Notices

Thread: ECX Temper gen 2...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ECX Temper gen 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTWHT View Post
My wife and I have swapped ours over to a GT3C receiver and WP 1080 ESC. We're running them on 2S LiPos and they are working great. The Capras are better, but not by as much as you might think.
Yeah I agree. These are really great little crawlers. I have been surprised at how good this little guy crawles. I moved both upper shock mounts to the lowest hole and that makes a big difference with it being stock. With heavier wheels and tires they might need to be moved up more, but as stock that really makes this truck crawl well. I am going to order the receiver and WP1080 for this truck tonight. I suspect there will be a shortage of that stuff in coming months with the coronavirus in China.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #82
Wwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Did you get a chance to put these in the Temper?
Not yet, I'm halfway through. I'm missing a lot of parts (rod ends, shock rod ends) and drill.

Here is some pictures, it looks that it will fit with no real issues. Front axle stock, rear axle MST.

For now lower links are extended for 5 mm, but it is better to move upper links mount to second hole. But it needs some sanding of transmission cover (see last pic).

Spacing between driveshaft and links looks good, no issues. In full compression of both shocks upper links are slightly touching plastic body (with ESC/TX), no real issue.

Upper links rod ends should be angled.

Last edited by Wwk; 02-22-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Wwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwk View Post
Not yet, I'm halfway through. I'm missing a lot of parts (rod ends, shock rod ends) and drill.

Here is some pictures, it looks that it will fit with no real issues. Front axle stock, rear axle MST.

For now lower links are extended for 5 mm, but it is better to move upper links mount to second hole. But it needs some sanding of transmission cover (see last pic).

Spacing between driveshaft and links looks good, no issues. In full compression of both shocks upper links are slightly touching plastic body (with ESC/TX), no real issue.

Upper links rod ends should be angled.
Looking good. Thanks for posting photos. Might I ask why you put the portal steering axle in the rear with lock outs? are you planning to make it 4 wheel steer? Also are you going to put a portal in the front as well? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2020, 12:47 AM   #84
Wwk

AFAIK, MST MPA is universal F&R axle, no rear-only portal axle. Of course I will put it to front as well, but I don't have necessary parts yet - f.e. rod ends for 3 mm screws. I live in Iceland, there is no single RC shop and import duties are incredible. So from time to time somebody brings me a lot of parts - my friend in US already have parts for ECX (rod ends, better servo, HH Revolver 380, Mamba Micro X etc), but he will come during summer. I need to wait.

I expect that front axle will fit without any issue, it is much easier to move upper link mount one hole backwards, there is plenty of space. And I forget to mention that this MPA portal axle is about 10-11 mm wider than stock one.

Maybe I will make 4WS in the future, but this car belongs to my 6 years old son and he broke everything he can. So fewer parts, fewer problems MPA axle seems to be made from much better plastic with thicker mounts that stock one. My son is crazy, he brokes stock axles three times, there is weak spot where upper links are mounted to axle.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Yes that upper link mount is a poor design. I bought mine used and that part was broken as well. $15 for a new housing fixed it though. Been trying to think of a better way to make a replacement mount for it in case it happens again. Or new axles of some sort might be an option.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #86
1RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTWHT View Post
My wife and I have swapped ours over to a GT3C receiver and WP 1080 ESC. We're running them on 2S LiPos and they are working great. The Capras are better, but not by as much as you might think.
Can the drive train handle Lipos? I have the stock battery still and I get about 30 mins of drive time out of it - would a lipo increase the drive time at all?
1RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RC View Post
Can the drive train handle Lipos? I have the stock battery still and I get about 30 mins of drive time out of it - would a lipo increase the drive time at all?
If you are running a 2s lipo the voltage is the basically the same and would not be any harder on the drive train then the stock NiMh battery.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #88

What kind of wheels and tires would one recommend for the tamper gen 2? Also what kind of gearing changes would need to be made if I went with 1.9's?

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk
gfrizz423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #89

I'm looking for a complete front axle to set up 4ws on my temper. Anyone swap out theirs and want to part with it? Thanks.
Shadytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:17 AM   #90
Wwk

My son brokes upper links holding screw. It is impossible to buy M2×30 screw here on Iceland, so it is easier to replace whole axle to MST portals and resolve the issues. Unfortunately I have no idea how to replace small shock shaft rod end and mount it using M3 screw next to lower links mount, so shock slope is almost useless for now. Besides of it, front portal axle looks to be usable. Steering angle is much better with no clearence issues.

Some pictures, front axle MST portal, rear axle (for compare) stock:

ToDo's:
- lower the car and CG using shorter shocks,
- need to find better shock mounts.

I've found some spare rod ends from Vanquish kit so I will use it for replacing both axles. They are shorter so maybe I will not need spacers in links.

(sorry for my English)
Old 03-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #91
1RC

Quote:
My son brokes upper links holding screw. It is impossible to buy M2×30 screw here on Iceland, so it is easier to replace whole axle to MST portals and resolve the issues. Unfortunately I have no idea how to replace small shock shaft rod end and mount it using M3 screw next to lower links mount, so shock slope is almost useless for now. Besides of it, front portal axle looks to be usable. Steering angle is much better with no clearence issues.

Some pictures, front axle MST portal, rear axle (for compare) stock:

ToDo's:
- lower the car and CG using shorter shocks,
- need to find better shock mounts.

I've found some spare rod ends from Vanquish kit so I will use it for replacing both axles. They are shorter so maybe I will not need spacers in links.

(sorry for my English)
very cool! If you created a build thread I would totally follow it.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #92
Wwk

Done. On front axle I used 2 mm screws until I think of something better. On rear axle I used spare servo mount to move lower shock mount to better position.

It performs well, but now it is more obvious lack of power. Revolver 380 and Mamba Micro X already waits for me at my friend in US, it can solve this issue.

In steep climbs it doesn't flip over more than stock setup. It is not surprise, because stock Temper is heavy at top and much heavier axles moves CG down. Stock 1.7" wheels doesn't fit to this MST MPA axles, I use 1.9" from Capra.

Edit: In real it sits lower than on this picture:

Old 03-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #93
1RC

Quote:
Done. On front axle I used 2 mm screws until I think of something better. On rear axle I used spare servo mount to move lower shock mount to better position.

It performs well, but now it is more obvious lack of power. Revolver 380 and Mamba Micro X already waits for me at my friend in US, it can solve this issue.

In steep climbs it doesn't flip over more than stock setup. It is not surprise, because stock Temper is heavy at top and much heavier axles moves CG down. Stock 1.7" wheels doesn't fit to this MST MPA axles, I use 1.9" from Capra.

]
Thank you for the photos!
Are the front axles these ones ?

Are the read axles stock, or are they MST as well? if so MST, which ones?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #94
Wwk

My last post shows both axles replaced. It is MST MPA axles, your link is correct. Note it is „universal“ axle, so it can be used front or rear, you need two same pieces.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #95

I bought a used Temper Gen2 on eBay for a good price and put the front axle on the rear of my Temper now I have 4 wheel steering. you will need a 3 port receiver and transmitter. I use a Flysky GT5 transmitter and a GS FS6 receiver. Works great but I fried the front servo, getting a metal gear upgrade for that.

The Temper Gen2 is very capable and a lot of fun.
ek071391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Nice. glad to see you got it finished. Would love to see it on the rocks.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Anyone reduce a few teeth on the pinion gear? Seems like that would make some difference with the stock motor and esc to help low speed control. Thinking I might try a lower tooth count pinion, but was not sure what to use for this truck. Looks like the stock pinion is a 22T 48P. Wonder how an 18T pinion would work? Do you guys know what the motor shaft size is? (2.3mm?) Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by Stomp; 04-05-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Anyone reduce a few teeth on the pinion gear? Seems like that would make some difference with the stock motor and esc to help low speed control. Thinking I might try a lower tooth count pinion, but was not sure what to use for this truck. Looks like the stock pinion is a 22T 48P. Wonder how an 18T pinion would work? Do you guys know what the motor shaft size is? (2.3mm?) Any thoughts? Thanks!
I think the Temper uses the same gearing as the Barrage, which if that's the case, your options are somewhat limited. There aren't many pinions for 2mm shafts. I've got a Gen2 Barrage, and I've recently been playing around with lower tooth count pinions. I've tried an 18T Traxxas pinion, and a few other 48P pinions for 1/8" shaft (by using a 1/8" to 2mm sleeve). They do slow the rig down nicely, but are all horribly noisy.

The last page of this thread contains several posts on the subject:

1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

If you come up with something that works better, by all means let us know.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Holmes hobbies 380 “weeeeeeevolver.” Castle esc, tactic 3ch. Old man emu with internal springs. Metal driveshafts (amazon trimmed to fit + tranny house grinding). Also stock 1.9 wheel/tire from scx10.2). Torque and control for days! Not to mention better speed!

https://youtu.be/KNVZ_ZiNeas

Stock gearing using 3S Lipo!!!

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 04-05-2020 at 04:30 PM.
CaliCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #100
Pebble Pounder

I just picked up a Temper 2. I’m not new to the crawler scene, but am stuck on whether I should run 2S or 3S in this little bugger.

Can someone lay out the pros and cons before I order some new batteries?
TIME MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote

ECX Temper gen 2... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new ECX Temper Gen 2 compared to my custom Losi Mini Rock Crawler sully420 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 11 09-26-2022 05:47 PM
ECX Temper Gen 1 FullyBad General Scale Talk 11 02-09-2019 07:32 PM
ECX Temper spectre Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 30 01-03-2017 11:59 PM
My new ECX Temper driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 02-03-2016 08:46 AM