Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Which 1.9 Scaler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #41

Default Re: Which 1.9 Scaler?

Why haven't you purchased the TRX-4 yet? If nothing else, it's currently the most popular scaler out there. I'd be shocked if it's not already outselling Axial.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Why haven't you purchased the TRX-4 yet? If nothing else, it's currently the most popular scaler out there. I'd be shocked if it's not already outselling Axial.
I haven't bought the truck yet as I'm the type of person who does exhaustive research on something before I buy. I'm not an Impulse buyer at all. Second reason is I won't have the money until August. A month will give me time to do research and then make an informed decision on which truck would be best for me
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Asking all of you kind people and getting your feedback on the vehicles you drive is part of my research
Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Another vote for the TRX4. I prefer the 2 speed and lockable diffs but many prefer the single speed locked diff Sport. Something for everyone. Frankly any of the trucks mentioned so far in this thread would be a good choice. Some models have more aftermarket support than others which should be a consideration if you plan to do any upgrades post purchase.

Last edited by Inspector86; 07-04-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

I to have been wanting a 1.9 rig and it's time!!! My nephew has a trx4 sport, I talked him into getting it, he and I love it!! great truck! but since we have it I'm wanting something different. which leads to the new releases, very exciting!! one is out of my budget, I'm impressed by the enduro so far a lot of great feed back here keep it up guys!!! And the trail king I'm really lookin forward to seeing how it preforms. And trying to be patient!!! For me it's between the last two. I prefer kits but the RTR Enduro is a bargin I think!! And that's where I'm at!!
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

You don't need to go with a kit even. Something like vanquished chassis kit or the $40 trx4 chassis on ebay as a base. Pick your own everything... I find that's what most of my rigs turn into.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I haven't bought the truck yet as I'm the type of person who does exhaustive research on something before I buy. I'm not an Impulse buyer at all. Second reason is I won't have the money until August. A month will give me time to do research and then make an informed decision on which truck would be best for me
Same here. I often research even cheap purchases.

I did not realize you were waiting until August though. In two months I'm pretty sure the TRX-4 is still going to be the king of the hill.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Enduro Sendero by Associated.

Similar in layout to a late SCX10ii, but made with solid parts and front OD, the shocks will prove it all . Issue with the popular TRX 4 is a high COG, don’t even mention a cage and extras added on it.

Hang up and Drive
I ask this with complete sincerity, does the high COG of the TRX portals make that much of a difference in making the truck more top heavy compared to a truck with regular, straight axles like the AE Enduro?
How much difference does battery placement make in the COG?

I've watched some videos on YouTube recently where the TRX climbs like a goat and the Enduro is somewhat mediocre. I'm sure the Enduro would benefit from some weight up front.

Last edited by MaX-D; 07-05-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Pretty much any of the current rigs can be made to perform easily. If crawling performance is what you're after I'd start with any form of 10.2 and eventually morph it into a Toyzuki chassis. Most stock chassis work ok but when you want exceptional performance stock is always lacking.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

What WT said

Watch Harleys current budget TRX build. Hes showing removal of the cage, UD/OD gearing, no brass added.
Ive got some great climbers, but lots of work and weight. My buddies Toyzuki is always a tick better due to it’s great design and weight bias

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #51

Quote:
I ask this with complete sincerity, does the high COG of the TRX portals make that much of a difference in making the truck more top heavy compared to a truck with regular, straight axles like the AE Enduro?
How much difference does battery placement make in the COG?

I've watched some videos on YouTube recently where the TRX climbs like a goat and the Enduro is somewhat mediocre. I'm sure the Enduro would benefit from some weight up front.
Portals are definitely a compromise as is any part on any vehicle. Portals add ground clearance, but they also give you a higher center of gravity. With straight axles you have a lower center of gravity, but at the expense of less ground clearance.

Throwing huge tires on a straight axle rig will also raise the center of gravity. You can theoretically have smaller tires on portal axle than you can on a straight axle truck and get the same ground clearance at the pumpkin which is what drags the most.

The Enduro Sombrero (or whatever the Element RC is called) is a flavor of the month truck. Before it was even released people were slobbering all over it. It hasn't proven anything - give it at least 6 months of real world use and abuse - and it has no aftermarket. Will it have staying power? To be determined IMO.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Thanks guys for your input. I'm still on the fence on what to get. We'll see.......
Old 07-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys for your input. I'm still on the fence on what to get. We'll see.......

Howsabout a good look at the 1.9 Wraith. Proven parts and people that built them years ago still run them.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Howsabout a good look at the 1.9 Wraith. Proven parts and people that built them years ago still run them.
I have a 2.2 Wraith now. I'm looking more for a c channel type pickup truck scaler
Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #55
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have a 2.2 Wraith now. I'm looking more for a c channel type pickup truck scaler
Lots of nice trucks to chose from. You can either get a SBK from (Axial, Carisma, HPI, Traxxas or AE) plus a few I missed but these are all easy to find. IF you do RTR these same companies make nice RTR versions. I have an Ascender as my first truck as it was a RTR version and then did the Carisma Coyote kit version and then the HPI Venture RTR. Strange that I didn't get a Traxxas as you saw all my SCT builds I have done with TRaxxas Slashes over the years but wanted a little different thus the Carisma and HPI. I like all 3 of the trucks I have now and just use a different one each time out. Be interested in see what you go with.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Default Which 1.9 Scaler?

The trx4 sport kit is fun. Sometimes i regret not going with the builders kit(the one with 2 speed and lockers) but then I remember that the chassis can barely handle to speed of the stock sport kit gearing off road on 3S. I dont really think it needs to go a whole lot faster with the 2 speed.

The diff locks are cool, but i dont enjoy driving the truck up some mild trail while i hike. I like getting into the gnarly boulder field by my house where I need lockers 100%.

My other truck is a losi rock rey, and its gone from rear locker only, to rear and center lockers, to now having front rear and center all fully locked.

Last edited by mass-hole; 07-14-2019 at 04:50 PM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Lots of nice trucks to chose from. You can either get a SBK from (Axial, Carisma, HPI, Traxxas or AE) plus a few I missed but these are all easy to find. IF you do RTR these same companies make nice RTR versions. I have an Ascender as my first truck as it was a RTR version and then did the Carisma Coyote kit version and then the HPI Venture RTR. Strange that I didn't get a Traxxas as you saw all my SCT builds I have done with TRaxxas Slashes over the years but wanted a little different thus the Carisma and HPI. I like all 3 of the trucks I have now and just use a different one each time out. Be interested in see what you go with.
I'm still on the fence. I'm definitely going with a builders kit regardless. I really like the AE Element Enduro Sendero, the SSD Trail King, and the Trx4 Sport. Love the look of the Ascender K10! The SSD TK is pricey, but you would probably never have to upgrade anything on the truck . I really like the TRX4 sport , but my front runner is the Sendero. Get a lot of bang for the buck with that truck.

BTW, I always enjoyed your Slash builds. Good times!!
Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 AM   #58
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm still on the fence. I'm definitely going with a builders kit regardless. I really like the AE Element Enduro Sendero, the SSD Trail King, and the Trx4 Sport. Love the look of the Ascender K10! The SSD TK is pricey, but you would probably never have to upgrade anything on the truck . I really like the TRX4 sport , but my front runner is the Sendero. Get a lot of bang for the buck with that truck.

BTW, I always enjoyed your Slash builds. Good times!!
Thank you. I had fun doing the write ups. Would still run them but the track don't get many SC 2wd trucks anymore.

Two of my friends got the new RTR Element. Very nicely laid out truck and the quality of it is pretty good to. Since your looking at the SBK version you can put and outfit however you want. Only problem they had after really running them hard for 8 hours total is the stock body is kinda thin and the stock servo is just ok and one of them friend the RTR servo. As far as the truck itself they have had no issues. My other buddy has the Traxxas Sport and it also is really nice and he has had zero issues with it. Can't go wrong no matter what.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Seeing some of the current problems with the element Enduro axles and a few other things, I think I'm going to hold off on this first version until they work the bugs out and perhaps pick up a V2 when it comes out somewhere down the road.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to pick up a TRX 4 sport. For some strange reason, I just really like that truck. Honestly don't care if it's scale or not, my main goal is to go out and have fun crawling with my 12 year old son

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Seeing some of the current problems with the element Enduro axles and a few other things, I think I'm going to hold off on this first version until they work the bugs out and perhaps pick up a V2 when it comes out somewhere down the road.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to pick up a TRX 4 sport. For some strange reason, I just really like that truck. Honestly don't care if it's scale or not, my main goal is to go out and have fun crawling with my 12 year old son

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

The TRX4 is solid.

I think your approach is solid. The whole scale thing seems to be semi-hypocritical around here anyways.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Which 1.9 Scaler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scaler, scaler, scaler...what happened to the crawlers? Nubster Newbie General 30 05-04-2019 07:57 PM