Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Private trails and liability concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

Default Private trails and liability concerns

I'm tossing around the idea of having an occasional invite-only RC sessions at my house but I've got concerns regarding being held liable if someone gets injured while on the property.

I currently have a smaller crawling course setup which isn't much of an issue, but the additional acreage which contains mud\trees\rocks\hills may pose an issue if someone were to follow a trail and fall\get injured.

How do other people who have events at their private residence handle things like this?
DeadBattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Private trails and liability concerns

Talk to your insurance agent. Likely you're fine as long as you're not charging, and if you are worried about it then have them sign a liability release for before going out to crawl.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #3

Lawsuits usually boil down to who has the better lawyer. Unfortunately, right and wrong no longer rules. You could have your lawyer draft up a waiver, but even those are defeated by "better" lawyers.

Most people that would come to your property for fun probably are't going to be scumbags looking for a lawsuit. I'd say start out small and invite a few people. You can usually get a sense of a person's character the first time you meet them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict

At least its crawling and not a go fast session where someone could get hit by the fast car. Your other concern would be who do you want at your house? If you're out in the back 20, no worries. At the house, do you need to guard the valuables? I am on the other end of the spectrum in sorts, my drive spot is on private property and I know of the owner, but haven't met him. Was hiking there Saturday to see how it looks after recent rains, and nope, way too much brush to catch on fire so something go south, which would easily turn into hundreds of burning acres. I'll be the responsible one and abstain. As long as you aren't holding a "sanctioned" event, with you as the promoter, and don't charge as mentioned, that relieves some of the bad juju. Get to know the invitees and it is probably a non-issue. However, as Jato stated, sue happy people do just that, find reason to sue. Don't want to sound like the total downer, just be educated on your potential liabilities.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just tell the police the person was trespassing.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Just tell the police the person was trespassing.
I like your thinking!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Lawsuits usually boil down to who has the better lawyer. Unfortunately, right and wrong no longer rules. You could have your lawyer draft up a waiver, but even those are defeated by "better" lawyers.

Most people that would come to your property for fun probably are't going to be scumbags looking for a lawsuit. I'd say start out small and invite a few people. You can usually get a sense of a person's character the first time you meet them.
Pretty much agree with this, but I'd still have people do waivers anyways, just so you have everyone allowed "on file" so to speak.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the input so far! It would just be a for-fun thing. Not too much fun with the faster electric\gas\nitro vehicles.

and I completely agree with starting off with 1 or 2 people over to see how things go.
DeadBattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Get involved with the local crawler/trailing groups in your area. You'll meet people, get to know them, and develop closer friendships with those who suit your style. Then invite a couple of them to join you for a few hours at your place.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'll sign a waiver!! Can I come and play?
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Ya, I have draft waivers if you need one. We had 250 riders out for a group camp event, not an 'organized ride', so they signed a waiver that they were on their own.
If some dipshit breaks his ankle its on him. Crawling is relatively safe compared to adventure bike riding.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #12

In general your homeowners/land owners insurance has as general liability clause, and some may have a medical clause as well (ie a tree limb falls on someone and breaks their arm, and they'd like you pay for the medical cost). If you are charging, then they will NOT cover you as that would require commercial/business insurance. You can always get supplemental insurance for a day, just talk to you agent/broker and explain your concern. In general you can get a $1,000,000 general and $1,000,000 medical policy for a reasonable cost. I'd hazard under a $100 for non-commercial event with a small (under 50) group. Heck even ask people to chip in $5 and explain what's up. If the option is I pay out of pocket for injury, or my $5 covers my medical bills, I know which one I'm down for.
GCi in ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I'd say it largely depends on who you are planning on inviting. No one gets a waiver to have their buddies over for a cook out, having buddies over to crawl isn't much different.

However if the only thing you know about the other guys is they like RC, then a waiver might be a good idea.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #14

tread lightly, be respectful.

basically, chill.
Rocky Heap is offline   Reply With Quote

Private trails and liability concerns - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liability forms for your club? Jslick Chit Chat 43 12-10-2011 07:31 AM
SCRC liability insurance jetboat Illinois 9 05-17-2008 01:29 AM
club liability insurance jetboat General Crawlers 32 05-16-2008 08:32 PM
Concerns about CC MM - need a little help please. O.C.D. Electronics 16 03-23-2008 01:29 AM