Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Metal Versus Plastic Axle's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Metal Versus Plastic Axle's?

Not wanting to get off base in a Vanquish post so I started this, some are talking about how nice it would be to see a plastic axle housing from Vanquish. This is what I am confused about? Am I wrong to think that the weight of a heavier all metal axle down low is good? And that less weight of a plastic axle down low is now better? If indeed the more weight lower is better then why the push for plastic? Is the advantage strictly the cost difference?
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Metal Versus Plastic Axle's?

I think people like plastic axle housing better because they slide over the rocks better and do not get hung up as bad. I personally like the machined alum axles on my VS4-10 and like the durability of them. I don't have to much of a problem with snagging on rocks as I try to pick my lines a little better.

This is just my opinion though!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
Not wanting to get off base in a Vanquish post so I started this, some are talking about how nice it would be to see a plastic axle housing from Vanquish. This is what I am confused about? Am I wrong to think that the weight of a heavier all metal axle down low is good? And that less weight of a plastic axle down low is now better? If indeed the more weight lower is better then why the push for plastic? Is the advantage strictly the cost difference?
My take on the plastic request is...……… the plastic will slide over the rocks a lot better than the metal/alum made axles. As far as weight, most of the serious crawlers want to be able to put the weight down low as possible and on the corners! And Thirdly, the thoughts are that the plastic axles will lower the price of the builder kits. Just my humble opinion.
I would take plastic over alum any day. One after thought is the plastic doesn't show the rock rash the way alum does.
Ernie

PS: B-MOW71 and I posted at the same time, just about the same thoughts!

Last edited by CODYBOY; 06-11-2019 at 09:31 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
My take on the plastic request is...……… the plastic will slide over the rocks a lot better than the metal/alum made axles. As far as weight, most of the serious crawlers want to be able to put the weight down low as possible and on the corners! And Thirdly, the thoughts are that the plastic axles will lower the price of the builder kits. Just my humble opinion.
I would take plastic over alum any day. One after thought is the plastic doesn't show the rock rash the way alum does.
Ernie

PS: B-MOW71 and I posted at the same time, just about the same thoughts!
I agree with Codyboy! I run plastic axles on all of my other rigs and I am perfectly fine with them. The plastic does show less rock rash and these axles can be equipped with brass or alum tubes to stiffen them up and add weight. I would never swap them out with an aluminum axle.

EDIT: But I do like the looks of nicely machined aluminum axles. And since my VS4-10 came with the Curries I will continue running them. And I do plan on buying the new VS4-10 Pro with the new offset F9 front axle.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 06-11-2019 at 09:41 AM.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Rock snagging is not a big issue in my area as the rocks are mostly smooth. I have a VS4-10 with the aluminum axles on it and a VS4-10 Chassis kit with Axial axles on. The metal axle rig handles much better than the other one with plastic on the same indoor course for me. I consider myself old to RC but new to crawling, started RC in 1971 with a pulse proportional radio. If you have black axles I found a company called "Caswell" that sells a black anodizing touch up kit that works well to keep them looking good.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

A question of weight on the outside of a axle. Being the axle's used are solid suspension if you put weight on one side that would put more down force on that one side. If you put weight on each side it would increase down force on both wheels. If you put the same weights in the middle of the axle it would also increase down force on both wheels again. If you switched to a metal axle would that not put more down force on the wheels more than a plastic one with out weights?

Last edited by sherbs; 06-11-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

It’s all preference and set up. Light rigs can be great performers too if tuned right. Some of the TZ guys run 5 lb rigs. Others may run plastic housings and stuff the wheels with weights.

My favorite have been the ssd housings for performance. Great price. Good weight. And a nylon pumpkin for smooth action. Best of both worlds imo.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
It’s all preference and set up. Light rigs can be great performers too if tuned right. Some of the TZ guys run 5 lb rigs. Others may run plastic housings and stuff the wheels with weights.

My favorite have been the ssd housings for performance. Great price. Good weight. And a nylon pumpkin for smooth action. Best of both worlds imo.
I have both, plastic and metal, both with no extra weight. The metal axles perform better for me. But now that SSD option is interesting!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post

Ok danza, let me see if im gettin wat u said rite lol. The ssd axles have a plastic diff housing n metal axle tubes?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A question of weight on the outside of a axle. Being the axle's used are solid suspension if you put weight on one side that would put more down force on that one side. If you put weight on each side it would increase down force on both wheels. If you put the same weights in the middle of the axle it would also increase down force on both wheels again. If you switched to a metal axle would that not put more down force on the wheels more than a plastic one with out weights?

Assuming the two axles weighed the same, it would be better to have that weight focused towards the ends of the axles to resist rolling over. If the metal axle is heavier in total than it may counteract that.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Ok danza, let me see if im gettin wat u said rite lol. The ssd axles have a plastic diff housing n metal axle tubes?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
You got it

Pro44 Axle Case for SCX10 II
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

The theory is more about COG than down force, my thoughts anyway.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I'll take plastic housing with an F9 style carrier bearing retainer all day, every day. The aluminum that everyone uses for housings is pretty soft so it can gouge and get hung up. 7075 would be killer but rather expensive to make them out of although a much superior material choice.

Weight at the knuckles is always superior. Ever see a tight rope walker holding a bowling ball with small plastic rods sticking out of it for balance? Gravitational force at the ends of the axle is different than at the center. Which is why all the brass doo-dads and trinkets all over the axles don't help do much outside of pay vendors bills.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 06-11-2019 at 10:38 PM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Ive got all three types, all alloy , all plastic, and SSD plastic and metal.

I never have seen any difference on any of these sliding over rocks, what I do see is gouges in the plastic where i got hung up, the metal usually goes over , the softness of the plastic will "hold" the shape momentarily, where the alloy just scratches and slides over.....

My take is the SSD combination is the best . Nylon and metal
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Weight closer to the ends of the axle also helps combat torque twist better.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Plastic pumpkins, stainless tubes for me, plastic chub and link mounts.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #17

you can't really say "plastic" and call that material science.

All sorts of nylons, phenolics, different quality grades.

Just like a 3d printer. different materials for different applications.
Rocky Heap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Heap View Post
you can't really say "plastic" and call that material science.

All sorts of nylons, phenolics, different quality grades.

Just like a 3d printer. different materials for different applications.
Plastic is a very generic term and in this case it is a very valid term. How else would you categories axles made from proprietary polymer blends?
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #19

aluminum will definitely get hung up on the rocks and show the rock rash more but heavy axles are better. this why I love my boom racing metal axles, they may not be steel but they are harder then aluminum and hide the rock rash better then plastic and aluminum and they were cheap. probably why they are always out of stock lol.
KikRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Delrin FTW
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Metal Versus Plastic Axle's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 RTR plastic links versus aluminum: pros/cons FreedomRiding Newbie General 9 06-27-2012 03:45 PM
metal or plastic? nd4spdbh Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 09-23-2007 05:16 PM