Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Aluminum Panhard / Shock hoop mount question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Aluminum Panhard / Shock hoop mount question...

Just to give a quick back story, I’m in the process of a Chevy Blazer K10 pickup conversion (12.75” WB) mounted on a custom 10.2 chassis based build. It has a scale drivetrain with an overdrive transfer case. Rolls on a full set of SSD Diamonds with offset front tubes (passenger offset), SSD D-holes and 4.75 MT/R’s. I will also be mounting a scale 454ci big block engine in it.
In order to better fit the engine, I want to get the SSD wide front shock hoops, but these do not come with the integrated panhard mount (which I like). I’ve searched all over, even the SSD website, and the Aluminum Trail King Panhard mount is not listed as a part that can be bought separately.
Anybody here knows where I can get that part? I already emailed SSD, but just wanted to see if there are any other options I may be missing.
Thanks for any help.
1SLWMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Aluminum Panhard / Shock hoop mount question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLWMoFo View Post
Just to give a quick back story, I’m in the process of a Chevy Blazer K10 pickup conversion (12.75” WB) mounted on a custom 10.2 chassis based build. It has a scale drivetrain with an overdrive transfer case. Rolls on a full set of SSD Diamonds with offset front tubes (passenger offset), SSD D-holes and 4.75 MT/R’s. I will also be mounting a scale 454ci big block engine in it.
In order to better fit the engine, I want to get the SSD wide front shock hoops, but these do not come with the integrated panhard mount (which I like). I’ve searched all over, even the SSD website, and the Aluminum Trail King Panhard mount is not listed as a part that can be bought separately.
Anybody here knows where I can get that part? I already emailed SSD, but just wanted to see if there are any other options I may be missing.
Thanks for any help.
Good Question I am doing a similar thing. Need the swap things so the pan hard needs to go on the passenger side for me use.

Not looked for that piece yet, but I think it is built into their Shock Hoops themselves. I have 2 kits here (not to that part yet in the builds) but I do have a set of the SSD Front Shock Hoops that lean outward from the motor bay to give room for exhaust pipe. The pan hard is built into the one side which is meant to be on the drivers side. Which is why they probably don't offer the pan hard mount as a separate piece.

Would be very useful if the front axle and pan hard setup could be manufactured from SSD, so the off set tubes and all associated parts can be swapped from one side to the other, and all there parts will fit/work as intended.

I'll be at this part later tonight. Going to build the one kit as SSD designed it, but the other will need much modding to work as I want it too, and the pan hard mount will need a bit of work with my build concept.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hey Timmahh! How’s the build going?
So I got a reply from SSD RC and they said they currently do not offer the part as a separate piece, but they did say they would be releasing it very soon (didn’t go into details on how soon).
So the piece, as you by now may already know, is separate from the shock hoop and has the panhard mount integrated to it. I’m waiting patiently for that part to be available as I really need those shock hoops to make the clearance needed for my scale motor.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Got one nearly built up, but its going together as the manual instructs. Only major change will probably be shorter links and moving the rear shock tower a bit to shorten the wheel base up to 11.3 for the Class 2 with the Blazer body.
Though I may turn this into a Chevy Truck (flatbed woody) or maybe try to fab up the 8 ft stepside a limited number of these trucks had in the mid/late 70s. But for the general part, It will likely playing the part of a Blazer body, mounted on a Truck Frame so the wheel base will be a bit longer and I'll mod out the body most likely anyways making it look like a 10 - 15 yr old blazer body mounted on a C15 Frame. lol If it works, I'm down.

The other one where I am flipping the pumping to the passenger side is going ok. I have the front axle mocked up using the plastic tubes for mockup/testing.
This one will be going to a leaf spring setup and 11.3 wheel base to match the RC4WD Blazer body also, but Im really not all that sure it would need a panhard, or if the mid 70's Blazer had one on them with leaders. need to find some more front end pics.

So If I don't need the panhard (I may use it anyways but in reverse). The mount was with the Stock set of Shock Towers from the kit.

maybe you can source that bag from Ebay on a part out etc... Otherwise SSD make a panhard mount for the RedCat Gen 8 that may be able to mount on the passenger side.

Biggest issue I am seeing is getting the tranny to be a Right Drop (passenger side) instead of a Left (drivers side) They didn't engineer the transfer case to be mounted either way, strictly on the drives side. So if I can not mod it. I may pick up the GCM (out of Canada) Tranny, It amounts directly to the motor and is an SCX10II direct fit so will be a direct fit on the SSD, and can have the transfer case setup for right or left drop.
Gonna look at this other tranny and get it built up and see what it will take to spin the transfer case to the right side. If I can do it, I can make up a mounting braket to mount the transfer case upside down on the end of the tranny if I have too.
The GCM tranny is 200.

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-21-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Funny how both out projects are very similar, yet so different at the same time. I to am building a passenger drop drivetrain, but on a 10.2 chassis. My trans and transfer case combo is the RC4WD R4 and OD/UD t-case, ser as a divorced system. So, yeah different, but With their similarities.
Hopefully you get that transfer plopped without major issues. The GCM trans is a bit in the expensive side, but it is also a direct fit as well, so no fiddling with it when installing. Should end up looking a sweet ride. I’ll just have to wait it out and see if/when SSD comes out with that part I need.

Aluminum Panhard / Shock hoop mount question... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra aluminum shock upper mount fix? Itali83 Vaterra Ascender 16 09-17-2018 07:44 AM