Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: New rig

My C2 rig is still a Vaterra.
IMO the portal's ground clearance advantage outweighs the higher COG which can be offset with weighted hub covers and hardware. At least I find my basic TRX sport crawls nearly as well as my completely custom Vaterra.

I haven't had enough time with the Enduro to know for sure, but it sure does well right out of the box! It's a great new platform.

I don't think a stock SCX10ii is competitive any longer - nice platform to build from, but they really cheaped them out.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #42
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I don't think a stock SCX10ii is competitive any longer - nice platform to build from, but they really cheaped them out.
Yeah, I heard the same thing last weekend from some people who should know. Not good news.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #43
RCC Addict

After much deliberation, I'm still on the fence, but, this blew me away. Very impressive! This makes me want to buy one. Didn't know this truck was this capable.

https://youtu.be/N_wRUu4EuJE

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #44
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
After much deliberation, I'm still on the fence, but, this blew me away. Very impressive! This makes me want to buy one. Didn't know this truck was this capable.

Yeah, that guy is great. We do stuff like that all the time with our X4's. Do keep in mind that this accomplished only after a dedicated (extreme perhaps) weight reduction and CG lowering program. He has a separate video on how he did it. Well worth watching for any X4 owner looking for max performance. Not always pretty but definitely effective.

Last edited by JC3; 08-16-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Once you get bitten by the rock crawling thing it can be very addicting. They all do well with some mods and good tires and foams. For many this is the entire game. The club comps are a blast.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

All I see is large brass weights (rotors/hubs), wider offset hubs at all four corners, plain lexan body without any accessories, windows cutout and KLRs on stamped steel beadlocks....was there supposed to be something more? Any truck should do good with this setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Once you get bitten by the rock crawling thing it can be very addicting. They all do well with some mods and good tires and foams. For many this is the entire game. The club comps are a blast.
Yep!

Last edited by Natedog; 08-19-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
All I see is large brass weights (rotors/hubs), wider offset hubs at all four corners, plain lexan body without any accessories, windows cutout and KLRs on stamped steel beadlocks....was there supposed to be something more? Any truck should do good with this setup.

This is good to know. The guy in that video has $350-400 in upgrades on that truck. Forgive my noobness. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #48
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This is good to know. The guy in that video has $350-400 in upgrades on that truck. Forgive my noobness. Thanks.
You will quickly learn that $350-400 in upgrades, relative to that level of performance, is an absolute bargain.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #49

Is it better to just get the trx4 or go cheaper with the sport package?

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk
gfrizz423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm not seeing that much money, but hard to say without body off and checking upgraded gears, shafts, esc etc....could be though. No problem, just trying to help, you're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
You will quickly learn that $350-400 in upgrades, relative to that level of performance, is an absolute bargain.
Depends, always start with free/cheap mods and everyone has their level of hobby budget, I remember barely being able to afford a set of bearings back when everything came with bushings.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I'm not seeing that much money, but hard to say without body off and checking upgraded gears, shafts, esc etc....could be though. No problem, just trying to help, you're welcome.

Depends, always start with free/cheap mods and everyone has their level of hobby budget, I remember barely being able to afford a set of bearings back when everything came with bushings.
In the notes of the video he left a list of parts upgrades that he did to the truck. So I clicked on each link and added them up. I was just curious on how much he spent. He spent $150 on Samix brass on the front end alone if memory serves. I believe under drive and overdrive gears are $40 a piece. It adds up quick

Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #52
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrizz423 View Post
Is it better to just get the trx4 or go cheaper with the sport package?
I agree, it depends on a few things.

RTR is just that, a RTR - open it up and off you go. Modify or upgrade at will. While you're deciding you get to enjoy the truck and learn what it can do and also what you would like it to do.

The Sport kit gives you the pleasure of assembling the kit yourself if you like to do that. However, before hand or during the build you'll need to figure out electronics, motor, receiver, etc and then install them. Not a big deal but does require some planning.

My friend and I went with the Sport Kit. We always build our stuff and we knew full well that we would be upgrading the electronics and so we decided to spend the money on that. Either way, it's a win win!

As Natedog said, "...always start with free/cheap mods." This is for sure true and important since a few simple free mods can really improve the stock kit's performance.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Out of all my rigs, I like the TRX4 sport the best I think. It just flat works. Very easy kit to build as well.
It was my sixth truck, fourth kit, and not long after got the new Associated Enduro RTR. Like it too, but really, I think the portal axles have a lot going for them. Everything else between it and the Enduro are comparable. The under-drive gearing for the rear of the TRX have been backordered - in any case at some point you'll be able to match that feature with the TRX. Other than that, 550 motor, great chassis, good shocks and axles - it's all there.

I added the SSD portal covers, they're 70 or 80 grams or so, down low, at the end of each end of the front axle. This crazy thing keeps up with my comp rigs, makes all the lines in our proving grounds. A little weight on the rear axles would help a bit as well, but really, weighting the front for climbs and traction give really good performance gains.

My build thread here, and there are a couple more as well - scope them out and decide what YOU want. I didn't really care for the 'sport' no-name pickup, so mine got the Proline '68 Toyota LandCruiser. I don't have a lot of $$ in options on this one (yet), it's doing just fine with the portal weights and some decent tires and wheels. All that body and tires and wheels and all that is still in the box. A Holmes 550 Trailmaster motor and a hobbywing speed controller works great, about $60. Add the radio of your flavor. I'm running the cheapo DS3218 steering servo - works fine for what I do with it - $12-$18 depending on how long you want to wait. Built with the kit body it has a ton of accessory options, and performance is excellent.
66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 - TRX4
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #54
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: New rig

Quote:
I added the SSD portal covers, they're 70 or 80 grams or so, down low, at the end of each end of the front axle. This crazy thing keeps up with my comp rigs, makes all the lines in our proving grounds. A little weight on the rear axles would help a bit as well, but really, weighting the front for climbs and traction give really good performance gains.
Yes!

New rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tonka tow rig 4wd conversion recovery rig and trailer NissanNut 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 02-13-2015 02:36 PM