Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Are Redcat Gen 7 or 8 axles any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Are Redcat Gen 7 or 8 axles any good?

Looking at doing a muy el cheapo build, axles seem to be the biggest expense. Do these suck or are they ok for 4-3/4" tall tires with plastic wheels? Is one version better than the other or are they the same?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Are Redcat Gen 7 or 8 axles any good?

Oh they're different. Gen 8 axles are portal axles for better clearance at the pumpkin, but unless taken into account, they can make for a truck that spends more time on it's roof than it's wheels.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #3

Default Re: Are Redcat Gen 7 or 8 axles any good?

The Gen7 axles are decent for a low-budget build. They're the same axles that are under the E10, the Remo 1073 & 1093, the RGT Rock Hammer and some others. The base version of the axles has plastic spools that strip, and dogbones in the front that seriously limit steering angle. The Gen7 Pro version has aluminum spools, and replaces the dogbones with CV axles that improve steering angle. The earliest version of the axles also had knuckles & steering links that needed some modification to improve steering angle, but the later ones come with high-steer knuckles and curved steering links that don't need any modification.

The Gen8 is a completely different axle design. As DRTMI mentioned, they're a portal design, and they're designed to be used in a 3 link configuration with a chassis mounted servo. There are some guys with the portals in the Gen7 that converted them to a 4 link with the servo on the axle. In the Gen8 that can't be done because the servo would hit the motor. The portal axles seem to be pretty robust, though I am seeing some guys breaking the upper portal gear right at the axle pin. I have 2 sets and haven't broken them yet, but I don't Kevin-Talbot my trucks. Yes, that's a verb now.

For $100, I think the portal kit is a great deal. If you want a slightly cheaper, and more likely stronger option, you can get the all-metal SCX10-style front & rear axles on Ebay. I'd definitely grab those over a set of the Gen7 axles unless you got the Gen7 Pro axles dirt cheap. I'd skip the Gen7 Sport axles entirely unless they were free, because right away you're going to need to spend $40-50 on a pair of lockers and a set of CV axles for them.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Are Redcat Gen 7 or 8 axles any good? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 Cincygoon65 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 23 07-27-2019 09:35 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
Redcat Everest Gen 7 Pro - Portal Axles cjhike Videos! 0 11-18-2018 07:10 PM
Redcat gen 7 doing it up! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-26-2018 07:13 AM
Redcat Gen 7 Chilli39 Redcat Crawlers 24 01-05-2018 04:32 AM