kicked in. I scoured the forums and tried a few of the cheap and easy solutions, but never got it to the point I liked. Outside of that, it seemed well built and well supported. It's what I would choose between these 2 options.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yall are gettin off wat he asked. Hes got 2 he wants to choose from. Id go for the vaterra if it were me. They have aftermarket parts where as i have yet to see for carisma. I lke the look of the f150, but its a bit high for wat it is. JMHO

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
wyd
Rock Crawler

I have both and although I didn't get to trail the Carisma yet I will say the Aacender has a much better turning radius.I like my AScender and do't see myself selling it but I wanted a 2nd crawler and bang for the dollar it was hard to pass up the kit version of the Coyote.

Last edited by wyd; 01-20-2019 at 07:05 PM.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I chose the Ascender. It’s my first RC crawler, and I’m still feeling it out, but I’m enjoying it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Whut is a 'charisma'? Dear god... LOL
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ascender with the Carisma F-150 body for the win!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:30 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The Carisma F-150 body is nearly $100 by itself... (ouch!)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Well...I think I get around pretty well on this stuff, but I've never even heard of 'carisma' till today. That is a cool body (for a ford lol) I even had one of those back in the day. Is it lexan or styrene?

And what is a 'lynx'? Looks like a jeep or mbz g-wagon or something. Some Chinese stuff??? Man they got every kind of body there in one place - but no 'charisma ford f150'. LOL

I still like the vaterra chassis...but there are lots of trx fans. My buddy's scx10ii honcho munched the gearbox this weekend. Hmmm...
But my basically stock Axial Blazer crawls as well as any of them...with the smaller rockbeast tires. Amazing. Even with the big square body.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #11

Go with the Ascender or checkout the TRX-4.

If you insist on getting the Carisma I'd at least checkout the MST CFX and CMX. They are great trucks and not budget "toys" like the Carisma appear to be.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Carisma has been around for a while, but relatively recently entered the crawling niche... Although their VW Bug body was very sought after for certain builds. The F-150 body is lexan, but comes with a lot of molded detail parts that caused them to increase the price. It's similar to the situation of the Traxxas Bronco body costing so much because of the extra bits...
Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #13
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Go with the Ascender or checkout the TRX-4.

If you insist on getting the Carisma I'd at least checkout the MST CFX and CMX. They are great trucks and not budget "toys" like the Carisma appear to be.
Bang for the money the Carisma is a great deal for those on a tight budget or just want nice trail crawler. Parts are pretty easy to get from HRP distribution. HRP is one of the larger distibutors that many hobby shops order from. PRicing on the parts are more than reasonable to. The RTR is pretty nice overall again especially if your on a tight budget it's excellent bang for the money. Our local shop sells a lot of of them and they are virtually trouble free. They sell a lot of TRX4's and those are pretty nice but they do suffer from a lot of servo failures.

If your on a tight budget don't be afraid to buy a Carisma Coyote or the new F150. I just built a new Coyote Kit and will say the packaging is as good as any kit I ever built in 33 years of racing R/C. I built a ton of different kits over that time frame. Each parts bag is setup for each step of the directions. I built a $400 Kyosho RB7 and it wasn't even close with the parts bag to the directions as I had to look for everything.

Last edited by wyd; 01-23-2019 at 11:38 AM.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler choice? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire choice for my first 2.2 crawler. Tom94offroaduk Newbie General 13 12-29-2010 12:25 PM
Crawler King was it the correct choice? norbyx HPI Wheely King 9 02-24-2010 09:05 PM
Another choice of brushless outrunner for crawler ? kaho0338 Electronics 0 06-19-2008 10:17 PM
My First Crawler..Did I make the Right Choice... locktite Newbie General 7 01-17-2007 12:03 PM
Motor choice for TLT Crawler BALISTC Newbie General 4 02-06-2006 03:02 PM