Notices

Thread: Do I want a Bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Do I want a Bomber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Had a HH 3500xl in the Bomber but pulled it out after about 3-4 runs. It doesn't handle speed very well. I broke the f and r axle case in 2 days time. Running 2.2 Showdown tires. I put the Redcat 17t motor in it and couldn't be happier. I also like the Trailmaster Sport 21t in it. Yes diffs are a weak link. I had the upgrade them with the 3500.

I put a Puller Pro BL 2700kV in the Rey and on 3S it can barely handle the power, its all over the place.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
RCC Addict

So you already have the 'racer-buggy' thing there. IMO a Bomber would too much duplication - unless you specifically want solid axles. A bomber can be setup to crawl much better due to this, but they're also not nearly as good for high speed.

To me it gets down to where your interests lie, what kind of crawling activity you really enjoy.
Have you made any decisions? Short lists?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Give your Rey a suspension tune, sounds like everything is way too soft. That said, IFS steering leaves something to be desired for serious crawling, kinda like crawling your F350 4 door truck..... Mine is fully independent suspension, one-off, and I haven't been out with anyone else to compare performance. That said, I also build go fast buggies. Until there are sanctioned races for them (Baja style), I find the Bomber is more fun. I'm new to crawling, but have bashed. Over that, somehow now. Here's my "big girl". Low cg by design, so the rubber usually stays down.

20190216_132818 by MAC FAB, on Flickr

20190216_133408 by MAC FAB, on Flickr
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Default Do I want a Bomber?

I appreciate the feedback everyone. I think i am gunna work in my Rey and try to get it dialed in. I was more focused on crawling, but also wanted to be able to do the occasional rip around the trailhead or whatever.

The thing that gets me with the rey is that the rear swaybar is SOOOO stiff. It cuts the rear articulation in half when its engaged. When its disengaged it flops around like a wet noodle.

That said, there is a guy on the local CL that has an unopened Bomber kit with a few upgrades he had planned. Its really calling my name. Price is a little higher than I wanted though.

Last edited by mass-hole; 07-13-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Its priced higher because I would bet they know the kit is discontinued and they are banking on that.

If you have the coin, love the hobby, love to build, and know you will enjoy the rig, get a Bomber, kit or RTR

It sounds like you want one you are just trying to find others to help you "justify" it. Nothing wrong with multiple rigs that are similar.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Its priced higher because I would bet they know the kit is discontinued and they are banking on that.

If you have the coin, love the hobby, love to build, and know you will enjoy the rig, get a Bomber, kit or RTR

It sounds like you want one you are just trying to find others to help you "justify" it. Nothing wrong with multiple rigs that are similar.

Not justify, just realign my expectations. Ive never driven one so everything I think about the Bomber is just made up in my own head based on sweet pictures from the internet lol. I didnt wanna dive in head first only to be disappointed.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:50 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

If you're just talking about the occasional rip. Get a quality brushless crawling motor like a Puller pro and stiffen up the springs by tightening that ring down when you want to go fast. It will sit higher and roll easier but for occasional use it might be acceptable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
If you're just talking about the occasional rip. Get a quality brushless crawling motor like a Puller pro and stiffen up the springs by tightening that ring down when you want to go fast. It will sit higher and roll easier but for occasional use it might be acceptable.

I actually just happen to have a Puller pro 2700kV on a Mamba Monster X. The rey literally breaks everytime i drive it in 3S, i am not even kidding. I just finished rebuilding the rear axle with new bearings and an SSD 3rd member after it spun one of the pinion bearings last week and ate the diff cup.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

If you break it every time sounds like you do more bashing then crawling.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
If you break it every time sounds like you do more bashing then crawling.

Yeah, because I drive it around my yard, which has no rocks, and then it breaks. Then I take my TRX4 crawling while I wait for new parts to come in for the Rey.

Basically it just never makes it to my crawl spots.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas makes some tough toys. My trx4 has a 2200kv puller pro and a mamba x on a 9t pinion. I crawl on 2 or 3s and bash on 6s. That thing takes a beating....

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 07-23-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Do I want a Bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM