Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobbies TorqueMasterBrushed 21T in Axial RR10 Bomber...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #1

Default Holmes Hobbies TorqueMasterBrushed 21T in Axial RR10 Bomber...

Just bought an Axial RR10 Bomber for running on Trails, Riverbeds, Gulleys... Rock Climbing... ect.. -General Woods bashing/climing... And I'm looking to hear from people running the Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster brushless motors.

Im ripping out the electronics from the RTR and bought a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Pro 21T Motor, Hobbywing Quickrun 1080 esc, Savox 1230sq 500oz Servo & Castle 10amp bec.

Was on the fence about going with a brushless Castle MMX Crawler Combo... but then I intend to run this Bomber as a Trail truck... Rock Crawler so I don't need it to go 50MPH. I have a brushless SLash for that. After watching videos an reading reviews about the Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster motors and QR1080 esc, it looks smooth w/ tons of Torque for crawling and plenty of speed for zipping around back woods trails and river gulleys.

Anyhow... looking for input from people who are running the HH TM motor in general on an Axial platform to give me some validation that I made the right choice and to see what Im in for... thanks!
jpt145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holmes Hobbies TorqueMasterBrushed 21T in Axial RR10 Bomber...

Its a good motor, and thats a good esc. However your premise that brushless motors are only for going 50mph is dead wrong. Gear reduction converts speed to torque in crawlers, torque keeps the motor from bogging down in the rocks then launching over the top. Torque makes it smoother.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I put a Castle Mamba X in my trail truck because it's a trail truck and having an on the fly adjustable drag brake makes so much difference. The aux wire allowing the drag brake to be adjustable on the fly on a 3rd channel makes it awesome for trailing. One minute it's a crawler with 100% drag then at the turn of a dial is down to 10% or whatever % is good for that section of trail. Paired with a HH Puller Pro 2400kv (lower start up rpm than the Castle slates) on 3S makes for one quite incredible low speed crawler but with wheel speed when needed. Also the fullly adjustable throttle curves on the Mamba X really help with the fine control. Anyone who sees my VS410 trail truck with this setup becomes a Brushless convert instantly...until price is mentioned anyway!

Last edited by mond; 03-09-2019 at 01:48 AM.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i could be wrong here but isent the 1080 for brushed motors the op is saying brushless motor and a quickrun1080 i dont think that set up will work a 21t brushed motor is gona be limited geared for tourque it wont have any speed geared for speed it wont have any torque and will go up in smoke in short order if you try to crawl with it i had to step up to 775 sized can motors for my brushed needs and they still sucks when compaired to a good brushless motor esc combo i thhink the esc is more important than the motor so in my opinion i would get the mamba x or the monster x and a cheap motor my mmx is so smooth sensored or sensorless i can hardly tell if the sensor is pluged in or not there that good
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have the 21t 550 can brushed trail master sport motors in a few of my rigs, this combo would work very well in a bomber for trails and crawling paired with the HW 1080wp esc and 3s. That being said, it does sound like the op bought the 540 21t torque master (which would be a custom wind as its not offered stock) which I would think would have issues with overheating in a bomber unless geared really low...and if its bushess, its the wrong esc like ferp said...

really we need clarification because there is no such critter as a 21t torque master brushless.... my bet goes with the 21t 550 can torque master expert being the motor he bought...

Last edited by allanon1965; 03-09-2019 at 08:49 AM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

He said he was considering going brushless, but bought the torquemaster pro 21t instead. He did not mention the size, so since the 550 is off the shelf it's easy to assume that was the purchase.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial bomber, brushed motor, hobbywing 1080, holmes hobbies, torque master