Thread: Which 1.9 Scaler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Which 1.9 Scaler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Careful what you call crap

No trails! Find some; make some, ask someone.
By more crap to break, I meant more stuff to break I'll ask my LHS if they know of any trails around. They are into crawling there.
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Not necessary if just crawling. Just more stuff to break.
Is the 2-speed even necessary if I did find some trails? How fast is first gear in the TRX, walking speed? If so, that's good enough for me
Old 06-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Much will depend on your setup. So it is hard to say...
Size pinion, what motor (kv or T's). Lipo 2S or 3S.... etc.

There are always trails. Question is how far are you willing to go. I have some easy trails very nearby.
If i drive one hour up north, i have some sandy dune'like terrains. If i drive an hour south, i have esc smoking, axle snapping and driveshaft breaking rocks.
My TRX's are the 2-speed version. It's always convenient to have high gear in back up, but personally i am a slow creeping and crawling mf. Dunno what kind of driver you are
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFoDes View Post
Much will depend on your setup. So it is hard to say...
Size pinion, what motor (kv or T's). Lipo 2S or 3S.... etc.

There are always trails. Question is how far are you willing to go. I have some easy trails very nearby.
If i drive one hour up north, i have some sandy dune'like terrains. If i drive an hour south, i have esc smoking, axle snapping and driveshaft breaking rocks.
My TRX's are the 2-speed version. It's always convenient to have high gear in back up, but personally i am a slow creeping and crawling mf. Dunno what kind of driver you are
I guess I would be somewhat spoiled. I picked up my wraith used from a guy locally. He put every possible upgrade part on The Wraith to bombproof it that is available. It came with a castle MMP and a Tekin 4600 KV sensored motor. It was geared 56 / 14. It can slow crawl over just about anything, but if I mash the throttle it will leave Roost behind it 5 or 6 ft and take off like a shot. It probably has the speed of a 2 speed tranny vehicle.

I guess it's better to have two speeds and not need it, or need the second gear every once in a great while, then to not have it and need it

I'm like you, I like to drive sloooow.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

True story....
I am an oldskool member of the Belgium Rockbounce Crew. Oldskool as in having to pass an "exam" on the graduationrock to become a member. A frigging piece of stone where you had to enter very slow creeping while sidehilling like crazy and then had to turn straight up to heaven while having to go full throttle because gravity was trying to pull you down.
It was here where we learned the power of a slightly smaller pinion, 3S and Rockbeasts tires

There are awesome microservo's these days. Amain has the Ecopower 640t. Better to have it, just in case... Then not having it.
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

I'm also looking into more scale & trail slow running through woods than crawling. Did on-road/carpet long ago. Definitely going the kit route in a different way. In the end I'd like a locked rear, unlocking front, and the two-speed trans because both seem useful to get out of jams (rather than me having to get it out of a jam). This is strictly for fun and to hopefully get me out of the house even if only the back yard. I won't be going fast on trails cause I won't be able to keep up (mobility issues); walking on uneven terrain is difficult enough for me (not even sure a trail vehicle is a good idea - but that's never stopped me before!). So rather than go the Sport route, I'm thinking of going with TRX4 Chassis Kit upfront, add a Sport body or something not Defender-like but w/ more scale details than a painted body. Blazer/Bronco too plain. Now, I'm spending more $$ upfront than I should, but my thinking is the unlocking diffs and two-speed will add interest more than a Sport kit w/o the options. Or am I nuts?! Will the Sport w/ locked diffs and single-speed keep me as interested? Thoughts? Suggestions? Better ideas? Value is more important than cost. Thanks!

Last edited by Rockin140; 06-29-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Rockin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Default Which 1.9 Scaler?

Enduro Sendero by Associated.

Similar in layout to a late SCX10ii, but made with solid parts and front OD, the shocks will prove it all . Issue with the popular TRX 4 is a high COG, don’t even mention a cage and extras added on it.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 06-29-2019 at 08:31 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

Similar in layout to a late SCX10ii, bit made with solid parts and front OD, the shocks will prove it all . Issue with the popular TRX 4 is a high COG, don’t even mention a cage and extras on it.

Hang up and Drive
I really like what this truck has to offer. Its a neat looking truck.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:

Similar in layout to a late SCX10ii, but made with solid parts and front OD, the shocks will prove it all . Issue with the popular TRX 4 is a high COG, don’t even mention a cage and extras added on it.

Hang up and Drive
Based on current offerings, I second this. This thing is a hell of a value. I would wait for the kit, as I like it has multiple length links and the metal transmission gears.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Honestly, I like a 1960s Ford pick-up body that is all rusty and weathered looking like a total POS with Wagon Wheel Steel beadlocks.
Vaterra Ascender F100 RTR or just the body on whatever truck ya get. My OG Va’Blazer is very capable and has only broken a couple front body mounts.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #31
RCC Addict

So many good trucks to choose from, so little money.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
This.⬆️

The RTR electronics are better (not fantastic) than the average RTR electronics to boot.

The stock tires are good and the included overdrive out of the box is a big advantage.

Pick up some inexpensive Lipos off eBay or Amazon (I like Ovonics 3s 2200 packs), a good charger, and for under $450.00 you’re good to go.

Leaves money in the budget for an aftermarket body and those wagon wheels too.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
What gives the TRX a high center of gravity vs the AE Enduro?

One thing I noticed about the TRX is battery placement (center towards the rear, where the Enduro is up front going sideways. What are the pros and cons of each?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What gives the TRX a high center of gravity vs the AE Enduro?

One thing I noticed about the TRX is battery placement (center towards the rear, where the Enduro is up front going sideways. What are the pros and cons of each?

The portals lift it for clearance, tradeoff is higher COG. I wont even mention the rummage sale rack and accessories up top.
Ive always mounted batteries up front for better weight bias for crawling

Hang up and Drive
Old 07-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
The portals lift it for clearance, tradeoff is higher COG. I wont even mention the rummage sale rack and accessories up top.
Ive always mounted batteries up front for better weight bias for crawling

Hang up and Drive
Does it matter what size batteries? My batteries are all full size, 3s is 5000mah, 2s 5200mah-6500mah. Are shorties better?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

That depends on use, the big batteries can give hours of trail time, but weight is one of those things you need, but not always where it ends up. I run 2200 small packs on some trucks, 4300 on others.

And I run 850’s on my Bully.

One of the nice features on the new Enduro, two battery trays!

Hang up and Drive
Old 07-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Does it matter what size batteries? My batteries are all full size, 3s is 5000mah, 2s 5200mah-6500mah. Are shorties better?

They're lighter. Some of the comp guys are running mini 2K to 2.5K mah packs placed strategically. Still get a couple of hour run time, and many will carry a spare or two in their pocket.

It's all a matter of what you want out of your rig, what you like to do with it.

Some are after power and speed with a brushless system, some like trail running, mudding, walking forest, some are into competition rock crawling under SORCA rules.

You got a TRX4 to start?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
They're lighter. Some of the comp guys are running mini 2K to 2.5K mah packs placed strategically. Still get a couple of hour run time, and many will carry a spare or two in their pocket.

It's all a matter of what you want out of your rig, what you like to do with it.

Some are after power and speed with a brushless system, some like trail running, mudding, walking forest, some are into competition rock crawling under SORCA rules.

You got a TRX4 to start?
I don't have a truck yet. I'm doing my research to figure out which one will be the best for me.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't have a truck yet. I'm doing my research to figure out which one will be the best for me.

I've been running Vaterra and Axial for a couple of years now, just got a TRX4 Sport kit, and the new AE Enduro. These newest ones are really cool rigs, both of them. You really can't go wrong with either. And both are an excellent platform to learn and grow from, performance is excellent on both, right out of the box. Plus both are available as kits if you want to build and/or customize from the get-go.

The TRX is a little more proven, and is just an excellent, solid platform.

The Enduro is brand new, but holds good promise. I've had the TRX out a couple of times and it is able to make all our tough lines on the rocks. My Enduro is so new I've yet to try the tough stuff, but that's coming this weekend. Preliminary testing shows great promise for it as well.

Pick yer poison! Be forewarned...it's super addicting!!

Have a great holiday!
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #40

Although I would recommend Axial, the best car for you will be the one you buy in the future. Any prestigious brand that your colleagues recommend will satisfy you. Drive and enjoy."Pulgares hacia arriba"
pedrolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Which 1.9 Scaler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scaler, scaler, scaler...what happened to the crawlers? Nubster Newbie General 30 05-04-2019 07:57 PM