Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
Can’t say much for other axles but I like the ar44. The pumpkin is much smaller than original scx10 axle. If you get the version that has universals the steering is fantastic. Numerous options for overdrive gears. Not a big fan of metal housings. Great for weight but they don’t slide over rocks like plastic
Understandable. So, to resolve the "slide-over" problem, what about a plastic (such as delrin) axle skid? For example, does anyone make a skid (preferably delrin, but SS would also be good) for the Vanquish Currie F9 SCX10.2 axles?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2019, 01:35 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals.

A skid is going to reduce your clearance that you are looking for. If your looking for weight down low I'd swap out plastic axle parts for brass pieces.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Yes they make beef tubes, brass diff covers, brass knuckles......and they are not cheap. I have always ran a double wrap of lead wheel weights in the front wheels. Never had an issue with rotating mass. That is around 128g or 4oz in each wheel

A few years back I did a test and added different amounts to lead to the axle to see if it would make any improvement. I didn’t notice any improvement. I even added weight to the chassis and it got worse

I came to the conclusion that weight in the front is more for balance it keep it nose heavy. Now imo tires seem to work better when they run at a lower pressure like soft foam letting the tire bulge. When you have firmer foam maybe more weight can help. I would rather change the foam
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote

I need BIG help choosing the highest clearance axles without going to portals. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3racing high clearance knuckles(portals) - where to buy Slowkrawl Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 10-18-2012 10:21 PM
Another take on high clearance axles.. guest Tamiya Clod Buster 5 01-09-2008 04:01 PM
high clearance axles kacz7895 Tamiya Clod Buster 6 07-18-2007 09:35 AM
1:1 high clearance arched axles STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 16 12-07-2006 09:46 PM
SOOOOOPER High Clearance X Factor Axles DirkDigler General Crawlers 12 08-02-2004 07:39 PM