Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #21

Default Re: 2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I picked up the TRX4 Sport Kit in the spring and still haven't unboxed it

Now looking at a fall assembly, I think a set of Trax may be my xmas treat as well. Hopefully they actually do better in snow than wide tires.

I find it hard not to get caught up in the excitement surrounding the plethora of new rigs, but man, i feel like I need to wait for the dust to settle. I am looking forward to seeing what guys do with their Capra's. Like many, I find the draw of an entirely new chassis appealing
How did you have the ability to keep the TRX-4 in the box? LOL At least it will give you something to do as it gets cold and we're forced inside.

I do agree. A agree that it's a bit overwhelming right now. New scale rigs are coming fast and furious lately.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking?

I think the accessory I really want is more rocks for my backyard course. I'm at the point where I have more rigs than I can drive but having a convenient place to drive them all (backyard) is way more useful. I can drive multiple rigs when I'm home but when I take them out 2 is the limit.

I was eyeing a NIB AX10 for no good reason other that me being curious to know what they were like. I realized its a silly idea and I could just come up with my own AX10 using old wraith parts and 3D printing a chassis. This lead me to reconsidering the Capra as now when I look at it and see a bit of old Axial (shafty with tons of suspension travel).

Having an unfinished project on the bench makes it hard for me to consider any new rig though.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-18-2019 at 01:46 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #23
Gold Star Baby!

I’d like a Capra but want to wait for the aftermarket to catch up a little before jumping in, preferably axle housings and pieces. Waiting for parts to come out for the enduro has not been fun, hopefully SSD relieves that some before the end of the month. I’ve painted the sendero as many times as I’ve driven it (twice).

I’m thinking I’ll get one more rig this year and it will be a Trail King or VS4-10 pro. Neither of those will need much aftermarket wise and are killer platforms so they are topping my list. I also have a GC4 unicorn sitting around that I need to get parts for, that’s most likely to happen first.

Capra is a dark horse for me though, because it’s so different and a good price point, I’m also excited to fondle the new materials and see how new Axials will feel.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I picked up the TRX4 Sport Kit in the spring and still haven't unboxed it

Now looking at a fall assembly, I think a set of Trax may be my xmas treat as well. Hopefully they actually do better in snow than wide tires.

I find it hard not to get caught up in the excitement surrounding the plethora of new rigs, but man, i feel like I need to wait for the dust to settle. I am looking forward to seeing what guys do with their Capra's. Like many, I find the draw of an entirely new chassis appealing
Completely agree with ya there, man. I'm excited, but need to calm myself by making the final tweaks to the Enduro and drive it a bit. It's not like the prices of these new releases will go UP after release.

Definitely want to see a build or two of the Capra, and read the instruction manual once Axial throws it on their site.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I’d like a Capra but want to wait for the aftermarket to catch up a little before jumping in, preferably axle housings and pieces. Waiting for parts to come out for the enduro has not been fun, hopefully SSD relieves that some before the end of the month. I’ve painted the sendero as many times as I’ve driven it (twice).

I’m thinking I’ll get one more rig this year and it will be a Trail King or VS4-10 pro. Neither of those will need much aftermarket wise and are killer platforms so they are topping my list. I also have a GC4 unicorn sitting around that I need to get parts for, that’s most likely to happen first.

Capra is a dark horse for me though, because it’s so different and a good price point, I’m also excited to fondle the new materials and see how new Axials will feel.
Yeah, Capra upgrades will be a big deal, I'll bet.

SSD is releasing some interesting new parts - they just posted "spread" front shock hoops for that Trail King to allow for exhaust header installation, chassis extenders for the SCX10.2 to allow TRX-4 Bronco/Blazer body installs, and threw rear body post designs for the same up on Thingiverse...

Hope they don't forget about the Enduro!
Old 09-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #26
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

SSD is releasing some interesting new parts - they just posted "spread" front shock hoops for that Trail King to allow for exhaust header installation, chassis extenders for the SCX10.2 to allow TRX-4 Bronco/Blazer body installs, and threw rear body post designs for the same up on Thingiverse...

Soon! He posted this in another thread back on the 3rd.

You’re right though, he sure has been busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
It's all coming very soon. It takes time to measure, design, prototype, test, adjust, produce, pack and finally sell. We will have C hubs, knuckles, diff covers and link mounts ready in a few weeks. Less than 3 months is pretty fast really.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #27
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
How did you have the ability to keep the TRX-4 in the box? LOL At least it will give you something to do as it gets cold and we're forced inside.

I do agree. A agree that it's a bit overwhelming right now. New scale rigs are coming fast and furious lately.
I was given the ability by my kids who were out of school. The little shit's don't give me a moment to myself come summer. We are doing a lot more running and maintenance of the rigs in the summer. Thankfully the older one is able and willing to do some of the maintenance now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I think the accessory I really want is more rocks for my backyard course. I'm at the point where I have more rigs than I can drive but having a convenient place to drive them all (backyard) is way more useful. I can drive multiple rigs when I'm home but when I take them out 2 is the limit.

I was eyeing a NIB AX10 for no good reason other that me being curious to know what they were like. I realized its a silly idea and I could just come up with my own AX10 using old wraith parts and 3D printing a chassis. This lead me to reconsidering the Capra as now when I look at it and see a bit of old Axial (shafty with tons of suspension travel).

Having an unfinished project on the bench makes it hard for me to consider any new rig though.
I can relate to the convenient terrain issue. For me to get into rock and more appealing terrain requires a significant drive. We have been working on a backyard course for years, but it never feels as exciting and fresh as being on a trail in the woods
Quote:

No kidding . Axial rigs always appear to get the aftermarket love above all
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Soon! He posted this in another thread back on the 3rd.

You’re right though, he sure has been busy.
Yeah, I saw that - but selfishly didn't think there would be in-between releases for other vehicles...

Quote:

No kidding . Axial rigs always appear to get the aftermarket love above all
Can't really blame him for the SSD Trail King getting something first - bet that increases the appeal for those who really want to trick out the under-hood area of one of them!

But SCX10.2 part releases?

C'mon, man!

Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #29
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that - but selfishly didn't think there would be in-between releases for other vehicles...

Can't really blame him for the SSD Trail King getting something first - bet that increases the appeal for those who really want to trick out the under-hood area of one of them!

But SCX10.2 part releases?

C'mon, man!

Enduro parts will be out in a couple of weeks. There are plenty second wave Enduro parts in progress also.

The chassis extensions are from the Trail King anyway so it made sense to just release them separately.

I always have lots of stuff in progress all year round. So stuff gets released when they are ready with no real planned release order.
As fast as possible is usually the planned order.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Enduro parts will be out in a couple of weeks. There are plenty second wave Enduro parts in progress also.

The chassis extensions are from the Trail King anyway so it made sense to just release them separately.

I always have lots of stuff in progress all year round. So stuff gets released when they are ready with no real planned release order.
As fast as possible is usually the planned order.
I hope you realize I was just jokin' around! - hence the

I'm much more patient than I let on. Maybe if you were aware that it took me 2+ years to build my Bomber....
Old 09-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

SMT10 2....that is if its different not just a body change. But an Employee at Hobbytown told me last week they are making changes that she couldn't say. She did say she has heard anything about new axles. But yeah that's all I'm really interested in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Boy, I’m glad I’m not the only one with erratic build habits and hindrances. Well, for considering holiday purchases, I was contemplating repurchasing the UMG10 kit(since I returned the first one), and Horizon’s Kickoff Sale is pushing me toward that. With the last few weeks of compatible painting weather, I could possibly get the body painted, but, if it requires having the chassis mostly built beforehand, it’s doubtful I would even open it until next year. :( Having a 3rd child seems to exponentially impact the family dynamic.

No Capra for me, as it stands. Like Durok commented, the way a rig looks is high on the list of attributes that will influence an RC purchase, for me, and the Capra is too caged looking for my preferences. Plus, I mostly only have time for wheeling around my backyard, and wouldn’t utilize the added features of the platform.

Put me down on the TRAXX list! Doubt we’ll get as much snow as last year, but I handled a new Sport-Traxx model at my LHS, and it felt hefty and solid. I would like a set to put on my Defender, which I think they’ll look good on.

Oh, and I too still have a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled kit that hasn’t been opened yet! Just now pondering getting one of those new HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 motors for it.

Last edited by johnnyluv; 09-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

I bought the Enduro and the TRX-4 Sport. OSRC's BOM is in the mail to me also so I'm good for the rest of this year.
Atitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #34
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=svt923;5962976

Element Trailwalker - Same thing, smaller tires, ugly body: pass

.[/QUOTE]

LOL
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #36

Probably will get a Capra as I really want to play around with DIG. Looks pretty fun and that chassis looks like it will be pretty competitive.

In the last month that I've gotten back into playing with these things I've bought a RTR Enduro that is fairly well set up now, a TRX-4 Sport kit and full electronics that is all built but needs paint and have refreshed my old Wraith with new tires/wheels and a HW Axe 550 3300kv setup.

I think I'll probably just chill for a bit but a huge part of the fun is building and tuning.

Doing this with the kids is cool though and we've had some good adventures with the 5 & 7 yr old already.
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #37

Quote:
I’d like a Capra but want to wait for the aftermarket to catch up a little before jumping in, preferably axle housings and pieces.
The lack of aftermarket is where Horizon vehicles have greatly suffered in the past. I think that will change for Horizon with Axial since that name is still at the top of the crawler game. But going off of past experiences I believe the Capra will need much fewer upgrades than any HobbiCo Axial.

Why do you want new axle housings? For weight or something else?

Quote:
I was given the ability by my kids who were out of school. The little shit's don't give me a moment to myself come summer. We are doing a lot more running and maintenance of the rigs in the summer. Thankfully the older one is able and willing to do some of the maintenance now.
that's perfectly understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormallySkullking View Post
SMT10 2....that is if its different not just a body change. But an Employee at Hobbytown told me last week they are making changes that she couldn't say. She did say she has heard anything about new axles. But yeah that's all I'm really interested in.

Was the SMT10 2 ever confirmed? I've never seen that news.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The lack of aftermarket is where Horizon vehicles have greatly suffered in the past. I think that will change for Horizon with Axial since that name is still at the top of the crawler game. But going off of past experiences I believe the Capra will need much fewer upgrades than any HobbiCo Axial.

that's perfectly understandable.

Was the SMT10 2 ever confirmed? I've never seen that news.
It's been confirmed from Horizon Hobby rep to my Face and confirmed by hobbytown to me also. New monster truck specific axles. The Ar60's break in competition without beeftubes. They are too wide. Needs drop down trans and centered diffs.

FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #39
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:

Weight yes and I’m not super fond of one piece axle housings. A little concerned about the portal box cover having 4 screws and appearing relatively thin around the screw holes.

But mostly because it gives me an excuse to not pre-order one right now so I can finish other projects
Old 09-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Not sure if this is going to be available here, but new color for the good 'ol TRX-4 Defender:

Traxxas | New Yellow TRX-4 1/10 4WD RTR Land Rover Defender Crawler @Pre-Order Now #82056-4YLW – Team rcMart Blog

2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KCRC 2019 season schedule the DMG Missouri 1 05-07-2019 08:19 PM
2018/ 2019 Comp Season Mudeater67 New Mexico 3 04-28-2019 03:21 AM
Be safe this holiday season RCC ROCKEDUP RICKY Chit Chat 10 01-01-2014 11:53 PM
THE deal of the holiday season! Redfinger Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 11-29-2009 07:23 PM