Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Next Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Next Project

Looking to build something. I already have 2 TRX 4's, not sure if I want another. Here's a short list I have. The prices are from a local hobby store.

Bomber kit $329
SCX10 ii Jeep Cherokee kit $329
TRX4 Bronco $399
Redcat Scout 2 $299
Wait for something else $0
neospirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Next Project

If you already have 2 TRX4s... I'd just get anything else.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Redcat and scx10.2 are Same RC class as your trx-4. The RR10 would be another Kind.

I love to switch between my scale crawler trx-4 and my little Monster (axial Yeti).

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
If you already have 2 TRX4s... I'd just get anything else.
Robs has the Bronco at $399. I was very tempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Redcat and scx10.2 are Same RC class as your trx-4. The RR10 would be another Kind.

I love to switch between my scale crawler trx-4 and my little Monster (axial Yeti).
I was thinking the same thing. I had the Bomber, but sold it because I didn't like the battery compartment and it was hard to work on. Maybe I was doing something wrong.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Originally Posted by magic_yeti

I was thinking the same thing. I had the Bomber, but sold it because I didn't like the battery compartment and it was hard to work on. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Probably weren't doing anything wrong. I have a love/hate relationship with my Wraith. Love driving it, hate having to work on it. The tube chassis, Wraith and Bomber, have everything mounted in a manner that makes getting access to any of it a pain. There are a few tricks you will learn after a while but disassembly is normal for a lot of repair/maintenance.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'd get the bomber, its the most different to your current TRX 4's

I have a bomber, and it really only takes a minute or 2 longer to take the cage off. That being said, I have removed the cage all together and gone with carbon frame rails..

There is literally limitless upgrade routes for the Bomber.

However, if you had a bomber and didn't like it, you could get the Bronco, add the lift kit, whack on some 2.2's and have a sweet lifted mudtruck. or make a monster truck....

yet if you want to build a whole kit, it looks like you only have Axial options.

I guess it all depends on what you actually want to build... Might be worth thinking about your end goal, and then picking the best suited base truck for that

Last edited by Stray; 04-22-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I do want a rock racer like the Bomber. The only other one I can think of would be the Gmade GOM.

soze, I know you have the GOM. Do you have the Bomber as well? If so, what do you think?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neospirit View Post
I do want a rock racer like the Bomber. The only other one I can think of would be the Gmade GOM.

soze, I know you have the GOM. Do you have the Bomber as well? If so, what do you think?
I have both, but I haven't had time to build the Bomber yet.

The GOM I use mostly as a crawler, so I'm not really bashing it around too much. I did buy a bunch of the upgrade parts as well as upgraded gears (which I still haven't put in yet). I also need to get around to swapping out the 4100kv SkyRC motor I'm using for a Holmes Hobbies 3500kv puller pro.

I think the GOM does great as a crawler. I actually end up using the dig more than the high gear as I'm rarely speeding around.

The one thing I think people had issues with was the Universals. The pins for them broke for some people. I think a few have used a certain Junfac part to help prevent this, and another person actually used a combination of 2 different Axial universals with Wraith knuckles, which is what I'm going to do when I get around to it.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

neospirit im kinda in the same boat.
between my son and i we have:
yeti
2 ascenders
barrage v1

my ascender is becoming less and less capable the more scale accurate i make it to my pop's old 1:1.
so i am looking at getting something VERY capable, currently considering something i haven't seen mentioned here yet:

the new axial wraith 1.9.

its just scale enough to keep me satisfied (a simple grill replacement makes it look spot-on to a caged/linked custom early bronco). and while less capable than the original 2.2 wraith (or bomber, for that fact) its now small enough to fit through some "tunnel" style obstacles and still challenging enough with smaller 1.9 tires to keep it fun.
nothing wrong with 2.2 rigs, just for me after having "tiny tire" rigs i have adapted my driving style and now large tire rigs almost make stuff too easy.

with that said, knowing you have 2 TRX4's with those large canyon trail tires, those are on the "huge" side of a 1.9 so maybe a 2.2 rig would be better for you, and a bomber could be just the rig you need.
but just consider a 1.9 wraith since nobody else has mentioned it.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Maybe my suggestion is based upon my current wants, but I have all the crawlers in the world and when I run my buddies slash 4x4 vxl, I have a blast. My vote goes toward a short course or trophy truck, 4x4 brushless to rip
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
neospirit im kinda in the same boat.
between my son and i we have:
yeti
2 ascenders
barrage v1

my ascender is becoming less and less capable the more scale accurate i make it to my pop's old 1:1.
so i am looking at getting something VERY capable, currently considering something i haven't seen mentioned here yet:

the new axial wraith 1.9.

its just scale enough to keep me satisfied (a simple grill replacement makes it look spot-on to a caged/linked custom early bronco). and while less capable than the original 2.2 wraith (or bomber, for that fact) its now small enough to fit through some "tunnel" style obstacles and still challenging enough with smaller 1.9 tires to keep it fun.
nothing wrong with 2.2 rigs, just for me after having "tiny tire" rigs i have adapted my driving style and now large tire rigs almost make stuff too easy.

with that said, knowing you have 2 TRX4's with those large canyon trail tires, those are on the "huge" side of a 1.9 so maybe a 2.2 rig would be better for you, and a bomber could be just the rig you need.
but just consider a 1.9 wraith since nobody else has mentioned it.
If the 1.9 Wraith comes in a kit, I would probably get it. For me, building a kit is more than half of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Maybe my suggestion is based upon my current wants, but I have all the crawlers in the world and when I run my buddies slash 4x4 vxl, I have a blast. My vote goes toward a short course or trophy truck, 4x4 brushless to rip
I agree the Slash 4x4 is a lot of fun. We had them, but the interest didn't last long. The Bomber, GOM and even the Wraith can do both. I jut got an email that the SCX10 II UMG is in stock now. What to do?
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It all depends on what you want and where you plan on driving. Me personally I want a variety if trucks in my collection. I'd say go for a scx or the bomber. I do believe the bomber kit is being discontinued. So if you do better grab one soon. All good trucks to have.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Question Re: Next Project

Quote:
If the 1.9 Wraith comes in a kit, I would probably get it. For me, building a kit is more than half of the fun.

I agree the Slash 4x4 is a lot of fun. We had them, but the interest didn't last long. The Bomber, GOM and even the Wraith can do both. I jut got an email that the SCX10 II UMG is in stock now. What to do?
Build your own
Seriously, grab some SSD AR44 axles (crazy cheap), skid plate for whatever, fab your own links and have a blast
The possibilities are near limitless and given you've 'done' the conventional why not look at the likes of Dravtech SuDoOne pretty good base to work from.
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Build your own
Seriously, grab some SSD AR44 axles (crazy cheap), skid plate for whatever, fab your own links and have a blast
The possibilities are near limitless and given you've 'done' the conventional why not look at the likes of Dravtech SuDoOne pretty good base to work from.
BYO to me is more like AYO (assemble your own) I have read through a lot of the threads where people fab links, body panels and modify axles. Although I think it's great, I just don't have the tools, know how or time. Maybe one day.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i have done enough customizing on my 79 ford ascender to the point i just want to buy a truck, RTR or Kit, as long as all parts go together as intended, no custom this or trim that or.... you know. too much custom is not fun.
piece by piece builds take a long(er) time. so again, neospirit, i get where you're coming from.
buy it, run it, modify where you see fit, with minimal build time/down time.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
SCXII Raw Builders Kit + ebay Wraith chassis + Part tree AXI231001 = 1.9 Wraith Builders Kit
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
SCXII Raw Builders Kit + ebay Wraith chassis + Part tree AXI231001 = 1.9 Wraith Builders Kit
I might look into that. The SCX10 II won't bolt onto the old Wraith chassis, correct?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I was just doing some research today to get my brother into the hobby. After hours of emails back and forth we agreed on a Bomber. Best of both worlds.
Then, I came across something else: Vaterra Twin Hammers RTR is on sale for 249$! There is enough money in the budget to lock the front and install a front shock conversion - almost a kit then! Win. I built one for a friend and whenever we get together I prefer to run his over my Ascender or SCX10. So much fun.

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-26 um 19.04.15.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  100.8 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Picked up my next project.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

👍

Next Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt Prime Axial SCX-10 211 01-07-2017 09:53 AM