Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kit

I am looking for a next kit build. I built a Vatterra Ascender kit last year and have been having a fun time with it. I also bought two of the ECX Barrage Gen2 trucks for my 5 and 7 year old who have also been enjoying it.

I would like to try a portal axle truck, and am trying to decide between the Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kits. I like the scale-ish look of the TRX-4 Sport, but the Capra seems like it might be more capable on difficult terrain since it is closer to a comp crawler.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Stomp
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kit

My own personal feelings on it are this;

Portals disqualify the vehicle for class 2 so why not also have the chassis and tire clearance to match the new class?

TTC or class 3 vehicles go for the Capra.

Class 2 or trail trucks go for something without portals.

The TRX is a goofy truck in my opinion, only good for easy mode trail runs with friends. Getting hung up and overcoming challenges in a tiny scale truck is half the fun, make it too easy and it gets boring real fast.

You already got the trail truck, so may as well get the Capra.

Just MY opinion, nobody needs to throw their toys out of the pram over it
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of my thinking with the Capra as well. I have a good trail crawler with the Ascender and don't really need duplicates of similar rigs. The Capra might be interesting because it could let me do some things that I can't with the Ascender. However, personally I think the TRX-4 Sport is pretty cool looking and would like to try the portals. Could always get portal delete kits later if I wanted. I do not plan to do any competition stuff with these. They are just for fun around my 40 acre homestead so that is not really a consideration for me right now.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

First, I'm a crawler newb, coming from off-road racing, so take my reply for what it is...I'm not advocating either one over the other, just giving you some things to think about, which, in turn, might help you come to a decision without "biased" answers from other people.

That being said, you first need to determine your use(es) of whatever you get, as the TRX-4 & Capra have two entirely different chassis...one is a rail frame, similar to 1:1 vehicles, while the other is a buggy cage. Additionally, the COG is going to be different (TRX-4 higher, Capra lower). While both can be "fun" vehicles, I see the TRX-4 as being more "serious", and the Capra as being more "fun". The Capra is brand-new, so there are currently very, very few "upgrade" options (although, I'm sure several will be coming soon). With the TRX-4, there are a lot of upgrades available.

Here's another thought - there are lots of YouTube videos for each vehicle, including build, as well as 'in-use'. My suggestion is to watch several of the 'in-use' videos, to see how people are using each vehicle...see which uses are what you're looking to use yours for. If you are 'attached' to one vehicle's "usage" over the other, then that's probably the kit you want to get.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The other thing that I think would be fun to try out is the DIG feature on the Capra.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

This is the video that got me interested in the Capra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VZeOUBPLIg
Old 10-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

What kind of land do you have on that 40 acres? Do you have a lot of rocks that would actually challenge the Capra? It would get pretty boring if you are out on the plains with no rocks in site.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
What kind of land do you have on that 40 acres? Do you have a lot of rocks that would actually challenge the Capra? It would get pretty boring if you are out on the plains with no rocks in site.

I agree with JDM74. This is exactly the reason my 2.2's almost never get rolled out any more. They just walk everything in my backyard course, where much of it challenges my 1.9's. (Short of loading up the 2.2's, tools, spares, batteries, and driving 30-45 mins to more challenging terrain - the 1.9's are my go-to rigs).

Having said that, I do intend to pick up a Capra. In the end, they're toy trucks, so get the one that's going to make you happy and have fun with it. You can't go wrong with either.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have a variety of options on my place. I have a creek running though my place, lots of down logs, small hills, some rocks, but loads of space to make whatever I want. I was thinking of bringing in a full dump truck of mixed rocks to build some more stuff near the house. Plus I travel to Kansas a lot to visit family and there are some really cool rocky areas there.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Here is another good Capra video by Bob Ross, I mean Mr. Holmes. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVb0rBy1cq8
Old 10-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Your options on these are both great for a next build. But your talking about two completely different trucks. If scale is more your thing, you cant go wrong with a trx4. They are a fun truck and handle really good. But keep in mind driving skills come into play. I dont have a capra, but it sure looks really good for a build as well. I do have a number that's a blast to drive with on the rocks and trails. The bomber is a great truck and drives completely different than any scale truck.

Imo I think you should get something different and mix it up with your collection. Me personally I like to have a little of everything. Curious to which truck you end up with.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Your options on these are both great for a next build. But your talking about two completely different trucks. If scale is more your thing, you cant go wrong with a trx4. They are a fun truck and handle really good. But keep in mind driving skills come into play. I dont have a capra, but it sure looks really good for a build as well. I do have a number that's a blast to drive with on the rocks and trails. The bomber is a great truck and drives completely different than any scale truck.

Imo I think you should get something different and mix it up with your collection. Me personally I like to have a little of everything. Curious to which truck you end up with.

I am more interested in having fun then being super scale. Not a modeler so that is not really my thing. I just like to see what the hardest thing is that I can crawler and go from there. Guess I am more of competitive type of person at heart, just don't actually go to comps right now.

I am thinking that maybe the Capra might be better for me so that I have two rigs that are more different and can do different things. Plus the Capra just looks sweet to me.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just get the Capra...quit "overthinking" things. Even though I haven't completely finished mine (still working on a "special" interior), I've been testing it, indoors & outside. For my first crawler, while I haven't yet had the opportunity to run it for an extended period of time, I can already tell it's a total blast. Again, you won't regret it.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have a trx4 and a class 3 toyzuki with trx4 axles and a capra so my advice comes from.

Get the capra. As much as I like my trx4 rigs the capra is just that good even stock.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
My own personal feelings on it are this;

Portals disqualify the vehicle for class 2 so why not also have the chassis and tire clearance to match the new class?

TTC or class 3 vehicles go for the Capra.

Class 2 or trail trucks go for something without portals.

The TRX is a goofy truck in my opinion, only good for easy mode trail runs with friends. Getting hung up and overcoming challenges in a tiny scale truck is half the fun, make it too easy and it gets boring real fast.

You already got the trail truck, so may as well get the Capra.

Just MY opinion, nobody needs to throw their toys out of the pram over it

Not true at all if you referring to Sorrca C2, you can run portals on C1-3 if you want...
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post
Not true at all if you referring to Sorrca C2, you can run portals on C1-3 if you want...
Thanks mate, I stand corrected
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

sounds like you NEEEEEEED both you can never have to many toy trucks
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Like others have stated, the Capra is an excellent rig. I've got an old Wraith Spawn, an Enduro and a Capra and the Capra simply makes difficult terrain look easy. Even guys that I crawl with with TRX-4's and a TRX-6 think that the Capra is an excellent choice. Now I'll admit that it's a different experience between the two so you might want to have them both!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #19

I have the TRX-4 Sport (my first crawler), and it sure is a blast on trails and through streams and downed trees

Seeing that you already have a crawler comparable to the TRX-4 (minus the portals), I'd probably go with the Capra

More variety is more better
Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thanks everyone. I have decided to go with the Capra. It looks like a sweet rig and that I would have a lot of fun with it. Next question I have is do you think I should get the current version or see if they will be coming out with a new version with any improvements?

Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question redpeppers Newbie General 13 09-15-2019 06:00 PM
TRX 4 Sport Kit vs Axial SCX10 II? mattbhm Traxxas TRX-4 24 03-20-2019 01:10 PM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-23-2018 07:19 AM