Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help Me Buy My Next Kit!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #1

Default Help Me Buy My Next Kit!!!!!

Hello,

So a little back story.......started with a scx10 honcho s/hand got bitten by the bug but didn't know any better so built a second rig from scratch with almost everything eBay could muster.....bought a trx4 blazer, built a austar rig for my youngest and now the other 2 want them as well ha ha, now i like my trx4 but i do kind of feel its over rated and the electrics are a bit junk, less than a month old and diff servo dead, friends has done the motor and esc in less than 2 months, we do clean them after each use and try to look after them so maybe just unlucky i dunno. basically at this point I'm keeping the trx4 and putting a few little upgrades on it, selling the rest and buying 2 rtr ascenders and one kit blazer, i spent good money on hh motors and wp 1080 speedy s so they can be reused this is for the kids to keep them all the same so parts is easier.

now I'd still like to have a second one but i cant decide what, other than i don't want another portal rig at this point

i was looking at a hpi venture kit for $300au but im concerned over parts with all the hpi madness lately but i do really like it

the ascender kits are $400au for comparison and come with tires

What should i buy? whats everyone's opinions?

I'm totally stuck, we plan on trail walking on weekends and a bit of bashing from time to time

Ive been up late for like a week trying to figure out the best plan of attack for basically my whole family having good reliable rigs that we can enjoy together without worrying about stuff breaking every 5 minutes, hell Ive even got the missus interested in tagging along using the traxxis ha ha.

Sorry for the novel everyone

Cheers

Last edited by Rav3n; 09-09-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Rav3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #2

Default Re: Help Me Buy My Next Kit!!!!!

Oh not just limited by the HPI venture or the ascender open to all opinions
Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #3

Are Carisma any good?? Just realised they are priced around the vaterra and i can get a kit for $300au comes with a body and wheels tires and speed control lol might look at these for the kids if they are good?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Not sure what price and availability are like for you, but check out a Enduro Sendero. You can get a RTR or a kit and they are pretty good right out of the box. Another choice could be the UMG10 kit from Axial.

As far as the HPI Venture, it is a good truck with great performance, so you can't go wrong with it either.

Last edited by Up'n'Over; 09-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #5

Yeah I've seen the enduro kit looks pretty good can get it for about 370, yeah I had my heart set on a hpi but parts seem a little iffy atm not sure if it's going to improve or not
Old 09-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you're worried about parts availability, then buy 2 kits or a used RTR and a kit, and you'll have spares for everything. lol
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would not go with the HPI when there are so many other great options available.

We really have no idea yet if/when the new owners (that just took over in July) will get everything sorted out - also, there aren't many option parts out there.

Ascenders are a solid choice, as are any of the SCX10.2 versions - but what is really hot right now is the TRX-4, and if you are on a slightly tighter budget - the new Element rigs.

You REALLY can't go wrong with any of those - any parts weakness or performance improvements that you could want are handled by easy-to-find aftermarket manufacturers.

Carisma aren't too bad, but there is next to zero support for hop-ups.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #8

Awesome Thanks for the Info, I'll probably grab 3 ascenders for the kids and I'll hunt around for an enduro and see where I end up, I'll start a build thread soon
Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

I've gotten back into the hobby and have picked up and have started upgrading a Element Sendero two weeks ago and have been very impressed. The RTR is a really good bang for the buck. Really great stock shocks and motor. Beadlocks and decent motors is a plus too. The kit looks good but IMO they should be including the hard plastics in it, not the RTR stuff. The hard plastics aren't too much extra so no deal breaker. It's been bombproof and has gotten very capable with some tuning and simple mods like better tires and heavier wheels. Also it's really cool the Enduro has overdrive stock and includes gears to go to 12%.

I'm building a TRX-4 sport kit right now and it's been nice how well the transmission and axles have gone together. I'm looking forward to comparing them.

You might also look for used Wraiths or similar. They are pretty great for doing everything and are super durable, meaning great for kids.
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have a Venture and absolutely love it. That being said, I can't recommend buying one. There's no aftermarket support and OEM support is iffy at best right now.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:05 AM   #11

all good guys biting the bullet and digging deeper into the hobby hole haha, ordering 3 trx4 sports and a trx4 sport kit for myself, traxxis family now i guess
Old 09-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Good choice. It's probably the best all-around truck out there right now for the price.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav3n View Post
all good guys biting the bullet and digging deeper into the hobby hole haha, ordering 3 trx4 sports and a trx4 sport kit for myself, traxxis family now i guess
Excellent choice! You will love the TRX-4 trucks and the kit is a joy to build.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Help Me Buy My Next Kit!!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which scx10 kit to buy? boxhead1996 Newbie General 8 11-28-2013 07:51 PM
Want to buy a Creeper Kit... Pita Venom Creeper 9 07-12-2013 09:30 PM
what kit 2 buy jasontech17 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 03-15-2012 09:44 PM
Buy parts or buy the kit? AK-Maxx Axial SCX-10 2 03-22-2010 08:49 PM
Buy a kit or buy just a pair of axles iphong Tamiya Clod Buster 8 04-26-2007 12:46 PM