Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Traxxas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #21

Default Re: Traxxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
My LHS got busted by Traxxas for selling their stuff to Canada. I'm sure Hobby Fever did something like that as well and not because they were "selling too much".

And this line in particular seems very spiteful towards Traxxas. "If you own a TRAXXAS model, be prepared to buy your equipment directly from TRAXXAS as more hobby shops close."

Yes, when hobby shops close you'll have to order elsewhere. But Traxxas seems to be protecting hobby shops by ensuring fixed pricing, so they can compete with online companies, and ensuring they only sell within their territory. Not sure how that's bad for LHS.

The Arrma founder talking about the Traxxas lawsuit...that should be interesting. I'll have to watch it. I'm sure he's not biased in the matter...
Of course he's biased, but he makes some good points. He essentially said that his designers were using suspension systems that every Mechanical Engineer explores in college, and honestly, he's right. Some of the crap that Traxxas has patents for is stuff that's been around for many years and should never have had a patent granted. I don't necessarily blame Traxxas for that though, it's really a flaw in our patent process that any savvy business is going to try and benefit from.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Of course he's biased, but he makes some good points. He essentially said that his designers were using suspension systems that every Mechanical Engineer explores in college, and honestly, he's right. Some of the crap that Traxxas has patents for is stuff that's been around for many years and should never have had a patent granted. I don't necessarily blame Traxxas for that though, it's really a flaw in our patent process that any savvy business is going to try and benefit from.
Exactly. Blame the government for granting the patent instead of Traxxas.

I really need to learn more about the patents to understand how a simple changing of the cantilever arm suddenly made the Twin Hammers compliant with the Traxxas patent.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #23
RCC Addict

I think most dislike of Traxxas generally comes from racing types who don't care for them or the monster truck/bashing types who moved on from them, but I really haven't seen anyone disliking the TRX-4.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Exactly. Blame the government for granting the patent instead of Traxxas.

I really need to learn more about the patents to understand how a simple changing of the cantilever arm suddenly made the Twin Hammers compliant with the Traxxas patent.
When you conclude your findings, share what you find out! That is kind of the thing though... they are based in a patent friendly state that grant patents rightfully or not. You see a lot of software "patent trolls" in those parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I think most dislike of Traxxas generally comes from racing types who don't care for them or the monster truck/bashing types who moved on from them, but I really haven't seen anyone disliking the TRX-4.
I can see this.

Last edited by soze; 03-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #25
RCC Addict

When I was racing carpet oval I was the oddball running a Traxxas Slash 4x4 with a carbon fiber and aluminum lcg chassis, it did rather well and would've won some races with somebody else driving lol, one of the old veterans there really liked it and drove it way better than I could ever drive it.

Last edited by kincer; 03-11-2019 at 11:07 AM.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Traxxas can also be credited for breathing life into racing. When the Slash was released it created an entirely new class - the Short Course class. That class exploded and is still going today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
When you conclude your findings, share what you find out! That is kind of the thing though... they are based in a patent friendly state that grant patents rightfully or not. You see a lot of software "patent trolls" in those parts.
Will do. Just don't hold your breath because I don't know when it will happen.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
When I was racing carpet oval I was the oddball running a Traxxas Slash 4x4 with a carbon fiber and aluminum lcg chassis, it did rather well and would've won some races with somebody else driving lol, one of the old veterans there really liked it and drove it way better than I could ever drive it.
Slash's are still going strong on the carpet oval. The track I run at has a Street Stock, Bombers and 2 classes of Salvis Mudboss all based on the 2 wheel drive Slash.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
Slash's are still going strong on the carpet oval. The track I run at has a Street Stock, Bombers and 2 classes of Salvis Mudboss all based on the 2 wheel drive Slash.
It was all Losi's and Associated's when I was running but that was 5 years ago.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #29

Quote:
It was all Losi's and Associated's when I was running but that was 5 years ago.
10 years ago it was all Slash. AE and Losi took over the open SC classes now, but they were only released because the Slash was so successful. Without the Slash I highly doubt AE or Losi would have released a short course truck.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
10 years ago it was all Slash. AE and Losi took over the open SC classes now, but they were only released because the Slash was so successful. Without the Slash I highly doubt AE or Losi would have released a short course truck.
Very good point, I do have to say that my truck without that carbon fiber lcg chassis would've been severely smoked though lol
Old 03-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Nothing in this thread is going to change the Traxxas "diehard hate vs diehard love". For whatever reasons that people find important... justified or not, there will always be strong bias on both sides. They make quality rigs and parts but no manufacturer has an absolutely flawless history. Buy one if it appeals to you.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Nothing in this thread is going to change the Traxxas "diehard hate vs diehard love". For whatever reasons that people find important... justified or not, there will always be strong bias on both sides. They make quality rigs and parts but no manufacturer has an absolutely flawless history. Buy one if it appeals to you.
I agree, goes to my earlier post buy what you like, not what everyone else likes.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

At he NEORA Group Tracks, the Slash Class's Chassis must be stock other than a few changes to make them carpet happy. You are allowed to cut the front shock springs, install shock spacers to limit travel and use a LCG Chassis Plate. Different classes have specific motor , speedo and body requirements. But everything else must be as it came out of the box. All use foam tires. You can start racing for around $300 and be competitive.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
I agree, goes to my earlier post buy what you like, not what everyone else likes.
Many of us made it through the Tylenol and Firestone years unscathed. I ain't scared!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I recently added a Traxxas TRX-4 to my crawler collection. I have to say with a little weight loss therapy some great electronics wheels and tires it's a pretty bad ass crawling machine, so don't be fooled.

I'm a TRX-4 fan no question.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Some Traxxas R/Cs can also be bought at JEGS and 4 Wheel Parts.

I started with an early Rustler, when it was first released with chrome (blingy!) wheels and the ProGraphix body - not mine, but identical:

and in-between various Tamiya, Team Associated, and Team Losi vehicles I also picked up one of the first T-Maxxes in Central Texas (drove from Austin to the Woodlands, 6 hour round trip!), an E-Maxx first-gen, a Stampede and the Slash when it was released.

I did lose all my R/Cs (over a dozen...) in an apartment fire that destroyed 48 units of my complex and that sorta killed R/C for me for quite a while.

It was very gratifying for me to see Traxxas knock one outta the park with the TRX-4, but I did take my sweet time finally picking a Defender up.

Now I want another, a Sport with no electronics (not a fan of theirs, I'll freely admit) to make as light as I can and plunk the MST JP1 Scrambler-style body on.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #37
RCC Addict

IMHO, here is the genius aspect of Traxxas; that from the end users point, 10 simple ingredients make 50 menu items. You can swap parts between many models....... newbies love this. Scale, they don't care, and they are absolutely not. Parts are available everywhere, literally. I did an Israel trip a few years back and in the Valley of Meggido, there is/was a shop that sold both Traxxas cars and Commencal downhill and trail mountain bikes, go figure. AE and TLR have raised the performance bar in the product markets. Now with the TRX program and UDR being scale rigs, many dislike the brand simply out of prior prejudices instead of product merrit. Personally, I could care a less about brand X, Y, Z..... as long is there is a vehicle produced that many can enjoy and isn't a service lemon. If Redcat step their durability game up just a hair and they will be a contender for market share because of pricepoint. Lots of haters there. The other blessing about the brand, or like Axial, is the abundance of aftermarket parts from a plethera of different mfgs. That is how I evaluate what I'll call the "validity" of a brand. You can sink a few bucks into a rig or your life's savings. As a scratch builder, many Traxxas components fit my build criteria, I can hit most lhs' and hold most any given part in my hand. Lots of GTR shocks...... on Axial rigs.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

I love Traxxas personally. Have a dozen or so of their vehicles and have never had any major problems with them. They have pretty great customer service too.

Plus I really like being able to find literally ANY part I might need locally. Waiting for shipping is no biggie when you're just modding or upgrading, but when you break something early into a weekend it really blows if you can't find parts to fix it in town.
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Well that went downhill fast. LOL

I already had three Ascenders when the TRX4 Defender came out. Then the Bronco, and that goofy spy truck, and a kit for $400. I have no use for a 2-speed transmission, or selectable lockers - just give me locked diffs and a good final drive ratio for rock crawling and I'm good. The KISS principle.

Portal axles? Emmkay. They're fine, as long as they don't break. The rest of all the hoopla seemed like just that - HOOPLA.

Now a year later I find out they have a REAL crawler, the 'Sport', and now a kit for relatively cheap? Okay, I'm in then. Can't wait.
I'm good with having all three platforms - Axial, Traxxas, Vatterra, and I would pick up a new RedCat if I hadn't just dropped for the TRX kit. Try them all, have some fun, and get your kicks.

I can't wait to see what comes out from Horizon now. The new Wraith is a nice start.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Well that went downhill fast. LOL

I already had three Ascenders when the TRX4 Defender came out. Then the Bronco, and that goofy spy truck, and a kit for $400. I have no use for a 2-speed transmission, or selectable lockers - just give me locked diffs and a good final drive ratio for rock crawling and I'm good. The KISS principle.

Portal axles? Emmkay. They're fine, as long as they don't break. The rest of all the hoopla seemed like just that - HOOPLA.

Now a year later I find out they have a REAL crawler, the 'Sport', and now a kit for relatively cheap? Okay, I'm in then. Can't wait.
I'm good with having all three platforms - Axial, Traxxas, Vatterra, and I would pick up a new RedCat if I hadn't just dropped for the TRX kit. Try them all, have some fun, and get your kicks.

I can't wait to see what comes out from Horizon now. The new Wraith is a nice start.
Yup, try them all!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FREE Traxxas AC Fast Charge Adapter W/ Purchase of Select Traxxas Models! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-12-2018 04:50 PM