Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Carisma or Redcat???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

Default Carisma or Redcat???

So, I obtained a surprisingly good bonus at work just recently. Decided it was going to go into getting my nephew and son some RC cars. They’ve been damn good and doing awesome at school so I figured they deserve a good toy this Christmas. I know I can buy them a 1/24 scale rig and they’d be thrilled, but I also would like to take them with me on crawling outings and just figure they’ll figure out better little games to play with bigger trucks.

So now to the question. I decided on 2 trucks, RedCat gen 7 or Carisma sca-1e.
Which truck do you guys performs better out of the box and has better durability?
Which one is faster to water proof out of the box, and overall a better truck all around.
Thanks guys!
luisfdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Carisma or Redcat???

Axial is the best, but if to choose from those, i would go for a redcat gen8

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I looked at Redcats before I decided to go TRX4 Sport. The Carisma was not even on the radar. I’d go Redcat Gen 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #4
RCC Addict

What's your budget? What are your thoughts about getting the boys kits and helping them build them?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfdt View Post
So, I obtained a surprisingly good bonus at work just recently. Decided it was going to go into getting my nephew and son some RC cars. They’ve been damn good and doing awesome at school so I figured they deserve a good toy this Christmas. I know I can buy them a 1/24 scale rig and they’d be thrilled, but I also would like to take them with me on crawling outings and just figure they’ll figure out better little games to play with bigger trucks.

So now to the question. I decided on 2 trucks, RedCat gen 7 or Carisma sca-1e.

Which truck do you guys performs better out of the box and has better durability?

Which one is faster to water proof out of the box, and overall a better truck all around.

Thanks guys!
Gen 7 Pro beats the Charisma any day in my opinion.
But if you're talking the Gen 7 Sport, then they're probably equally equipped and will both need upgraded parts fairly quickly I'd bet.
The Gen 7 will probably be easiest to get parts, and a lot of the parts are available on eBay for cheap if you can wait on the slow boat from China.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The gen7 is a scx10 clone and a reliable platform and won't need to much out of the box there are some week points mostly the plastic lockers the gen 7 also has vary cheap replacement parts and can use some axial parts when upgrading and there's alot of options for the scx10 also redcat made a crawler version the everest 10 and there a huge Section on the e10 in the redcat section of this forum another plus is the redcat is the same size as the axials and traxasss and most other rigs the carisma is smaller more a 1/12 scale rig or tamiya sized

The carisma doesn't have the support that redcat dose or the parts interchangeabuility so its hard to grow beyond the stock rig

The redcat is waterproof out of the box most are these days

Last edited by ferp420; 10-24-2019 at 08:41 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Do either options offer kit versions?
brianmiller502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
Axial is the best, but if to choose from those, i would go for a redcat gen8

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Best at what?

Of the two options you provided, I’d get the Gen 7.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #9

Both are good but if played with a lot, both will need parts. Some shops carry Redcat parts and you can find them online pretty reasonable. The Redcat also comes with a parts manual that gives the part numbers on everything so parts are easy to order. Redcats are also easy to work on. Don't know anything about the Carisma but it's a neat looking rig. I have heard that they don't have roller bearings, just bushings that wear out faster.
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Both of my boys have a Gen7 each. They both managed to break the c-hubs, one in 5 minutes - the other took 20 minutes. When they broke, each truck broke the opposite side. So I put one truck back together so one of them could drive his truck and I would only have to let the other drive my TRX4. That fix lasted about 40 minutes. Aluminum c's for both fixed the breaking problem, IIrc they were $14 per axle from ebay. Then the dogbones kept popping out and was the reason the c's broke. $16 each for CVD's. In over a year of their abuse the only other problem has been with one of the CVD pins being a touch too short. But I taught my son how to make his own slightly longer replacement. The only other part that would need attention would be the plastic gears in the transmission. Two of the three are plastic and the idler gear will strip. It's not a matter of if, but when, but the metal gear sets are only $15 from ebay. I also replaced their 550 motors for 55t 540's.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #11

In addition to the kit question from before, how would you compare a new Redcat or Carisma against a used Axial SCX10?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
brianmiller502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmiller502 View Post
In addition to the kit question from before, how would you compare a new Redcat or Carisma against a used Axial SCX10?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
The Gen 7 is similar in design to the OG SCX 10.1 axles and trans from what I know.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #13

Thanks for the input guys! So I kind of showed my son some real trucks to look at what actually interested him and he likes big almost monster truck vehicles, so I’ve decided on a Everest 10 and the Gen 7, both with some new servos and lipos.
I really hope the Carisma truck gets some more platform support though, it looks like a neat truck.
These dudes are gonna be happy happy happy when Christmas comes around!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfdt View Post
Thanks for the input guys! So I kind of showed my son some real trucks to look at what actually interested him and he likes big almost monster truck vehicles, so I’ve decided on a Everest 10 and the Gen 7, both with some new servos and lipos.
I really hope the Carisma truck gets some more platform support though, it looks like a neat truck.
These dudes are gonna be happy happy happy when Christmas comes around!
Great choice!

Old 11-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #15

I know the OP already made his choice, but I thought I'd clear some things upabout Carisma Sca-1e trucks, as others will come across this thread in searches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
...the redcat is the same size as the axials and traxasss and most other rigs the carisma is smaller more a 1/12 scale rig or tamiya sized
The Carisma's chassis is the the same scale as any of these, and many parts are pretty much interchangeable with SCX10 & SCX10 II (Links, axles, etc). The track width is as wide or wider, and wheelbases range from 285mm to 324 depending on the truck... nothing 1/12 about them, chassis-wise. The wheelbases can be changed/adjusted, too.

Quote:
The carisma doesn't have the support that redcat dose or the parts interchangeabuility so its hard to grow beyond the stock rig
Just as much parts interchangeability as other models, and plenty of support (they are more popular across the water, but everything is available here). Most retailers can replacement parts and upgrades, or you can buy anything direct here: https://www.carisma-shop.com/en/
Pretty much anything Axial will also bolt up, if not with minor modification. I have Axial steering links, shock towers and TRX4 shocks on mine, others I know have Axial, Redcat and Traxxas axles, aftermarket gearboxes and metal axles made for other brands, etc.

Quote:
The redcat is waterproof out of the box most are these days
The Carismas are all waterproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmiller502 View Post
Do either options offer kit versions?
All of their models are available kit or RTR. The Kits come with clear bodies and various upgrades as standard (upgraded shocks, wheels and tires, chassis mounted servo, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxRPM View Post
Some shops carry Redcat parts and you can find them online pretty reasonable. The Redcat also comes with a parts manual that gives the part numbers on everything so parts are easy to order. Redcats are also easy to work on.

Same with Carisma. My tiny shop near Austin doesn't stock Carisma (they don't stock Redcat either), but they can get Carisma-specific parts if I want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxRPM View Post
Don't know anything about the Carisma but it's a neat looking rig. I have heard that they don't have roller bearings, just bushings that wear out faster.
All of them have bearings; the kits are full bearing, as are some of the RTR trucks, but the RTR Lynx and Coyote have a few bushings (6 I think) in less critical locations. They can be swapped to bearings though, like anything else.
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #16

my i neeed a 3d printer

you win some you lose some its all a game to me

Lucky Patcher Kodi nox

Last edited by clarc; 11-09-2019 at 06:08 AM.
clarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #17

I know I'm a bit late on this conversation, I currently own a Carisma Lynx/ORV. Personally I love my rig, and have found out there are uite a few in the Upsate NY area. the SCA-1E (Coyote, Lynx/ORV, Range Rover , Subaru Brat and the F-150) Was the winner of the G6 recon competitions in 2018. Check it out, you might be surprised. On to he comparison, Both are equal quality in most overview. I have barrel rolled mine down a 6 foot embankment with only losing a windshield wiper and passenger side mirror. First thing is that I am the type of person that will bash until I break and then upgrade. with the price being a bit lowed on certain models, you can take some of that saved money and pgrade along the way. This is where I find the most fun. You can modify it to be your "OWN" rig. adding your detail and style. I went right out and got 2.2 metal beadlocks to add a little LCG, and some nice Hobbypark off-brand directionals with some lead weight to add to the LCG. it is geared a bit high, but if you are easy on the throttle, it's fine. eventually I am going to upgrade ESC and motor to a brushless with about a 2230KV, bring those turns down a bit. Parts are going to be a bit longer or harder to get through Carisma, BUT the SCX10 parts pretty much interchange. and as you upgrade, it doesn't matter what you start with, I can jam ANY link axle under there, even better yet, it's a c channel frame, I can modify it to leaf sprung suspension. I've been bshing on my Lynx for over a month now, and aside from body damage, haven't broken anything.
Tiptopchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiptopchevy View Post
I know I'm a bit late on this conversation, I currently own a Carisma Lynx/ORV. Personally I love my rig, and have found out there are uite a few in the Upsate NY area. the SCA-1E (Coyote, Lynx/ORV, Range Rover , Subaru Brat and the F-150) Was the winner of the G6 recon competitions in 2018. Check it out, you might be surprised. On to he comparison, Both are equal quality in most overview. I have barrel rolled mine down a 6 foot embankment with only losing a windshield wiper and passenger side mirror. First thing is that I am the type of person that will bash until I break and then upgrade. with the price being a bit lowed on certain models, you can take some of that saved money and pgrade along the way. This is where I find the most fun. You can modify it to be your "OWN" rig. adding your detail and style. I went right out and got 2.2 metal beadlocks to add a little LCG, and some nice Hobbypark off-brand directionals with some lead weight to add to the LCG. it is geared a bit high, but if you are easy on the throttle, it's fine. eventually I am going to upgrade ESC and motor to a brushless with about a 2230KV, bring those turns down a bit. Parts are going to be a bit longer or harder to get through Carisma, BUT the SCX10 parts pretty much interchange. and as you upgrade, it doesn't matter what you start with, I can jam ANY link axle under there, even better yet, it's a c channel frame, I can modify it to leaf sprung suspension. I've been bshing on my Lynx for over a month now, and aside from body damage, haven't broken anything.

I went with the redcat because I found a sweet deal. The rig was for my son so I didn’t really care about upgrades, but I will say, I didn’t really like the quality of the red cat out of the box. If I was to buy one for my self, I’d buy the cariama brat though!
Old 05-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #19

Carisma gets the job done and you can find them on sale for a a really good price every now and then. The parts/build is on par with my axials. My son loves it so the fun factor ranks really high. My local shop can order any part so that's always a plus.

I'm really impressed with my TRX4 sport build kit. This thing is beefy. Not the cheap feel build quality of my slash. It's not an XRAY by any means but you can tell they did a good job on the design/build. Huge difference between the TRX4 and axial/carisma. I'm not into rock crawling competition so your truck needs my vary. I have small backyard course for the kids which consists of rocks, pavers, tree logs, dirt, ramps and jumps. Axial, Carisma, Traxxas all perform well for trail riding through the track. You need strong servos and the tires make a big difference. But those parts can be changed on any truck. Eventually you will be creative and start modding the truck anyways so just get whatever appeals to you and have fun out there.
kimw880 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carisma or Redcat??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
carisma shocks bolo79 Micro Scale Rigs 5 01-28-2020 10:26 AM
Teaser Carisma.... Frank211 General Scale Talk 31 03-07-2019 04:10 AM
1/24 carisma?????? Frank211 Micro Scale Rigs 26 12-19-2018 02:13 AM
Carisma 1/24 Crawler sethstiles Micro Scale Rigs 0 11-12-2018 01:42 PM
A kit.... CARISMA ?? Frank211 General Scale Talk 27 07-25-2018 11:11 AM