Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Where do you crawl? Trails, rock piles forrest.... and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Where do you crawl? Trails, rock piles forrest.... and why?

As the title states, where do you go and why? Convenience? Location? Driving style?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Where do you crawl? Trails, rock piles forrest.... and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
As the title states, where do you go and why? Convenience? Location? Driving style?

Mostly here:

Its like 3 minutes from my house and i can run over during lunch(i work from home when i am not traveling somewhere).
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Everywhere, because I can.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Ive got a few places i go. Behind work (first pic), at water tower in town where i live (2nd picl, or at the park in town that we go shoppin (3rd pic).

I need to get more pics at the park, alot of great places to trail n crawl. Still have the red white n blue body, but run the supercab alot. The lexan body does wonders over the hardbody.

Always lookin for new places to go crawl/trail

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I mostly go to the Blackfoot RC Park here in Calgary. It's only 2 km from home. Fun and challenging.

Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice scale climb in my area - because it's only 10 minutes away:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

im mostly limiting my self to johnson valley these day becuse well i can
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I crawl river beds in winter, and Trails up the mountains in summer. I lean towards the trail run, rather than the rock crawling due to the area and my love for exploring. Longest trail run to date is the 18 mile run with my Trail Honcho. Looking at breaking that record with my Ultimate Adventuring Bronco.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:53 AM   #9

if im going to test something quick i go to the back yard. There are a couple of larger rocks and some fallen trees/branches that make for a good test spot. Other then that i go to a town or state park. theres enough of them within a 10-15 minute drive that i wont bored of the same paths. Ive been up here almost a year and still haven't gotten to them all yet.
turboturro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I run whatever I find when out. Creek beds to trails and private courses. My favorite is a deer trail, They seem to take you off the path and always have a nice mix of terrain..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

There’s no natural rock on surface where I live. So for actual rock crawling I look for rain run off areas for parking lots, ball fields, etc. Several walking trails nearby for higher speed stuff. Pine straw is the biggest issue locally for trailing as it gets stuck everywhere and balls up on the axles/wheel hexes. I had a pipe dream of building a backyard course but it hasn’t come to fruition. Too many kids, too many hobbies, and not enough time.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Reading all this has me thinking, how blessed are those of us who have a variety of epic terrains at their disposal, as comparing to those who have to be creative. My local favorite spot has a variety of different stuff, but you have to hike to get to it. 1000 feet of elevation in 1 mile to hit the top. Erom there going down at about every 100 yards it changes. Out hiking it with the wife and dog yesterday, found some new stuff I'm going to get to, makes me think of Moab. The only problem potentially is that my Bomber may be a bit too big to navigate some of the stuff, where a 1.9'r would be in paradise, of which I don't possess. Anyone else besides me while hiking or outdoors envision burning through battery pack on the trails or is it just me?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Usually instead of envisioning it, I bring a rig and drive it.... If the trail is a bust, no problem.... If it's epic, then I get to run my rig on a epic trail. Btw a bomber might struggle on the trail to the to St Mary's peak.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I crawl river beds in winter, and Trails up the mountains in summer. I lean towards the trail run, rather than the rock crawling due to the area and my love for exploring. Longest trail run to date is the 18 mile run with my Trail Honcho. Looking at breaking that record with my Ultimate Adventuring Bronco.

Very impressive. Most people don't run RC for that long. I do it. My record is 22 miles with Axial Bomber mountain claim/trail. Second bests were modified Revo for 20miles.

When i have few hours i go for a steep climb trail* ( not actual trail, its almost vertical on few places) where i test my trucks. If a truck can not clear the trail its not good enough

Scale for my is second, max performance first. The bad side to this is that its very difficult to find challenging terrain. That is why i do endurance trails. For 20 miles i can find few places that can test my RCs.

And final note, My biggest goal is to climb all Mountain peaks in my country with a RC with me. (Bulgaria. tallest mountain here 2900+meters)
Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #15

In my part of the northeast, we have old mountains that don't have a lot of exposed rock, so my crawling tends to be more trail rides, or focus on smaller rocky areas. Unfortunately, because the majority of the trails around here are made for walking/biking/running, they tend to not have the steep terrain that I'd prefer to run my trucks on. Some of the steeper areas are far enough from the parking that I frankly don't have the time/ambition to get to them.

Fortunately, I have a great area right on my own property that has some short trail and an old rock pile. I'm working with my son now to bring more rock into that area so that we can build a fun course that will help me with getting more useful footage for the vehicles that I review.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I live in Western WA state, and typically would go on long hikes in the mountains, because I was into hiking before I discovered scale 4x4 RC trucks. When I started seeing pics & videos of those things, the first thing that came to mind was taking them on hiking trails. That was my main application for the first 2-3 years, but when my family grew to include child #3, all that came to a screeching halt, so I've done very little for the past two years. Last December we managed to move out into the country, closer to some great trails, but I still don't have opportunity to hike. What I do have, however, is my own property, with sufficient space to build my own crawler course, so all this past spring & summer I've been doing just that, but it's slow going.

I've been wanting to go on at least one decent mountain trail, and have a week of vacation coming up, so I'm going to try and spruce up at least one rig for that. I'll probably drive up to a ski area, where there are some easily accessible trails(with good terrain), to save time and energy, because I'm not in good enough shape to hike up a mountain.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I live in Western WA state.
I take my RC on hikes as well. Makes things a little more fun while enjoying the views. With Lipo batteries you can take them on decent hikes.

Wildcat trail, WA

New Dungeness Lighthouse, WA (sign said no drones, but RC cars may not be allowed even though it wasn't noted anywhere. Only one ranger told me it wasn't allowed, the others seems to like it)

Old Woman, Kodiak Alaska (approx. 4-5miles)

xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

There's a Civil War battlefield near me that has a lot of really good rocks along about .5 mile of trail. It's a good sized rock garden and I can spend a few hours there like its nothing. I also like to drive along a few sections of the Appalachian Trail, since I know a couple of rocky sections and I just enjoy it there.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Where do you crawl? Trails, rock piles forrest.... and why? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Climbing on the dirt piles with the TRX Zippy1 Traxxas TRX-4 3 09-19-2017 01:46 AM
Lets see your backyard rock piles/courses throttlejock27 General Crawlers 17 03-13-2013 08:14 PM
The Crawler Innovations Rock Piles Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 45 11-27-2011 10:50 AM
NARCCA 2011 Comp#7 School House Rock Piles - PICS AZrcdriver Arizona 1 05-23-2011 10:49 AM