Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Portals, overdrive, reversed transmissions, and flipped ring and pinions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Portals, overdrive, reversed transmissions, and flipped ring and pinions...

Looks like we have the beginnings of a trend here, some new ideas and some old.

With more manufacturers joining the fray and kit-bashing reaching a new level, I thought some additional discussion might be interesting.

Harley released a video that covers using multiple options combined together for increased performance here:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Portals, overdrive, reversed transmissions, and flipped ring and pinions...

Yes, I saw that video this morning. looks interesting.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Portals, overdrive, reversed transmissions, and flipped ring and pinions...

When I first heard about Harley using portals in the rear only, I was toying with the idea of assembling my VS410 chassis with an Enduro transmission and SSD axles.

Then I got pretty excited about assembling a variation on his build, continuing to use (more affordable for me) SSD parts, such as their rear portal axle.

But I realized that I would have to do some serious figuring as to how to gear everything to work properly and not have too much overdrive or an axle being rotated the wrong way.

For now I have put that project on the back burner, but the concept really interests me - I hope to see some other parts combined and tested and results posted.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see sthcale catching up to comp in less than the 10 year average it has been.

I had to chuckle when he mentioned the OD gears came from supershafty and not that they are a competitor brands gears. If VP would make an OD gear set the market wouldn't be forced to use others.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Nice to see sthcale catching up to comp in less than the 10 year average it has been.

I had to chuckle when he mentioned the OD gears came from supershafty and not that they are a competitor brands gears. If VP would make an OD gear set the market wouldn't be forced to use others.
Don't give them anymore product ideas. They can't keep up with demand now. Although I believe they don't make gears in-house anyway so after thinking about it I'm not sure why they don't have them...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:

Yeah Supershafty "OD gears" are great . I think I remember the excuse for lack of OD/UD gears being the number of teeth possibly compromising the strength, but I have some Hot Racing gears going into my 10.2 right now so we'll see. If only there was an axle we could mimic, in which the ring and pinion could be flipped at will, or the axle housing itself turned upside down without drama, which also had 3 available gear ratios for OD/UD tuning...
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
When I first heard about Harley using portals in the rear only, I was toying with the idea of assembling my VS410 chassis with an Enduro transmission and SSD axles.

Then I got pretty excited about assembling a variation on his build, continuing to use (more affordable for me) SSD parts, such as their rear portal axle.

But I realized that I would have to do some serious figuring as to how to gear everything to work properly and not have too much overdrive or an axle being rotated the wrong way.

For now I have put that project on the back burner, but the concept really interests me - I hope to see some other parts combined and tested and results posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Yeah Supershafty "OD gears" are great . I think I remember the excuse for lack of OD/UD gears being the number of teeth possibly compromising the strength, but I have some Hot Racing gears going into my 10.2 right now so we'll see. If only there was an axle we could mimic, in which the ring and pinion could be flipped at will, or the axle housing itself turned upside down without drama, which also had 3 available gear ratios for OD/UD tuning...
Don't put it on the back burner yet, take a look at this and the numbers! And SSD is coming out with the same ratio over drive gears. Not the ring and pinion can be flipped!

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00284.htm

I might do it just to show how easy it would be. I think, very little modding to make it work. And don't let the extra width scare you away, that could be fixed very easily! Just some thing to think about! And take a look at the price difference. Just saying.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Ssd diamond allows the 3rd to be flipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Don't put it on the back burner yet, take a look at this and the numbers! And SSD is coming out with the same ratio over drive gears. Not the ring and pinion can be flipped!

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00284.htm

I might do it just to show how easy it would be. I think, very little modding to make it work. And don't let the extra width scare you away, that could be fixed very easily! Just some thing to think about! And take a look at the price difference. Just saying.
Ernie

Swap that center out for their diamond style for an additional $13 or so and you have what you're after. I think I read somewhere that 15/15 gears are available too.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ayup, I just bought those for the 10.2 as well .
Old 09-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Swap that center out for their diamond style for an additional $13 or so and you have what you're after. I think I read somewhere that 15/15 gears are available too.
My thoughts exactly! And if the 15/15 are available we wouldn't even have to worry about the portal reduction numbers. I have a email in to Katan to see what he thinks. It wouldn't be much different than what I did when I built the rear axle for my enduro.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-06-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I don't think the extra width is really an issue on the rear because assuming you run SLW type hubs you could always just get the narrowest hub and a positive offset wheel (CI 6 bolt for example) to compensate, so it's a lot easier to fix compared to the front. I also don't think it's too much of a challenge with the correct parts, but as shown if you're trying to work with an axle/3rd member that can't be flipped, and both axles and transmission having overdrive, you're going to have a fun time.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
20K Club

It was a fun project, nothing crazy difficult to achieve with several different combinations of parts available on the market. It was also just a good excuse to make a video on calculating overdrive ratios.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
It was also just a good excuse to make a video on calculating overdrive ratios.

Thanks for that (I made it to the end of the video), I was doing it wrong forgetting to average the ratios.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
It was a fun project, nothing crazy difficult to achieve with several different combinations of parts available on the market. It was also just a good excuse to make a video on calculating overdrive ratios.
Very interesting.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly! And if the 15/15 are available we wouldn't even have to worry about the portal reduction numbers. I have a email in to Katan to see what he thinks. It wouldn't be much different than what I did when I built the rear axle for my enduro.
Ernie
I will reply soon
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I like this subject, I've built a rock buggy with everything mentioned but have yet to show it off. It uses a losi night crawler transmission in front that allowed me to drop the motor right next to the front differential that is then routed to a modified cheeseburger transmission, the cheeseburger allowed a slight amount of underdrive to the front axle, yes don't be confused I said underdrive, in the front I've used a vanquish vs4-10 front axle, the offset allowed the motor to be dropped low. Out back I'm using a vanquish portal rear axle, this overall gave me overdrive in the front due to the difference in gear reduction. The cheeseburger transmission reverse rotates the drive shafts allowing no mods needed to be made to either axle for proper direction of drive. So in short the truck has overdriven front, reverse rotation and portal rear axle while all maintaining a front mounted motor. If anybody is interested I can post pictures.
Rock solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock solid View Post
I like this subject, I've built a rock buggy with everything mentioned but have yet to show it off. It uses a losi night crawler transmission in front that allowed me to drop the motor right next to the front differential that is then routed to a modified cheeseburger transmission, the cheeseburger allowed a slight amount of underdrive to the front axle, yes don't be confused I said underdrive, in the front I've used a vanquish vs4-10 front axle, the offset allowed the motor to be dropped low. Out back I'm using a vanquish portal rear axle, this overall gave me overdrive in the front due to the difference in gear reduction. The cheeseburger transmission reverse rotates the drive shafts allowing no mods needed to be made to either axle for proper direction of drive. So in short the truck has overdriven front, reverse rotation and portal rear axle while all maintaining a front mounted motor. If anybody is interested I can post pictures.
Please share your project with us! And photos would be great!
Ernie
Old 09-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Please share your project with us! And photos would be great!

Ernie
Agreed! Would love to see this!!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock solid View Post

Interesting, Fast fast post up
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Name:  IMG_20190908_103328.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20190908_103423.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  154.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20190908_103438.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  177.6 KB
Old 09-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Name:  IMG_20190908_103520.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  139.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20190908_103500.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  170.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20190908_103339.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  177.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20190908_103402.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  181.9 KB

Portals, overdrive, reversed transmissions, and flipped ring and pinions... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP need ring and pinions MatrixTech Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 04-05-2007 11:03 AM
I Need Ring And Pinions For A Tlt Flex Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 02-06-2006 11:39 AM