Notices

Thread: ECX Temper gen 2...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ECX Temper gen 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
I get it and you aren't wrong but I get both sides. They want to keep the hobby alive and want people into their hobby stores to keep distributors alive and going so it entices other purchases and a community as well. That being said for people like you that it is very long distances away, it doesn't work for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

True, I did not think about that aspect of it as far as supporting local hobby shops by bringing in business into them. Good Point.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so since I could not buy one online and the closest shop is 120 miles away I did some searching. I found one that looks new minus a broken driveshaft. It came from a hobby shop return and was apparently only out for a day or so before it got returned with the broken drive shaft. Looks to have been only driven inside. Everything else was said to be in good shape. I have read a number of reviews where people broke driveshafts on the first run, so at less then half the price, I think I got a good deal. I would have planned on replacing the driveshafts anyways so no worries there. Should be here next week.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-02-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

So now the question is, what replacement driveshafts should I order? Thanks!

Last edited by Stomp; 11-03-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #44
Tib
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
So now the question is, what replacement driveshafts should I order? Thanks!

Order the barrage draiveshafts. They are larger and metal ends vs plastic. You have to shave some plastic around the motor/tranny housing but not a big deal. Trim the shafts a little shorter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply. Do you think these all metal ones would work? https://www.amazon.com/RZXYL-Univers...2832617&sr=8-1

I don't mind cutting and grinding them to length. They say they fit a 5mm shaft. Not sure if that is correct or not.

Thanks again,
Stomp
Old 11-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #46
Tib
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Do you think these all metal ones would work? https://www.amazon.com/RZXYL-Univers...2832617&sr=8-1

I don't mind cutting and grinding them to length. They say they fit a 5mm shaft. Not sure if that is correct or not.

Thanks again,

Stomp

They look like they could work. I didn’t measure the shaft. Go ahead and double check the measurements. At least they aren’t expensive.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #47

(deleted)

Last edited by GRTWHT; 11-16-2019 at 09:03 PM.
GRTWHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Is the gear train strong enough to run heavier aluminum wheels?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #49
Tib
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I don’t think so with stock driveshafts

Old 11-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

well I ordered that one set linked above. It looked nicely made, but the female spline was only about 1/2" long so shortening it would have left a smooth inside making it not work. I ordered this one from ebay as it is listed to be from 80-100mm. I measured the broken drive shafts and it measures 85mm at its shortest position. Hopefully these will work. At high speed they might wobble with the D shaped shaft, but on a crawler that should never be a problem. Anyone try these?

Old 11-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #51
Tib
Pebble Pounder

The barrage driveshafts are larger but with shortening them and trimming the tranny housing fit/run fine. We have been running them for about 10 packs now without problems. Maybe give them a try if these don’t work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Ewwww. D-shaped cross sections? That is literally the cheapest possible design for a sliding driveshaft.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Ewwww. D-shaped cross sections? That is literally the cheapest possible design for a sliding driveshaft.
Yep, they get good reviews though!
Old 01-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #54

Great Thread, got one of these for my son for Christmas, it has been a great little rig! added solder to the front wheels, went to the 380 size 27 turn motor, running 2s 1800mah zippy batteries and failed the driveshafts like you did. went with these steel ones, having to trim the trans and grind the shaft down on that one end. Trimmed the one shaft a little bit so it wouldn't bottom out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X1Z449C4&psc=1

He broke the upper link bolt yesterday.....

I would suggest adding grease to the diffs, and checking the CV's that the cross pin set screw is tight.

Great little rig!!! been a blast in the basement! and on rock piles!

I also found some cheap SCX10 original metal axles that look like they would drop right in.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3GHZ2JVZ&psc=1

I'm playing around with the idea of getting rear steer on it..... guess I should start my own thread!
bdt00buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok, so since I could not buy one online and the closest shop is 120 miles away I did some searching. I found one that looks new minus a broken driveshaft. It came from a hobby shop return and was apparently only out for a day or so before it got returned with the broken drive shaft. Looks to have been only driven inside. Everything else was said to be in good shape. I have read a number of reviews where people broke driveshafts on the first run, so at less then half the price, I think I got a good deal. I would have planned on replacing the driveshafts anyways so no worries there. Should be here next week.

Great deal, congratulations! Driveshafts are an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib View Post
Order the barrage draiveshafts. They are larger and metal ends vs plastic. You have to shave some plastic around the motor/tranny housing but not a big deal. Trim the shafts a little shorter

X2

Quote:

With the replacement driveshafts, should be fine.

Those D-shaped driveshafts work but not a good design at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdt00buckshot View Post
Great Thread, got one of these for my son for Christmas, it has been a great little rig! added solder to the front wheels, went to the 380 size 27 turn motor, running 2s 1800mah zippy batteries and failed the driveshafts like you did. went with these steel ones, having to trim the trans and grind the shaft down on that one end. Trimmed the one shaft a little bit so it wouldn't bottom out.

He broke the upper link bolt yesterday.....

I would suggest adding grease to the diffs, and checking the CV's that the cross pin set screw is tight.

Great little rig!!! been a blast in the basement! and on rock piles!

I'm playing around with the idea of getting rear steer on it..... guess I should start my own thread!
Welcome, glad your having fun with your new Barrage too! Would be good to start your own thread and post a few pictures too as you're having fun crawling and modding it.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-21-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #56

How did you make the zippy pack fit? I have a 1200mah gens ace and I can't close the hood
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #57

And has anyone found stronger transmission gears?
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
well I ordered that one set linked above. It looked nicely made, but the female spline was only about 1/2" long so shortening it would have left a smooth inside making it not work. I ordered this one from ebay as it is listed to be from 80-100mm. I measured the broken drive shafts and it measures 85mm at its shortest position. Hopefully these will work. At high speed they might wobble with the D shaped shaft, but on a crawler that should never be a problem. Anyone try these?

i am running a set of those i have about 3 years on them and they held up pretty good but are now just worn out they do work realy good for the most part as long as your not over powering them

like mentioned earlyer make sure the set screw is tight and use lock tight on it that set screw and pin it likes to come out and lunch your spur gear and that tiny ring of metal used as a back up to hold the pins in is useless some one sugested soldering them in and ive found that works good for the most part atleast you wont loose the ring anyway

and dont cut them down as the d part in the female side is only about 1/4 deep so any cutting pretty much ruins the shafts

Last edited by ferp420; 01-22-2020 at 08:29 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #59
1RC

I have this crawler being imported, and i'm curious what parts does the Temper Gen 2 share with other ECX vehicles or other manufacturers like the Everest 16 or the Exceed?
1RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
How did you make the zippy pack fit? I have a 1200mah gens ace and I can't close the hood
I used these batteries below, I trimmed the battery holder so they would slide back touching the trans. I also fit a LIPO warning alarm so we don't discharge them too much.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XBKQ70BE&psc=1
bdt00buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote

ECX Temper gen 2... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new ECX Temper Gen 2 compared to my custom Losi Mini Rock Crawler sully420 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 11 09-26-2022 05:47 PM
ECX Temper Gen 1 FullyBad General Scale Talk 11 02-09-2019 07:32 PM
ECX Temper spectre Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 30 01-03-2017 11:59 PM
My new ECX Temper driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 02-03-2016 08:46 AM