Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Dlux's transmissions doubt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Dlux's transmissions doubt

Hi everyone,
I'm creating a self-built scaler with G10 chassis, 4-link front and rear and servo on axle (whose fundamental point is to get the least possible weight)... the axles I have in my house are those of a Vaterra ascender and I want to use it... now I arrive at my doubt, I am undecided between the two Erik's transmission (both of which I am evaluating with Berg gears)...
my considerations are:
- the Hamberger has a better position of the motor being lower so the center of gravity is lower, but it does not solve the problem of the torque twist for which the Vaterra axles are famous ...
- the Cheezberger would help for the torque twist being counter-rotating and I would already have overdrive on the front, but the high position of the motor does not convince me...
the motor that I will mount is a drone outrunner weighing only 80 grams, but that on a very light scaler is not so few for the center of gravity...
you between the two which you advise me?
Belvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dlux's transmissions doubt

Toss those axles in the trash and get something else. The gear ratio is very tall so the reduction is all in the trans which is chassis mounted which is what causes a lot of the torque twist issues. Geometry and shock setup can help but the easy button is different axles.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Toss those axles in the trash and get something else. The gear ratio is very tall so the reduction is all in the trans which is chassis mounted which is what causes a lot of the torque twist issues. Geometry and shock setup can help but the easy button is different axles.
the axles I can't change them, because at home I only have these that are also new... I would try to avoid having to buy another set of axles and continue to keep these on the shelf to collect dust...
Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you feel you are stuck with those axles, I would recommend flipping the rear axle and getting the cheezburger trans.

I cant really comment on how good or bad your torque twist will be after some mods to the rear axle with this trans setup but.. I would pick CODYBOY's (Ernie) brain on how he nearly eliminated the torque twist with these axles. I know he has a thread on it. I have a thread on it as well in the ascender section but I never actually got around to driving my rig.

basically, depending on the chassis you picked up you would either need to perfect the 4 link setup or go to a 3 link panhard setup if the chassis will allow it.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:32 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

if I decide to take different Axles what do you recommend? (I was evaluating either the Axial AR44 or the new Element RC..)
but now 2 more questions:
- having a reduction in transmission of 5:1 with a reduction of 3.75:1 to the axles does not risk being too much as a total reduction?
- would you decide for the new Element I will be able to mount the servo mount for AR44? (I looked at this: for AXIAL SCX10 II (On Axle), #XS-SCX230098BK ,(XS-SCX230098BK) by Xtra Speed Aluminum & Graphite Servo Mount )

Dlux's transmissions doubt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When in doubt, BRAAAP it out! XcrawlerkidX Chit Chat 1 01-09-2013 10:42 AM
when in doubt throttle out! looneybin Chit Chat 3 01-26-2008 11:09 PM
Transmissions, Transmissions! Pros, Cons, All different typ kevinlongisland General Crawlers 5 06-21-2004 05:49 PM
The next tire? I doubt it... toyofast General Crawlers 1 05-10-2004 11:22 AM