Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Losi trans / Axial axles???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Losi trans / Axial axles???

After 30 min of searching for an answer to my question I have decided to just ask. Hopefully this is the right place? I considered the SCX10.2 and Losi Night crawler sections as well...

So here we go. I am wondering if anyone has used the Losi night crawler transmission with Axial SCX10.2 axles? I know the gear reduction of each trans was different but not sure how much. I want to mount the trans forward in an SCX chassis with a divorced transfer case on the skid.

Any help would be appreciated. If this helps the power plant will be a MMP with a 3100 ROC412.
1.9x4.19 tires
Bugs Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: Losi trans / Axial axles???

It wont work, the LNC tranny doesnt have enough reduction in it to handle crawling with Axial axles.

The LNC tranny is something like 1.02:1 and used the redction in the worm gears (22:1 I think) where the Axial is something like 6:1 (ish) in the tranny and 3.5:1 ish in the axles.

Basically a LNC tranny with Axial axles is like rock racer speeds with no low crawl ability.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
It wont work, the LNC tranny doesnt have enough reduction in it to handle crawling with Axial axles.

The LNC tranny is something like 1.02:1 and used the redction in the worm gears (22:1 I think) where the Axial is something like 6:1 (ish) in the tranny and 3.5:1 ish in the axles.

Basically a LNC tranny with Axial axles is like rock racer speeds with no low crawl ability.

I appreciate it, that’s what I was worried about. Looks like I’m moving to a different option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bugs Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you picked a transfer case that offered between 3:1 and 2:1 reduction it would be OK. Otherwise, not enough total reduction.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yep, doing it right now. Chopped and Dropped Class 2 D90

But as mentioned, the final out put requires a big transfer reduction. I have designed and built my own to facilitate this, with 30% overdrive and to also allow for the additional reduction and drive reversal of rear only portal.

Im also thinking of designing my own front transcase, using the LNC gear stages and motormount, plus adding in one more gear stafe at the rear, so you could use it with a 1:1 transfer.

Last edited by nedmo; 11-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi trans / Axial axles??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial trans and Losi axles? Menace Kustoms Team Losi Comp Crawler 15 04-02-2015 09:39 PM