RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Local hardware (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/606300-local-hardware.html)

Topher Builds 02-11-2019 09:53 AM

Local hardware

I’m wondering if I’m missing places to look, but I’ve been having a hard time chasing down necessary hardware anywhere local out here and as I type my trx4 rear axle is in pieces because I have to wait a few days for a $3 pack of 6mm ID shims to get mailed to me.

So my question to you all, other than a hobby shop, have you been able to find hardware for your rigs anywhere else?

I say other than a hobby shop because the two I have out here didn’t stock the shims I need and usually finding hex screws and shims there is a challenge because they stock them by manufacturer part number instead of metric specifications. I can get a bag of Losi shims but not know exactly what’s in there.

I checked Lowe’s and Home Depot as well and had a hard time finding metric options, let alone M3 options.

My new plan now is just to order and have a bunch of everything on hand and hope I have what I need here when the time comes, but a local option where I can grab stuff same day would be rad.

rkj__ 02-11-2019 09:59 AM

Re: Local hardware

Good question. I've also wondered if there might be any surprising sources for the tiny hardware on a crawler.

Greatscott 02-11-2019 10:05 AM

I can speak from experience, don't my your hardware from Ace, it is very expensive junk. I bought some stainless 5mm bolts and nylocks for my current project and three of the six sets galled on removal and had to be cut off.

JatoTheRipper 02-11-2019 10:15 AM

I go to my local Ace hardware. They have the best hardware selection from what I've found, but even they don't carry the really small stuff.

I disagree with Greatscott about the quality. The hardware I've gotten from Ace has been fine.

Jim85IROC 02-11-2019 10:38 AM

The only place I've found locally that sells anything below M4 metric hardware is Fastenal. They have a lot of M3 hex hardware. I think that I bought some M2.5 or M2 stuff from them in the past, but I've since smartened up and bought some bulk multi-packs of M2 through M4 hex hardware in pan head, button head and countersunk varieties, along with a boatload of nuts, washers & shims. Now I have an abundance of anything I'll ever need when working on my RCs, and as I start running low of any particular size, I order more before I run out. Speaking of which, I need some more M3x12mm button head screws.

MAC FAB 02-11-2019 10:45 AM

Seen these? A quick search.....

Page Industrial Supply Fasteners Anchor Bolts Las Vegas Nevada
No reviews · Fastener supplier
2901 S Highland Dr #4G · (702) 250-6566
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM
Purveyor of heavy-duty nuts & bolts
Fasteners Inc Southwestern Supply
4.5 (49) · Hardware store
4170 W Harmon Ave #4 · (702) 873-4332
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM
Enormous hardware & power tool store
Fastening Systems
3401 W Sirius Ave # 21 · (702) 251-5474

Joshs4x4toyz 02-11-2019 10:48 AM

I have a Fastenal and Tacoma screw where I live. Tacoma Screw is like McMaster and has everything I ever need both RC and 1:1. I get a business discount but even without it its cheaper than McMaster not even adding in shipping. Good selection and quality grade, I would look for something like that near you.

mewalsh100 02-11-2019 10:48 AM

My Local Ace Hardware has also been good in a pinch. I think they're franchised though, so I can't speak for them in general. Mine has a pretty good supply of small, stainless metric hardware, washers, etc. It's saved me waiting and bailed me out on more than once occasion.

Topher Builds 02-11-2019 11:00 AM

Looks like there’s a Fastenal about 7 miles away. I’ll have to check that out and an ACE

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC FAB (Post 5909450)
Seen these? A quick search.....

Page Industrial Supply Fasteners Anchor Bolts Las Vegas Nevada
2901 S Highland Dr #4G · (702) 250-6566
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM
Purveyor of heavy-duty nuts & bolts
Fasteners Inc Southwestern Supply
4.5 (49) · Hardware store
4170 W Harmon Ave #4 · (702) 873-4332
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM
Enormous hardware & power tool store
Fastening Systems
3401 W Sirius Ave # 21 · (702) 251-5474

Awesome! I didn’t even think of to search for a fastener supplier. And I have to reach out to a purveyor of heavy duty nuts and bolts, I mean come on. Thanks for the leg work!

M1tch 02-11-2019 12:15 PM

Ebay. I have a few sellers saved and buy from them. Usually marine grade stainless steel. Threaded rod, hex head, button, or countersunk.

Col_Sanders 02-13-2019 09:05 AM

As far as hardware is concerned, just pony up the cash for one of the huge KNK or Screw Loose kits and you'll have darn near any M3 screw you will need for RC. Screw Loose will even sell them in a hard case already separated into labeled bins.

Topher Builds 02-13-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col_Sanders (Post 5910038)
Screw Loose will even sell them in a hard case already separated into labeled bins.

I like that! I’ll check it out. Thank you

Brian5582 02-19-2019 07:59 AM

Amazon has tons of stainless screw kits. I spent about $100 on a S ton of 2-4mm screws and Nylock nuts. Different head styles, grub screws... I must have gotten upwards of 3000 pieces for about 100 bucks shipped.

JatoTheRipper 02-19-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian5582 (Post 5911466)
Amazon has tons of stainless screw kits. I spent about $100 on a S ton of 2-4mm screws and Nylock nuts. Different head styles, grub screws... I must have gotten upwards of 3000 pieces for about 100 bucks shipped.

You wanna be very careful when buying anything from Amazon, especially something like hardware. There's a massive amount of counterfeit hardware in the world and Amazon is known for selling Chinese clones of things. Honestly, Amazon is the last place I'd ever buy hardware.

Arctic Cat ZRT 02-19-2019 10:57 AM

At work we have an account with McMaster and I order all kinds of odds and ends for my RC stuff. From specialty raw material, wire, hardware, mini hinges, etc. Granted I am lucky that my work allows me to do so and I have access to it. At the end they just deduct my paycheck for my orders.

Mike Flea 02-19-2019 05:29 PM

https://www.mcmaster.com/