Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What do you guys think of this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What do you guys think of this?

I'm planning to build a class 2 crawler and saw this available via online.

It's based on the Axial SCX10 but the frame and chassis are carbon fiber and aluminum. Has anyone else here have/tried this?

Price is around $200 - 220.
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: What do you guys think of this?

I'm pretty sure my crawling buddy has one of those, or one like it. First trip out it broke a steering knuckle.
If that's a china unit on ebay I would skip it, opt for a TRX4 chassis, or a new AE Element. Even a SCX10. Not much more money and ten times more reliable.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd vote for an element over this.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I'm pretty sure my crawling buddy has one of those, or one like it. First trip out it broke a steering knuckle.
If that's a china unit on ebay I would skip it, opt for a TRX4 chassis, or a new AE Element. Even a SCX10. Not much more money and ten times more reliable.
I will keep that in mind.

But I since materials are carbon fiber and aluminum, shouldn't it be more durable than the plastic ones. Well based on experience from other RC cars (on-road cars & off road buggies).
Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicadraus View Post

But I since materials are carbon fiber and aluminum, shouldn't it be more durable than the plastic ones. Well based on experience from other RC cars (on-road cars & off road buggies).
ill bet those axles are garbage and the internals are hardened chineesium so about as strong as warm butter and in my opinion the aluminum sucks it is flexable it bends and breaks cause its chineeseium also

it looks great sitting on a shelf though so if thats what your looking for thats a great choice i do some work for a guy who always wants a new rig built so it can sit on his shelf so i know it happens he has some axles that are simmilure if not the same ones the front shaft broke on the test run so they now have axial internals
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

yeah by the time you fix everything, you could have had a TRX4. maybe even a VS410 lol

aren't class 2 rules "metal C channel frame" or is that just class 1? if you are really wanting to shoot for class 2 i would read up on the rules.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:

The carbon fiber isn't the issue - it's the alloy running gear componentry. As mentioned, chinese-cheese alloy. Good carbon-content plastic, like Vaterra and Traxxas have, is more durable than a rigid alloy part. But lots of people think the bling of an anodized alloy is superior - it least it looks like it is, right?

And yeah, a shelf queen or display model is a vastly different animal than a comp crawler rig for the rocks. YMMV
Old 06-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hard pass. I'd definitely stick to something more mainstream.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's a real nice glass case chassis. Take that for what it's worth.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #10

Lots of hate here from people with no experience. I'll provide some positive information, also from a person with no experience.

If you dig for info on the forum, you'll find that while not many people have a ton of experience with this truck, there are a number who have bought just the axles and have had lots of good things to say about them. Likewise, guys using the transmission seem to like it. Aside from that, you're adding a carbon fiber chassis and some shocks.

Also, this truck is rebranded under the TFL name, and that truck is lauded as a "premium" truck and seems to be pretty well liked.

I would encourage you to do searches about "ebay axles" and "ebay transmission" and read up on what people are saying about those individual components.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A no name eBay rig or a rig from a manufacture with decades of proven performance and dozens of world titles in multiple areas?

Hmmmmm?🤔

Get the Enduro from Associated.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So many haters here.

Well I found out that this kit is made by Xtra Speed RC. Not all Chinese products are garbage. In fact, most (if not all) of what you guys are using are made in China. Not that I'm promoting them but many RC items have become cheaper because of Chinese manufacturing. I still remember when I was active with on-road racing, my KO Propo Twister 2.0 Hara edition ESC already cost $200 back in 2005. Motors are sold for $50-100 and batteries are sold for about $60-100 which will require you to have at least 6- 8 sets especially for race days.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #13
RCC Addict

It's not about being from 'china'.
Buy one and run it, report back how it does for you. That way you'll have first-hand experience!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The carbon fiber isn't the issue - it's the alloy running gear componentry. As mentioned, chinese-cheese alloy. Good carbon-content plastic, like Vaterra and Traxxas have, is more durable than a rigid alloy part. But lots of people think the bling of an anodized alloy is superior - it least it looks like it is, right?

And yeah, a shelf queen or display model is a vastly different animal than a comp crawler rig for the rocks. YMMV
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Hard pass.
Yep.

Quote:
It's not about being from 'china'.
Buy one and run it, report back how it does for you. That way you'll have first-hand experience!
Yep!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #15
JC3
Quarry Creeper

It has the battery in the very back. For that reason alone I wouldn't buy it!
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So many haters here.

Well I found out that this kit is made by Xtra Speed RC. Not all Chinese products are garbage. In fact, most (if not all) of what you guys are using are made in China.
Every part of that truck has been available individually for years, it is a relatively recent development that they have all been put together in a kit.

Since all of the individual components have been available for a long time, its well known the fit, finish, durability, and quality of material on much of them isn't very good. When you compound the issues of the individual parts to a whole kit, that does not make something I would spend my money on.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

If you're experienced and looking for something new, I'd say go for it.
If you're newer to the hobby, I'd say go something more mainstream.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Personally I would go for something with a lower cg center skid like the vanquish, trx4 or similar chassis. The scx10 will have a higher skid, witch is also good in some situations just not mine.

In the end you really have to throw some money around until you find what works best for you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #19

I received one of these for free from a Chinese supplier at work a few months ago. I've been running it on the trails/rocks for a few weeks and I really like it. Have not had a single issue with axles or trans and nothing else has broken. I like that it's nice and heavy, does pretty well on the trails. The only thing I wans't crazy about was the metal spur gear, but have since swapped that out for a plastic Kimbrough piece.

I most likely would never had bought it on my own, but after running it for a while I'm starting to really like it. I generally prefer high quality plastic to aluminum as others have said, but the weight of this thing has been a nice change of pace. If you can get a good deal on one I'd go for it.
87lc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lc2 View Post
I received one of these for free from a Chinese supplier at work a few months ago. I've been running it on the trails/rocks for a few weeks and I really like it. Have not had a single issue with axles or trans and nothing else has broken. I like that it's nice and heavy, does pretty well on the trails. The only thing I wans't crazy about was the metal spur gear, but have since swapped that out for a plastic Kimbrough piece.

I most likely would never had bought it on my own, but after running it for a while I'm starting to really like it. I generally prefer high quality plastic to aluminum as others have said, but the weight of this thing has been a nice change of pace. If you can get a good deal on one I'd go for it.
Good to see someone who's tried and owns one to judge.

Many people here are obviously judging according to pictures and not by actual testing of driving the kit.

What do you guys think of this? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hey guys any of you nj guys in central jerseys mikemollic New Jersey 15 12-23-2019 06:56 AM
What Do You Guys Think Lone Crawler Newbie General 5 01-06-2009 11:15 PM
what do you guys think?? throttleboy Electronics 8 01-14-2007 08:14 PM
any computer guys? how bout bronco guys? Bronco Fetish Chit Chat 10 09-11-2006 05:48 PM