Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Do I want a Bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Do I want a Bomber?

I have a Losi Rock Rey and TRX4 Sport kit currently. I am finding that I almost never drive my Rey because its not particularly great at anything. Its just ok for crawling because of how low and wide the chassis is, and its not great at bashing because of how "floppy" the suspension is. Take a corner at any kinda of speed and there is a good chance it will roll. I am sure I could fix this with front sway bars and what not, but then its an even worse crawler.

I pretty much default to the TRX4, which is a blast crawling, but not great for the speed.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Bomber is probably the truck that can help me fill both needs in one?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Do I want a Bomber?

Meh, dont expect anything to do both. You can set it up for speed, or set it up to crawl, but doing both well, not so much. Mostly because of the reasons you just listed on your Rock Rey.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

In a Yeti you can eliminate the rolls using better foams in the tires, in case of the Yeti ci deuce wild Std. Suspension can be dialed in using different springs and/or oil. I dialed my little monster in to be able for both Crawl and Speed, Just with minor changes, but it's a give and go between. The 2-speed helps a lot in combination with the HH pro-l.

But for bashing/speed there are definately better options like a Yeti, Rock Ray or Bomber......

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Meh, dont expect anything to do both. You can set it up for speed, or set it up to crawl, but doing both well, not so much. Mostly because of the reasons you just listed on your Rock Rey.
Yup...

You can set up the Bomber to be a rock racer, or a rock crawler, but it does not transition between to two driving styles without suspension retuning.

My Bomber is set up as a crawler, and it does pretty well (MambaX/1900kv/3S). The weak point I have found are the stock differentials.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Yup. I wanted a Bomber when they were selling Wraiths, had fun with that for couple years but now I prefer nice scale trail/crawlers and separate go fast, X-Maxx and Rustler 4x4 XVL.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I asked the same question late last year here: Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber???

Ended up building a kit and while it's blx as that's what they talked me into, it's stupid fast on 3s so I mostly run it on 2s, and it crawls great too. In fact, it crawls so well it puts 1.9 rigs to shame, so unless your buddies have them you end up driving your 1.9 instead. It also rolls and cartwheels easily if you're not paying attention - 3300kv blx with mambaX, stock gears.

So I have a LOT of $$ wrapped up in a toy (about a grand) that mostly sits. Kind of like my $20K motorcycle. LOL

For go-fast I'd get a slash, or a racer buggy, or something made for that. For crawling you have about the best rig there is already - I have one of each of all the crawler brands. I just like them a lot better for going out on the rocks or to a crawling comp. The new AE Element Enduro is really great, and a nice diversion from the TRX. I really think the TRX crawls a little better though, and if you put an overdrive front or under-drive rear in then I think it would be even better. The portal style axles really clear obstacles better.

That's about all I know.

Oh, and the bomber kit is discontinued and can be nigh impossible to find now.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

I use my Bomber as a moderate to high speed basher. With the sensored system I have in the rig has decent low end start up and has more speed than I require. It isn't torquey, but plenty good for threading tight spaces and lining up hits etc. As Browneye stated, it doesn't have the stability of an independent suspension rig, but for me, that is where the fun lay and why I run it on 3s. The Bomber is challenging to control but the visual results are rewarding when you pull it off.

I crawl with 1.9 rigs. The Bomber just hasn't drawn me in to set it up that way.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'd recommend a Yeti myself, that gives good speed and will rock 'race' almost as good as the Bomber, a live front diff lets it down for being very good at crawling, plus a generally soft suspension set up.
Get the foams and suspension dialled and they are quite the weapon.
I can't see the Bomber being any better than your Rcok Rey.
I ran mine brushless (albeit a 4000kv system on 3s so it was insanely fast) but switched back to brushed, it was more fun having a little bit of speed and very good crawling ability.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
I'd recommend a Yeti myself, that gives good speed and will rock 'race' almost as good as the Bomber, a live front diff lets it down for being very good at crawling, plus a generally soft suspension set up.
Get the foams and suspension dialled and they are quite the weapon.
I can't see the Bomber being any better than your Rcok Rey.
I ran mine brushless (albeit a 4000kv system on 3s so it was insanely fast) but switched back to brushed, it was more fun having a little bit of speed and very good crawling ability.
Is they yeti going to be much different than my rey?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #10

No... To me there is no 'in-between' rig that does both(well).. I sold my bomber off because it went to fast for its own good (I know I could've slowed it down, but where's the fun in that!)....
IMHO, if it's solid axle, it's "scale" or "crawler/trailer"... IFS is where it's at for speed.....
.. just my 2 cents
clodzilla319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #11

Sorry, not IFS,... full independent suspension ��
clodzilla319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'd say that a Rock Rey can be built to do just as well as a built Yeti. However, both run low with a wide belly prone to hanging up when crawling.

My Bomber #1 is set up with a Revolver 1800kv Holmes brushless and a Mamba X - I switch between 3S and 4S packs depending on what speed I plan to run it that day. It crawls like a goat, has been all I wanted it to be. I've got parts to build a second Bomber and will be swapping some parts around so that my original build will be more of a go-fast rig as it will have a Holmes 4100kv Puller Pro and a Mamba Monster X installed. The 2nd build will get the Revolver and be my slower-speed version, with a Xtreme Racing carbon-fiber railed chassis.

If you already have a Rock Rey, there's absolutely no reason to get a Yeti. I'd say if you're willing to spend a bit on upgrades, the Bomber would make a nice addition to your "garage". Kits can still be found in a lot of local brick and mortar hobby shops, they have many improvements over the RTR.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I've owned yeti, bomber, scalers. It would be kind of self serving to give opinion on one or the other, I actually prefer slash 4x4 over both for bashing. That being said, I have a bomber for sale if you decide on one. You can check it out in the classifieds if you wish.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I could consider selling my bomber as well. It was about a grand to get it where I thought it should be and it's really great, but gee, it's still a toy buggy. A fast one, definitely a hi-tech little crawler buggy that will really scoot. It's a KOH rig so it's cool.

Just getting the Locked-Up wheels and Barndog body panels was like, gee, this is getting to be a serious hobby. LOL

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Yea but honestly, the Barndog panels really make the rig. For a Crawler in 2.2 form I would say the bomber is a bit better suited than the Wraith. Especially if you have or can land a kit. Battery is already up front, has better ring and pinons, all aluminum links etc

Like the others have said, if you want to go fast you can set it up for that but the transition between the two can be difficult and expensive to pull off. For a speed basher Id look into something else.

The hobby is expensive, but anymore my attitude is Can I buy this and maintain it and still be and adult and pay my bills? Then, Does it put a smile on my face? Regarding any hobby.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Is they yeti going to be much different than my rey?
I've never owned a Rock Rey so I honestly couldn't say, but the Bombers don't tend to handle lots of speed well, where as my Yeti does and has done for several years now.
I am also comparing fairly stock vs stock, someone comparing a stock Yeti to a very built Bomber is an unfair comparison.
My Yeti is much improved now, but back then it wasn't.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Carter Fab and AMF make cool body panels as well...
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:10 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Had a HH 3500xl in the Bomber but pulled it out after about 3-4 runs. It doesn't handle speed very well. I broke the f and r axle case in 2 days time. Running 2.2 Showdown tires. I put the Redcat 17t motor in it and couldn't be happier. I also like the Trailmaster Sport 21t in it. Yes diffs are a weak link. I had the upgrade them with the 3500.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

from my exsperiance the ar60 axle housings wont hold up to any kind of real power metal housings are a must and ether the big bearing mod or thrust bearings are needed for.the inner pinnion to last
the wraith the bomber and the yeti all use ar60 axles so they all have the same issues
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Carter Fab and AMF make cool body panels as well...

I built some for my Rey:

They dont look that good anymore lol.

Do I want a Bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM